Do you leave your amplifier on all the time?

Kain

It's seems like that would be an issue with heat, but maybe not if it is VERY well ventilated. Mine is not very well ventilated so I turn it off whenever it isn't in use for a while.

P.S. Did you decide on a computer? It's killing me that I can't buy mine until my tax return comes in. Hopefully within a couple of weeks.

I do admit my electronics sound better when fully warmed up BUT, I also have this feeling that my equipment has a usable lfe, counted in hours, and I prefer to use this ifetime listening to music, not warming up my living room. I also know for a fact that my tubes have a limited lifetime, so I turn them on when I plan to listen, wait about 10-15 minutes before "gettin down to business" and turn everything off when done (except my DAC, which draws almost no power, generates no heat and has no tubes AND which the manufacturer recommends leaving on) My rule, fi it gets hot while running turn it o and off for listening. guess its my general aviation background that makes me think in operating hours. others have very different opinions. regards, tony

----------------

On 2/9/2003 12:10:57 PM dougdrake wrote:

----------------

On 2/9/2003 8:22:30 AM KAiN64 wrote:

I read that it is better to leave your amplifier on all the time. Is this true? If so, do you leave it on all the time?
----------------

I take mine off when I shower.

----------------

I use a preamp/processor to dry myself when I come out of the shower. 3.gif

Actually...it depends on the piece of equipment, whether it is WISE to leave it on for extended periods of time while it is NOT in use. Older vintage Solid State amps should be turned off after use. Many folks with tube equipment leave it on...but on "standby"...but it still takes away from the life of the tubes if there is NO "standby" on the amp! Simple rule of thumb is that if the amp has a "standby", then it is ok to leave it on during times it is not being used...if NO "standby", then turn it off! Personally, I turn mine off whenever it is not being used...no sense in wasting electricity.

If your Parasound is a Solid State amp then leaving it running 24/7/365 probably doesn't cost more than a few $$ per year. On the other hand if that is a tube amp you are pissing $$ out the window because of unnecessary power consumption and wear and tear on your equipment.

Would you leave your car running 24/7/365 because overall it seems to give a little better performance when used that way ? Not likely because you would be subjecting your engine to unnecesary wear and would not be deriving any worthwhile benefit .

I have read that too, and after comming from a

pro sound background,we used to leave racks of amps /processors/crossovers/equalizers on 24/7,with no ill effects.

But mind you thats pro sound, with amp racks and things in sometimes hard to get places.

But having said that i leave my own amp rack

on in my home theater system..mainly cause its

behind my center lascalla ,behind the screen.

but hey.!

I see no ill effect with modern SS equipment

Just make sure it gets cool air circulation.

I would not leave Tube gear on all the time.

system

klipsch lascalla L-C-R

klipsch KPT 484 subs x2

klipsch in wall surrounds

Stewart center channel ready screen

Panasonic DVD player

Hammond amp rack: fan cooled

bryston sourround processor

harman kardon cit 16A (x2)

dynaco stereo 416

bryston2BLP

double 20 amp power supply

This has always been a question in the computer world too. The arguments for leaving your PC on has always been that when you turn your computer on the circuits heat up, when you turn your computer off, the circits cool down. Thus lots of expand and contraction going on inside your computer. Theory has it that this can eventually weaken circuit joints and what not thus causing your computer or various cards in your computer to fail.

I am by no means an authority on this subject, just stating what I have read over and over in regards to computers and this subject. 1.gif

I've also read what m00n stated, and I agree with JM and others...turn it off when not in use.

When I get home from work, I turn my system on, let it warm up a few minutes (probably not necessary with SS; with tube gear it's another story), and then enjoy my music. Same thing with my PC (minus the warming up period). Living in "lightning alley" in central FL, I'd hate to leave my system on 24/7, then a summer thunderstorm come rolling in striking power lines and knocking out power, and then come home from work...only to find zapped equipment!

Better safe than sorry. Shut it off when not in use!