I finally received my Cornwalls

mike stehr

rf3iicrazy,

It was not a matter of procrastination, but one of economic resources. Mike paid for them 9 months ago and had initially planned to pick them up in person, spend time listening to my Moondogs and maybe spend a day or so in the Bay area as my houseguest. When that plan changed, I agreed to hold onto them until he could arrange statisfactory packing and shipping with reasonable cost.

Everyone does not have a pocket full of cash or credit cards, but they still deserve to own Klipsch Heritage. I was glad to hold onto the speakers for him. Alls well that ends well. I hope he enjoys them as much as I did. I think he will.

Klipsch out.

All my tube amps sound good now.

I sold a pair of Black '95 Chorus II's to get these.

It's been awhile since I've listened to Chorus II's, but I think I prefer the Cornwalls.

Looks for one, I like the oiled oak.

The Cornwall's seems to have a smoother mid and top end,

IMO.

They may be more rolled off on the top end than Chorus II, I have no idea.

I get rather good output from my Magnavox SE 6BQ5 console amplifier, It's strange looking at this little five by eight inch peanut amp powering a pair of monster cornwalls

And sounding pretty damn good at that

Boiled Linseed Oil project this Weekend.

It's okay Tom, I'm not offended.7.gif

That is quite the amp collection of yours.2.gif

Congratulations Mike on getting your Cornwalls. I am sure you will

appreciate the Cornwalls even more

having endured a long period of waiting and anticipation due to unforeseen circumstances. I enjoy my 1977 Cornwalls-birch plywood stained in a light cherry finish with the riser with SET tubes-

Welborne Labs-Moondogs & Revellie

preamp. And my 1983 Cornwalls in

oiled walnut without the riser with either a solid state Mcintosh amp or Llano mosfet/tube hybrid amp & Mcintosh C38 preamp. The SET tubes win in quality of sonics & tone & actually can play pretty loud. The solid state gets the nod in unrestricted dynamics and high level headbangin' listening levels. Enjoy your Cornwalls & the sonic nirvana that they can give you.

Regards, Mike

Welcome back to the Heritage Club! Good things come to those who wait!

Dean sure opened a can of worms on his mods for these. He is headed down the right path with his approach, to be sure. I do highly recommend picking Dean's brain on this.....these mods produce results, without harming the good qualities of the speaker. This is highly effective at eliminating resonances, which allow the speakers to just "get out of the way".

I am usually reluctant to mod anything in such a fashion (especially when PWK designed them), but with such direct proof of results, it's hard to argue against it.

Okay, on the back of a Cornwall they have the serial number stamped at the top.

Off to the right of the serial # in the corner there is three stamped letters going from top to bottom, "USA".

Are these stamps from the first name of the builders?

Or is it just a indicator that they are built in the USA?

Curious.

----------------

On 6/13/2003 7:52:30 PM mike stehr wrote:

Okay, on the back of a Cornwall they have the serial number stamped at the top.

Off to the right of the serial # in the corner there is three stamped letters going from top to bottom, "USA".

Are these stamps from the first name of the builders?

Or is it just a indicator that they are built in the USA?

Curious.

----------------

When I asked Andy (HDBRbuilder, who built my '79 Cornwalls), he stated:

"..."USA" was normally stamped into the rear of the cabinets during final assembly back in those days. The "S" below my initial ("A") stood for Steve, who was my helper...yours were built very early in his time helping me...because the "S" should have been to the right of the "A", not below it...and for a short while, whenever he did the stamping, I had to remind him to put our codes side-by-side...LOL! Yours are some built during this "reminding process"..."

On the top left side of my cabinets are the stamped letters (from top to bottom) "ASZ", which represented the first letters to the builder's first names; "A" for Andy, "S" for his assistant Steve, and "Z" for the sander (Andy forgot his first name...I'm thinking Zack).

Then I would geuss Andy worked there when these were manufactured. Thanks, Jim.

I picked up boiled linseed oil and gave them a workover, and that cleaned them up rather nice.

The place reeks, and my girlfriend is chapped, but the speakers look good.

I received some Relcap polystyrene and tin foil capacitors for coupling for the output tubes in my Magnavox SE 6BQ5 amplifier, breaking them in now.

They were cheap.

As far the Cornwalls breaking up at higher levels, mine are in a small room (12'X14'X7'). So I really don't have crank them in a nearfield situation.

I know, Cornwalls are not nearfield speakers, but I'll have these Klipsch longer than this particular abode.

So at 80, 85 to 90 decibels, they sound fine to me.

No one to impress around here but me.

I'm going to just get used to listening to them for some time before going hog wild with mods.

And there is quite a few, trust me.

At comfy listening levels, this little Console amp and the Corns do pretty damn good with just the variable output from the CDP.

I here all sorts of things in material that I never did before.

I like these speakers.

Thanks for replies!