WHY DO SO MANY PEOPLE BID EARLY???

Gilbert

Why in the hell do so damn many stupid morons bid on ebay items with days and days to go before the auction ends? I even see some of these idiots getting in bidding frenzies with other bidders with days still left on the clock.

Someone please explain to me why this happens. Especially when I see names that appear to be from members on this forum. It just seems so asinine when it's obviously not the best way to get a good deal.

Signed, pissed at the world.

Damn good question. There's a really nice tube on eBay I'd like to bid on, but it's already got 5 bids on it, and it still has over 5 days left on the auction! By the time this auction ends, there'll probably be way too many bids on it and the price will be jacked so ridiculously high as to not be worth it! I've seen NOS NIB versions of this tube for as little as $5.00 elsewhere, but because of this particular tube's manufacturer, you can bet it won't be this cheap.

If some of these schmucks who are early bidders are indeed Klipsch Forum members as well, then this tube will remain nameless!7.gif

If I see something that catches my interest I'll bid what I am willing to pay. If the bid stands I get it, if someone overbids me 3 days later in the last 5 seconds, well it was more than I felt is was worth to me...no loss. Most likely there will be another similar item available next week.

I got my 1965 Oiled Walnut Klipschorns that way - my bid held for 5 days and it surprised the heck out of me...But I feel I got a good value which is what really matters. The horns were local and in pristine condition.

Why let early ebay bidding be any factor in your life????

----------------

On 2/11/2004 10:23:15 PM Jon Anderson wrote:

Why let early ebay bidding be any factor in your life????

It's hardly fair to oversimplify someones comments with that response.

But i do agree on the bid what your willing to pay and forget it comment. I get just as pissed ( unknown reason , besides being an idiot ) when someone bids up an item past what it's worth to me . Silly ? yes ! but still gets under my skin .

Why would you care? I don't mean that to be a smart a@@, but really, so what if they bid early? You can't expect that an item will just sit there and wait for you to snipe it at the last second for next to nothing. Who would bother selling? BTW, there are times that an early bid catches the worm.

I bid early and I bid often. Why do i want to wait for 3 or 7 or 10 days to see if my bid is good? And you know what, sometimes those early bids win. If I'm selling something, I want lots of bidders who want my item, and will pay much more than it's worth. They don't want a good deal, they just want it!

I'd like to hear some facts that support that bidding at the end of the auction will get yourself a better deal than if you would have placed your bid early.

In the future could we actually phrase a question in a forum without disrespecting people for doing what they legally can in a free country?

NP - Thin Lizzy - BBC Live In Concert

I employ the bid early tactic but I buy very little from eBay, maybe 1 or 2 items a year. When I do bid I jack up the price so that no one snipes me in the last 5 seconds. I only bid on stuff I really want or if it's heavy & happens to be close to my area in an effort to save on shipping. Even an area that is close to moon base alpha will cost a crap load of cash compared to 90% of the rest of North America. In these cases I will pay close to new prices because like I said it's either hard to get or it saves me money on the shipping so what may look like a bad deal by some idiot to you is really a good deal to me. Someone else mentioned that its no big deal because there will be another similar item available next week. Maybe if you live in the US. Try going to eBay.ca and typing in Klipsch. Youre lucky if you get half a page with the in Canada search. Go to the Worldwide search and you might get close to 2 pages, 80% of which is crap like the old 4.1 ProMedias. Combine this with the markup a lot of companies, including Klipsch, do in Canada and other countries after the currency conversion and maybe now you can start to see what seems like a high price is still a good deal to others.

Strategies abound. But the seller usually wins. I wish I had some decent stuff to sell.

Of particular interest are the justifications made for early bidding. Personally, I wouldn't do it, but I understand.

From personal experience, I would just snipe.

I am WAY too busy to PLAY on ebay. It is not a sport or toy, or game to me. I use Ebay to acquire stuff for a purpose. I am not satisfied to lose due to lack of performance on my part.

This is just my opinion, but the best strategy is to shut up, snipe, and move on to the next item. No bids otherwise.

Of course as said, it is a big world. We all have room to do our thing.

The best deals are from those sellers that did not do any benchmarking at all and offer their item at a BIN price that is lower than the average selling price, sometimes alot lower. Those are the deals that I primarily look for, but it is a matter of being in the right place at the right time. I primarily sell on eBay, I used to bid early, now if I do it is merely an opening bid so that it is at the top of my watchlist. I wait until the final minutes to drop the actual bid. Sometimes if it is something I really want it is tough to resist not wanting to continually bid. I just bought a nice DBX 2015G 15 band per channel equalizer for $57, I initially bid, got outbid, then I waited until a few minutes were remaining plugged in what I was willing to spend and won the auction. Sometimes you win and sometimes you lose but that is the name of the game. I do research before bidding on items and I know what my cut off is, price goes to high, I stay away - simple!

There are lots of folks on eBay and almost as many stategies to win but there's only one truly effective strategy that works every time and doesn't require special software nor is it time-sensitive. Just make sure your bid is higher than anyone else's at the end of the auction. There, I said it...its out. Don't go spreading it around as most folks that think they're getting a deal on eBay are actually just willing to pay more than the other folks that bid on that particular item.

Shhhhh! -Bryan