m00n gots a new toy! Oh yeah, hand me them speaker plans!

m00n

Yep exactly. It IS expensive, however, unlike audio the audio hobby, you can make money with this hobby when you get good enough. Plus as I mentioned, you can make Christmas gifts and what not and other things to make the wife happy (anything to help legitimise those tools 2.gif.

The planar/jointer combo was a Ridgid I seen at Home Depot last night. The biggest reason I stayed away from it was because it didn't have a very large cutting width. That may be just fine, I really don't know.

Oh yeah and Ed... I've been hanging round the Woodworking Forum. Nice bunch of guys.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

>>The planar/jointer combo was a Ridgid I seen at Home Depot last night. The biggest reason I stayed away from it was because it didn't have a very large cutting width. That may be just fine, I really don't know.<<

Ah, okay. The jointer is the last major purchase I have to make and I'm undecided on what to get. Cutting width is a huge factor along with bed length. I'd love an 8" jointer with a 72" bed but you're talking $900-1,300 for that if you go with a Delta, Jet or Powermatic. Grizzly and General are options in the $600-900 range but I don't know too much about them.

>>Oh yeah and Ed... I've been hanging round the Woodworking Forum. Nice bunch of guys.<<

Me, I've been lurking at the Woodnet forum. Lots of great info there. One of these days I'll register and start posting.

http://www.forums.woodnet.net/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php

----------------

On 1/24/2004 3:39:12 PM erdric wrote:

Me, I've been lurking at the Woodnet forum. Lots of great info there. One of these days I'll register and start posting.

----------------

Yup, registered there too. A lot of bickering goes on there. Just like some other forum I know (*caugh* KLIPSCH *caugh*) 2.gif

----------------

On 1/24/2004 3:56:29 PM Bruinsrme wrote:

That is the biggest piece of CRAP. I can't believe you wasted your money on that POS.
9.gif

drool drool drool drool drool jealous jealous jealous jealous drool drool drool drool drool

R922.jpg

----------------

Oh yeah man... A sawsall is a VERY much needed tool for framing/remodeling. A sure must have.

For a reciprocating saw, NOTHING beats the Porter Cable Tiger Saw. Smooth and powerful. A lot of guys like Sawzalls, but wish they'd got the PC once they try mine.

Not that anyone cares, but for woodworking tools, I would recommend: Drills: Milwaukee. Routers: Porter Cable. Circular saw: Skil 77 worm drive (I know... most East Coast wood butchers use sidewinders). Jig Saw: Bosch. Compound Miter Saw: Lots of good ones out there, DeWalt, Makita, Hitachi. I like one with a fairly high fence, so I can cut tall trim vertical. Levels: I used Stabilla for years. Great tools, never need adjustment. But I got to the point where I couldn't see the bubble well enough to make fine distinctions in critical levelling situations (hanging cabinets, etc.). So now I use Master Levels, and one from Levolution (which uses the same types of vials as Master Level). IMHO.

Oh... I think I will start small. Somthing like magazine rack for the bathroom. I dunno for sure. Actually I need to make some router and table saw gigs.... Ultimatly I will make some scalas if I can get me grubbies on some plans.

Just gotta start small. No need to rush into something big.

----------------

On 1/27/2004 12:27:45 PM picky-picky wrote:

Hmm...let's see.......8, 9, 10! Yep! They're all still here!

-Picky
"<a
http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/images/smilies/2.gif">

----------------

Heh... Yeah I hope they all stay there too. 2.gif

Man I love this forum. I have learned more about audio in the last 6 months then I would have ever imagined and now when I'm starting work on a DYI sub, I get these awesome links to woodworking sites. A wealth of knowledge is passed through this forum that is all I can say.

Oh, and congrats Moon, good luck and I look forward to watching your progress with the new tools. Maybe you will build a kick *** sub with a killer finish for us to drool over. There is nothing better than making a beautiful piece of furniture.

I use an older version of the 10" Delta contractor tablesaw...the newer versions have the T-style fence, but the price has not gone up on them any...they also often come with the locking wheeled base on sales around this time of the year. 500 bucks or so for a nice tablesaw is a real winning ticket IMHO. Of course, the real ticket is the quality of saw blades one uses...for veneers on plywood one should never go with any 10" blade using LESS than 60 teeth...keep that in mind...the same goes for cutting solid stock. Also remember that pine lumber is the bane of saw blades, even though it is NOT a hardwood...why??...simply because of the resin in the wood and the wear and tear on blades from the knots in it...pine knots will dull-up a saw blade quicker than ANYTHING! So, if you intend to saw pine lumber, work AROUND those knots! Hint! Hint! The best thing to do is to pick up a number of saw blades for your saw...use a permanent marker to distinguish between them for storage and usage, and use the sharpest one with the most teeth for detail work, especially for cutting miters on veneered material...and label it as such! Sometimes it is wise to purchase new blades for detailed projects, since one can often find a good deal on blades for particular tasks. A good stacked Dado blade set is INDISPENSABLE, and worth its weight in gold when it is needed! Also, it is cheaper and easier to make your own inserts for the table-saw top...making a separate insert for each dado width is the best way to go...this keeps bottom tear-out to a minimum. Have fun with your new toy...the tablesaw is the MOST versatile tool in a woodshop...as you gain experience you will find out unlimited new uses for it!

Don't forget the saw's table...wipe it down completely with thinner to get the shipping grease off of it, towel it dry and clean, then get some Johnson's paste wax (in the yellow can) and wax it and buff it...do this a couple of times...same for your sacrificial fence(ALWAYS use a sacrificial fence!!!)...and each day you use the saw, wax it and buff it again before using it...it sure makes the wood slide smoothly!!!...AND it keeps the surface rust from hitting the tablesaw table!!

As for LaScala plans...do a search...I posted those German LaScala plans with corrected dimensions a number of times in the last year or so on this forum.

HDBRbuilder

Thanks for the great info! When I purchased the saw I also got two new fredo blades. 80 and 40 tooth blades. I think the second was 40.. Damn can't remember off the top of my head. RIght now I am still using the blade that came with it. Until I'm doing something where I need the other blades, I will just use this one.

Right now I mostly trying to do little things to augment my shop. Like build some jigs and what not.

I do like Pine, if for no other reason, it's cheap. Truth be told, I LOVE that knotty pine look. My entire house would have knotty pine of my wife would allow it. She thinks it looks too much like you are sitting in a cabin. I look at here and say "Exactly". It's got a rustic, warm feeling to it. But good to know about it's knots being hard on blades.

damonrpayne

Right on! Show us those stands when you are done. 1.gif