I fear this may turn into a big flame war but I must ask

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Heresy: I'd gladly replace my RF-5s with a pair of mahogony HeresyIIs if I had the time to find them right now. I think they're very nice looking.

007: The very things you listed as detriments of the heritage line are in fact the things that draw so many others to them. And, as someone else pointed out, regardless of the technology used bigger speakers make it much easier to produce bigger sound. and often are easier for amps to drive, and can produce more bass.

All I would need is a mono amp and a single one of my 41 year old Vertical Cornwall II's to put your Promedia 5.1 & SWS sub combo to shame. You can keep your plastic and artistic looking crap that sounds like two pieces of crystal being rubbed together for the highs and 10 men beating on a rubber raft for bass. Most of the crap being produced today is just junk, no hand craftsmanship and pride is involved whatsoever. Your Promedia's will have long been in a trash hopper somewhere before they make it to 40 years. You probably can't afford them anyway so don't worry about it. 11.gif

oo7 I agree ...most heritage speakers are to traditional looking. To boxey, boring and ugly. Especially, compared to arsty speakers like the BW 801's and such.

But damn, they sound sooooo good. I'm able to overlook the ugliness for this reason.

PS Klipschorns aren't all ugly though!

10.jpg

I like the looks of the Klipschorns, LaScalas, and the Belles. Then again I grew up with these speakers and I may be conditioned the relate the good sound with good looks. I for one don't care what a speaker looks like, isn't it all about the sound. If you ever hear a pair I bet you will think that they are the greatest looking speakers. You won't be happy untill you put a pair or two in your house.

How could you look at this and say that it is ugly? This is hand made American craftsmanship not some injection molded plastic garbage built and assembled in foreign lands by corporations that pay these people peanuts. Ignorance is bliss I suppose.

yeah they are big and bulky..but wow, the sound....somethings cant be ignored. I used to have the Reference 3X setup...then moved to Lascala's and Heresy's. Yes I have alot less room, but there is no comparsion, especially for 2channel music. My lascala's are affectionately known as the "washer and dryer" 9.gif ...kind of good I got them first before the 4 heresy's, because now the heresys look small... The sound is so much better and the finish matches the existing furniture very well..hell even my scott 222c with cabinet matches well..WAF factor is good.

007 - Dude, these things are the shizzie!!! They may not look like much (to some of the younger generation) but they are sweet sounding speaks, dude! These corner quakers (CA reference) will totally rock your world!!! The next time you bump your melon from a bad thrashing on your board and have to chill for a while, you totally need to check out the tunes these bad-boy K-horns can throw!

Translation: 007, Young man, the K-horn speakers are a wonderful sounding speaker that will thrill you to no end. They may not look like much (then again, neither do you Gen Xers) but they produce a beautiful sound. These corner-placed speakers will really enthrall you with the rich and smooth tones they produce. The next time you fall off your skateboard and bump your head, forcing you to stay still for a moment (yeah right), take a listen to the Klipschorns. You won't be dissappointed!

I stopped by my local dealer's place a year or more ago and he had a pair of used K-horns in the shop. I asked him what those things were-thinking a humidifier/air purifier or something. (kidding, to a point) He spoke in awe of these Klipschorns, or K-horns as he called them. I wondered why someone would want something so large in their home. Then, he played them for me..... All I can say is, "Wow!" They sounded just awesome. No matter what music he demo'd for me, it was pute joy listening to these babies rock. When you crank them up really loud, they truly will give you the sensation of a live event. They are a large speaker, but so are my RF-7s, the configuration is just a bit different. K-horns-larger corner footprint, but much shorter than the RF-7s. RF-7s-smaller footprint, but much taller and noticeable in the room. I would almost say that the K-horns are less noticeable than the RF-7.

David

So by your standard the 56 Vette, an original Shelby Cobra, or perhaps a vintage Victorian era house are ancient relics in need of replacement. My advice listen to a set of Heritage speakers first. The Promedia 5.1 are ok for you computer! But if you really want to hear what you are missing and believe me you are definitely missing it. Get a set of Heritage speakers. As for their looks I believe the Belle Klipsch and the Klipschorn are two of the most aesthetically beautiful speakers ever produced then you add the sound. For that matter my La Scalas look great. There is a reason why people keep these for life. No doubt they dominate the room they are in, but IMO they are supposed to do that. So yeah you got flamed a little.

----------------

On 3/4/2004 10:51:13 PM j-malotky wrote:

Here is a pic Damon took showing the front of my Heritage HT room.

Look how nice those old Khorns look in this room.
1.gif

JM

----------------

those recently re-finished rosewood K-horns are EXCEPTIONALLY beautiful!! i love the real wood veneer on ALL my Klipsch speakers(my ksp-s6's are the only vinyl-covered klipsches i have and they look good too!)

JM-

way cool room!!

that is a da-lite permwall screen isn't it? what material?(HCMW/Spectra/other)

avman.

----------------

On 3/5/2004 11:10:07 AM dkp wrote:

Translation: 007, Young man, the K-horn speakers are a wonderful sounding speaker that will thrill you to no end. They may not look like much (then again, neither do you Gen Xers) but they produce a beautiful sound. These corner-placed speakers will really enthrall you with the rich and smooth tones they produce. The next time you fall off your skateboard and bump your head, forcing you to stay still for a moment (yeah right), take a listen to the Klipschorns. You won't be dissappointed!

David

----------------

Ya know, this is the second time I've seen this kind of thing this week. I hate to be the one to break it to you, but GenX is in it's mid-30s now. Xers are more concerned with 401k's and backaches than skateboards.

So dude, keep up!

You're dead-on about the heritage speakers, though.

----------------

On 3/4/2004 8:24:10 PM 007 wrote:

I hate to be newbie here, but what is the deal with the heritage line, they look like cabinets out of my grandmas house. I mean give me a break, i have seen skateboard ramps with a better finish. Ok, I'm sure they sound nice and all, and they are traditional, but as far as I’m concerned, I think speakers should look as good as they sound. The heritage speakers simply don’t do that. Maybe a lot of you think they look great, but I left the 70's 24 years ago, did you?

----------------

I actually felt very similar about these speakers when they "stood alone" i.e. pictures or seeing in a showroom. They aren't sleek, or sporty, and they look "old". BUT!! when I saw them in JM's HT I realized that they integrate very nicely. They give, what many people want--which is amazing sound without looking like speakers. They look like cabinets, like furniture. They give the ultimate experiance in that you forget there are speakers in the room.

They also really need to match your decor--if you have glass, concrete, and steel tastes--you want speakers to look like speakers then, and then the Khorns will stand out. but if you have a more integrated look to your equipment--they really are quite nice to look at.

they don't match equipment though--they lack the "high tech" look of a digital panel or a big television. I think they look best when the equipment is off to the side and don't disturb the overall feel.

----------------

On 3/5/2004 1:51:09 PM avman wrote:

JM-

way cool room!!

that is a da-lite permwall screen isn't it? what material?(HCMW/Spectra/other)

avman.

----------------

AVMan Good eye. Yes its a Da-Lite High Contrast Grey Da-Mat screen. I am very happy with it.

Rodger, I did consider a LAS, and probably should have designed my room to put one behind my screen when I built my house but then agian, I wish I had a bunch more outlets and closet space too5.gif

The K400 is what really makes my center sound good in my HUGE HT room. The pair of K22's does a good job - for now, But like all of us here, there is always an upgrade on my mind.

I am already thinking of what I want to do in the next house I build11.gif

JM

----------------

On 3/5/2004 9:48:52 PM sheltie dave wrote:

007, out of curiousity, are you married, and what major pieces of furniture > $1,000 have you puchased in the last three years? This might allow us insight into your skateboard mentality
2.gif

----------------

I must intervene, as I see many of you have misread my original message. No where in my post did I mention anything about skateboarding or a skateboard. Some of the heritage line simply reminded me of plywood and a skateboard ramp was the first thing that popped into my head.

----------------

On 3/5/2004 7:41:52 PM heretic wrote:

Ya know, this is the second time I've seen this kind of thing this week. I hate to be the one to break it to you, but GenX is in it's mid-30s now. Xers are more concerned with 401k's and backaches than skateboards.

So dude, keep up!

You're dead-on about the heritage speakers, though.

----------------

As a thirty year old GenX'er, I must correct you. I was on the early end of GenX - most of the GenX'ers are in their mid-to-late twenties right now, and thinking about careerbuilding and kids. I, however, am much more concerned with backaches than upward mobility 9.gif