Dope From Hope Ready for Download

I have moved the 282 page Dope From Hope book onto my website as a 26mb PDF file.

If anyone wants a copy, would you kindly send a few dollars to my PayPal account and I can then give you a link? Anyone that already has the link, please keep it to yourself at least till I pay this off.

The PayPal account is my email, justin@soundwise.org and I am not asking for anything but a few dollars. Well worth it IMHO.

Once I get close to breaking even, or break even, would that not be great, I will post the address for all to see, but until then I need to ask for donations.

It came out very nice! 9.gif

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ditto. I just downloaded also. I'm glad I have a DSL connection, it would be painful at 56K.

I had some of the pages, but not all. I loved the layout of Mr. Pauls living room. Two grand and one console piano, K-horns and a Belle center!

Well worth a donation. Thanks Justin.

*edit*

It sounds like a lot of work went into making that a PDF.

It would be nice for Justin to get a little back for the time he spent putting it together.

Btw, what software did you use to make the pdf?

Cyclonecj,

No problem2.gif

Peace, Josh

----------------

On 6/26/2003 2:52:24 AM kenratboy wrote:

Isn't it kinda illegal to charge for copyrighted material and to do it on the Klipsch site? Just looking out for your own good.

----------------

While some of the material may be copyrighted I believe that copyright has expired on many of the articles of which a good many are out of print as I understand it.

While you may have a point I do not believe he's charging for the articles themselves but rather the cost relating to compiling them in one archive and related expenses such as copying costs.

Distinguish between making a profit on another's work and recovering reasonable out of pocket expenses for copying, etc.

I don't think Klipsch will mind. At least I hope not. It's not like Klipsch is reliant on monies from these technical articles for survival.

Additionally the more informed WE are the more apt we are to purchase even more Klipsch audio products. Now who does that benefit?

Tony B.

Tony B.

Tony is correct, I am not trying to make any money, just to break even, then it is free to all. When all was said and done, it cost $88.63, there were some other charges in there that I did not know about, only $5.

As you might recall, Artto did this as a print version.

This is legal because

a) I am not making a profit

B) It is for educational purposes (just like how you can copy pages from a book for a term paper)

c) There are no Copyrights on the papers (on a check of 50 random pages no copyright was found)

d) Any copyrights are likely expired

e) The Klipsch LLC trademarks, etc are not in the book, Klipsch LLC did not exist then I don't believe.

Tony B, you got Cyclone's link? I would still appreciate it if you would be as kind as to send a dollar. I am not asking for much here.

Invidio, I sent this to VCI Group to get it done. If I used my own scanner it would have taken days and its autosheet loader is not that impressive (the papers are two sided as well). But I do have a lot of the software Adobe makes such as Photoshop 7, Illustrator 10, Acrobat 6 Pro, PageMaker 7 and most recently, Premiere 6.5

I believe we went thru this copyright thing once before. Justin (I'm pretty sure) is using the documents that I copied from my personal collection a few months back for forum members. There is a lot more than just the Dope From Hope dealer newsletters. There are documents from the Klipsch Audio Papers, which includes reprints of technical papers going back to the 1930's, reprints from magazine interviews/reviews & personal correspondence with PWK (ie:the room layout drawing).

I already tried to contact a number of the organizations that own the copyrights to this material and they never responded. I also researched the copyright laws. All of these documents are, techically speaking, as far as the law is concerned, copyrighted. The copyright laws have recently changed, extending and expanding their time & application. However there is a section called "Fair Use" which covers reproduction for non-profit, educational, non-commercial, etc., types of use, which I believe this falls under.

http://www.copyright.gov/title17/92chap1.html#107

Stock in Just-In Inc. By and Part Catalyst Productions started out at $1.01, now sky rocketing to $20.56

Just-In Inc. is my news corporation, fully owned and operated by me, Justin. The news is of the freshest, just in, quality. You hear my news as it happens, almost before it happens.

Just in, Justin is on the move, leaving his desk to show a fellow bulletin board member what Klipsch and tubes sound like.

Caio.

• 3 months later...

C'mon Ken

justin had taken the time to post this on his web space, He is asking for a small donation. If he had made a paper copy and sent it to you it would cost, not counting his time, at lleast $3 to $4 dollars including shipping.

Some people were charging $15 for this document.

Thank you Justin. Count me in.

Scott

Scott,

A paper set (I think around 300 pages!) would be WAY more than $3-$4. The sets Artto ran and sold (at his cost) were around $20-something, as I recall. WAY worth it, too. Thanks again, Art!!

fini

Me too, Me too, I am willing to make a donation for the download link. I have a high speed connection at work and laser printers that could handle the job. I realize the time and effort that has gone into this undertaking. Should make for some excellent reading.