Definitive Technology vs Klipsch

Kyler Cavers

Hey guys, lately I've been hearnig alot about Definitve Technology. My friend is apparently getting a pair of BP7000's, all I hear about is how they'll kick the crap outta my references'. I'd like to know what you all think about them? If they are as nice as he says they are, does Klipsch have anything to compare? Which company is overall better and/or more popular?

harman/kardon AVR 125

Pioneer DV-363-K

Klipsch RF-3ll's

Energy e:XL 25's (surroounds)

Samsung 27" TV

Acoustic Research optical and component video cables

(RSW-12, or 15 on the way!!!!)

the def tech's are ok if you like muffled dialogue and "just o.k." sound.....

ask your friend how many theaters use def tech for their speakers.... mmmm ..... ok... i added twice... total ...NONE!

meanwhile..... klipsch speakers are used in about one third of all movie theatres in north america.....

if you want great impact and detail from your music and dvd's.... there is no better choice than klipsch...

1.gif

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Def Tech has an entirely different type of sound. The bi-polar design is ok if you like reflected sound. Putting powered subwoofers in towers messes up the bass. It is extremely rare that a full frequency speaker's location is the best location for a subwoofer as well.

Klipsch allows for proper sub placement. Klipsch has a "live" sound that is used by many bands and theaters. Klipsch does not color the sound as much as Def Tech does. Klipsch gives much more bang for the buck. Klipschorns are one of the finest speakers ever made which is why they will be made long after Def Tech is forgotten. Other than those points, Def Tech is ok.

Bill

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There is a type of music enthusiast for whom the DefTech top line tower is the ultimate, be all and end all speaker that will absolutely clean the clock of just about any other brand.

This is the guy who wants bass, Bass, BASS, BASS ALL OVER THE PLACE and who thinks worrying about artsy fartsy stuff like tone, tempo, imaging, midrange purity, harmonic accuracy and soundstaging is for sissies.

The only way to compete with Klipsch stuff would be to set up some speakers (doesn't really matter what - RF 7, Synergy, Promedia satellites, whatever) with about a half dozen RSW15 subs set to highest crossover point and max volume.

If you really want to hear a lot of noise in the 16 to 32 Hz octave, go listen to these things. FM Interstation hiss makes a good signal source to really demo their capabilities.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I had the 2000tl's in my house for a week trying to decide if I wanted to go from 7's to the 2000's.I have nothing bad to say about the 2000's,they sounded very nice all around.The build was good and so was the look.I listened to most all types of rock,Arlo to Zeppelin,in almost every case the 7's just sounded better.From Martins to Les Pauls the 7's just sounded more real,I still have the 7's.

• Thanks 1

This is just my opinion, but since I do have Def. Techs currently ( see sig ) I will give my opinion. NO WAY ON GODS GREEN EARTH will the Def. Techs come close to the Klipsch. I have Def. Techs cause they were basically given to me, but I am not happy with them. They look great, the powered sub in the center channel I have adds a decent bit of low end to it, but they just aren't suited for movie listening at all, they don't have any, for lack of a better word, "umph" to them in action scenes. They are just too laid back, and the bass is not accurate at all, very boomy.

• Thanks 1

I actually A-B'd the DefTech top of the line speakers (I cannot remember the model number) against the RF-7s this past fall. If you can pull up some of my earliest posts, I wrote quite a bit about the two. Here's my opinion:

Both Deftech and Klipsch were run from a B&K Ref 50 and 200.7 amp. Yes, this was very nice!

Deftech could run a slight bit ahead of the Klipsch for pure vocals. The sound was actually very nice. The bipolar design allows them to seemingly fill the room with only two channel listening. (I compared both 2 channel and 5.1 listening setups.)

However...the Klipsch system just kicked the everloving crapola out of them in every other aspect that I used to compare the two. It really wasn't even close. The Deftechs sounded nice, but they were just no match for the Klipsch. Rock music and modern country just sounded like the real deal on the RF-7s and a bit subdued on the Deftechs. I found that the difference between the two systems in home theater applications was not even close. I can't imagine anyone in their right mind thinking that the Deftechs could even compete with the sound of the Klipsch. The difference was simply mind-boggling.

The bottom line is that you need to compare them for yourself. If the Deftechs sound better to you, then more power to you. If they are A-B'd right, I doubt that would happen, but if it does, then buy what you like. Just be sure before you buy. Let us all know what you think.

David

• Thanks 1

I've listened to Def Techs on several occasions and they are OK. You know, OK in the sense that they sound nice but don't really grab you and make you pull your wallet out. I've heard them at shows, like CES, and in dealer showrooms. They look nice, sound OK, but don't really grab you and involve you musically in my opinion. It's not the bipolar thing either for me. I've spent a lot of time over the years with Magnepan speakers so it's not that I'm a "controlled directivity" guy. If your friend likes them - good for him. Smile and tell him they're nice.

Which company is better? Klipsch has been around a lot longer and seems to be going strong. Whether Klipsch is getting better or not is up for a lot of debate. Klipsch seems to be moving more mainstream and seems to want to join the likes of Polk, Infinity, JBL. I believe quality and reputation are being traded for a better bottom line. That is not meant to criticize, it may be a necessary move to remain competitive in the market. Still, I fear traditional Klipsch products such as Heritage and the philosophys our their founder are rapidly becoming things of the past.

Paul said "It is not my ambition to compete for sales volume with JBL. I'd rather compete for a share of the market in high-quality speakers...I'd like to be compared to Mercedes rather than General Motors."

It seems that the Klipsch we know today has strayed somewhat but, at least they're still using horns!! 9.gif

-Jim

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I was told to throw my two cents in here so I will...

I own a full 7.1 system of DEF TECHs with BP 2000TLs being my front towers and I'll give out my views on them.

FIRST: I'd like to say that many of the above posts really say very little except some strong, unfounded opinions, and some very naive ideas about why they advertise so much. Sandy Gross, the creator of DEF TECH does like bass--theres no question about that--I'll never argue this point, BUT! we're not talking CERWIN VEGA here...the def techs are a outstanding speaker, reviewed countlessly time and time again and have won MANY audio awards for sound quality. I think Klipsch sound great, but do I like my DEF TECHs better--yes. I do, particularly when compairing at the similar price point.

Now then: do the def techs sound as good as the HERITAGE line by Klipsch--not for music or soundstage presence by any strech of the imagination.

I'm hearing all sorts of things here, but very few people have given the best advice of it all--GO LISTEN TO THEM BOTH AND MAKE A CHOICE. despite what all the critics say (keep in mind this is a KLIPSCH site and I've heard VERY FEW impartial views here) and all the reviews say, listen to them and decide for yourself--which ones do you enjoy more?? which ones make you forget your listening to speakers and let you concentrate on how everything sounds, or gets you lost in the movie.

as to the silly point about Klipsch being in movie theaters and DEF TECH not--consider WHAT klipsch are in most movie theaters--they're most certainly a much higher model than the RF series, AND consider the size of a movie theater vs. a living room. THis arguement has no logical basis what so ever--its like compairing a Nightclub or PA system to a home system--pointless. you want something that will sound good in your enviorment, its as simple as that.

my bottom line personally

Klipsch horns at their highest model level are amazing--no doubt in my mind. At the RF level--they sound pretty damn good, especially at that price point. I think the Klipsch are a warmer sound, but that warmth removes a bit of sharpness. what kind of music do you listen to--that warm sound doesn't sound good with electronic music, but makes Jazz absolutely shine. this is something to consider.

as for movies--in a home theater enviorment--the DYNAMICS of DEF TECH are amazing--the sound they produce is sharp and quick with lots of contrast, they can produce sounds that are so sudden that they make you gasp at times. Klipsch sound great, but that warmth doesn't give me that edgy sound that I love for movies.

In the end-listen to them both--play some different stuff in them and see what you prefer. Let all the hype fall to the side. if you want to read reviews there are plenty out there, and I will say that every review I've ever read of Def Tech products has be spectacular (and I've read more than a few when I was doing my speaker research) and when my decisions were being made about speakers I choose DEF TECH because I got an amazing deal on them. My choices were however down to two speaker companies, DEF TECH and Klipsch. So I would believe you are definately on the right track with your selection process.

Good luck to you--I hope you find your best speaker!

----------------

On 2/12/2004 3:42:18 PM KeesGuy wrote:

==> the DYNAMICS of DEF TECH are amazing

I think you're going to have a hard time trying to convince those around here that Def Tech's are more dynamic than Heritage Klipsch. Good Luck though!
1.gif

-Jim

----------------

I'm really not trying to convince anyone--For theater sound the Heritage don't have enough punch for my prefrences, and for the price of them I would be auditioning all sorts of things. my Def techs at 1/3 the cost of heritage speakers can sound pretty damn good-though they do not have that incredible sound stage that the heritage's have. I appreciate the fact that you didn't "bash" my opinion--thank you for that. there's nothing worse than turning something "owned" into a personal attack in some way. People take this stuff too seriously sometimes...its just frekin' speakers man.....

• Like 1

Not to be a jerk or anything but I can put a picture up of some BP7000s and write CASE CLOSED". that proves NOTHING! in fact--the DEF TECHS, in their piano gloss black or cherry finish are quite nice to look at--much SMALLER footprint than those that you posted and honestly are technically much more advanced. AGAIN! I SAY...its a matter of choice. I really believe that many people don't care what they sound like so long as they say "KLIPSCH" on them somehwere.

case closed...thank god you're not a lawyer. and if you are....jesus...I'm sorry for your clients, and I would recommend them to go to a better lawyer-like lionel Hutz on the Simpsons.....

Sorry about the hostility but thats how I respond to inane comments.

----------------

On 2/12/2004 2:52:38 PM RFinco wrote:

I was told to throw my two cents in here so I will...

I own a full 7.1 system of DEF TECHs with BP 2000TLs being my front towers and I'll give out my views on them.

FIRST: I'd like to say that many of the above posts really say very little except some strong, unfounded opinions, and some very naive ideas about why they advertise so much.

Dude you should be here on a bad day,I thought everyone was being pretty nice,considering.

"as to the silly point about Klipsch being in movie theaters and DEF TECH not--consider WHAT klipsch are in most movie theaters--they're most certainly a much higher model than the RF series, AND consider the size of a movie theater vs. a living room. THis arguement has no logical basis what so ever--its like compairing a Nightclub or PA system to a home system--pointless. you want something that will sound good in your enviorment, its as simple as that."

it is not a silly point.... these speakers are being used to playback movies in your home enviroment.... just like many other companies that produce high end products..... alot of that technology filters down into the consumer products....

the same engineers that designed the theatre speakers probably worked on the klipsch reference series..... maybe klipsch engineers know a little about producing a speaker that works great for movie soundtracks..... i do know that i prefer one local theatre over the others in the area because the sound is much better.... yeah, you guessed it...it uses klipsch speakers...

and if you go back and read the original post... the poster was telling us how his friend was raving about his def-tech speakers and how they could kick-a$$ on klipsch reference..... this is just some ammunition for the discussion with his friend....

and finally.... as was mentioned above.... this is a klipsch forum.... and the replies have been prety polite so far......

def tech makes an ok speaker..... but it definitely lacks the slam of klipsch....