Best Jazz Recording(s)

ssh

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

CD Universe offers the opportunity to preview some cuts from most available CDs. They also list recording information that makes it possible to consider guest performers, engineers etc. With input from guys like Allen Songer and Bclarke421, it's pretty easy to make a good decision on what you might want to actually purchase. I like to check out the drummer and bass player on the recording. Some guys use a drum machine and although I have a few like that, there always seems to be something missing. This process has already saved me a few bucks. There may be other on-line sites that offer previews as well.

http://www.cduniverse.com

Another Buddy Rich fan checking in. You might want to check out "Buddy & Soul". I was fortunate enough to see him play in concert a couple of times. Once was on the Steel Pier in Atlantic City, which shows you I'm getting up there a little bit in years too. Anyway on "Buddy & Soul" he covers a couple of Doors songs, "Soul Kitchen" and "Hello I Love You". I was a big Doors (John Densmore wasn't your typical Rock 'N' Roll drummer) fan also. I remember seeing Rich on The Tonight Show quite a bit. Just a fantastic drummer.

Another recording to check out is Louis Armstrong & Duke Ellington, "The Great Summit - The Complete Sessions, Deluxe Edition". This one sweet set. I highly recommend this for anyone who is a fan of the Duke and/or Satchmo.

Cannonball Aderly- Know What I Mean? (SACD)

Herbie Hancock- Head Hunters (SACD)

Kenny Garret- Simply Said

Miles Davis- So What

are a few I like. track one on the kenny garret (not to be confused with Kenny G, er I hate him!) disc does a good job of telling you how much dynamic headroom your amp has, not to mention all of the tracks on it are very well recorded, and just good music in general.

I heard Chet Baker live only once--at Bimbo's 365 Club in San Francisco in the mid-1980's. He was a WRECK, but he played AND sang like a freaking angel. I was astonished that he still had any chops at all.

I think Chet is underrated in the current pantheon--his Pacific Jazz recordings are all excellent and the four LPs he cut for Prestige in the mid 1960's BURN. The 12" version of "Chet Baker Sings" on Pacific Jazz is one of my favorite LPs of all time--my wife still goes weak in the knees when she hears the opening of

"That Old Feeling" even after hearing on the hi-fi about a thousand times . . .

boomac,

Great link. Thank you. It will definitely save me some $$$. I totally agree with you regarding the value of our jazz experts (Allan in particular) around here. They have helped me immensely.

Thanks again,

Chris

the reference quality music CD...

Without any objective measurements, this is a recording devoted to squeezing the very last drop of realism, accuracy and musicality out of the performance, venue, equipment and engineers. DMP and Chesky stand out in round-up for their attempts to give superior audiophile quality recordings to modern jazz music

When you guys start getting in to some this stuff, post back with your positive and negative reactions. We can then suggest more recordings based on your likes/dislikes. I'm not around many people who like, much less understand jazz(y) music anymore, so I welcome the interaction! I like to straddle the purist fence, BTW, so don't be shy about more recent releases. I won't scold anyone for using a compressor.2.gif

In case anyone's interested, here's a link I found a few days ago... an Excel file (or word or text) containing the 2213 four star CD's in the 6th edition (latest-recent) of the Penguin Guide to Jazz. Makes a handy file to carry in yo Palm.

Penguin Guide Four Star List

John

PS: my reaction to the Gerry Mulligan Quartet with Chet Baker is way positive. Picked up a best of compilation CD and plan to look for some original (re)releases. Recommendations?

Here are my favorite Chet Baker LPs--I'm sure a lot of them are available on CD reissue.

1. Chet Baker Sings (Pacific Jazz)

2. Quartet: Chet Baker/Russ Freeman (Pacific Jazz)

3. Chet Baker & Crew (Pacific Jazz)

4. Picture of Heath (also called "Playboys") (Pacific Jazz)

5. Cool Burnin' (Prestige)

6. Comin' On (Prestige)

7. Boppin' (Prestige)

8. Smokin' (Prestige)

9. Groovin' (Prestige)

10. Blues for a Reason (with Warne Marsh) (Criss Cross)

11. The Touch of Your Lips (Steeplechase)

12. Once Upon a Summertime (Artist's House)

13. Baker's Holiday (Limelight)

Well, there's a "Baker's" dozen for you!

If you like the sounds of strings, try The Rite of Strings with Stanley Clark, Al Di Meola and Jean-Luc Ponte. That's an acoustic bass, acoustic and electronic guitars and violin and the recording is among the best sounding in my collection. Dave, have you listened to this yet? It's on your hard drive...

The following list of recommended Titles are now in my collection. They are all excellent in both sound and content. Lee Morgan's "The Sidewinder" is outstanding. Wow! This is a great thread!

(ShapeShifter) Lee Morgan - The Sidewinder

(ShapeShifter) Wayne Shorter - Speak No Evil

(ShapeShifter) Dexter Gordon - Go

(Falson) Dave Holland - What Goes Around

(Allan Songer) Chet Baker - Chet Baker Sings

Listened to Dave Holland's "What Goes Around" a couple times today. The neighbor and I were really impressed. I don't have the Scott 299 yet but this music sounds great on anything. You were right about this one Falson!

Not for tubes really, but can be enjoyed for easy jazzy listening: The Best of Fourplay.

Don't miss The Best of David Benoit also! Great musical detail. A masterpiece.

If you prefer for a more modern/contemporary jazz, try Rippingtons album, especially: Black Diamond or Rippingtons Live in USA.9.gif

boomac,

Glad you liked all the titles. The two CD titles below are also very good.

Dave Brubeck - Ballards (Legacy Label, released 5/2002).

Personnel includes: Dave Brubeck (piano); Louis Armstrong, Carmen McRae (vocals); Paul Desmond (alto saxophone); Gerry Mulligan (baritone saxophone); Bill Smith (clarinet); Eugene Wright, Jack Six (bass); Joe Morello, Alan Dawson (drums).

Producers include: Teo Macero, Russell Gloyd, George Avakian.

Recorded between 1956 and 1991. A personal favorite!

Dexter Gordon - One Flight Up

Personnel: Donald Byrd (T); Kenny Drew (P); Art Taylor (D); Niels-Henning Orsted Pederson (B)

Bill Evans Trio's Waltz for Debbie was a great suggestion.I've been through it twice over the weekend.Arne Domnerus' Antiphone Blues has as etherial a sax sound as I've ever heard-Beautiful recording-a bit strange,sax and organ.

SSH