Lets see YOUR Home Theater:

Pako

I really like your center channel stand. Very well excecuted!

Jeremy

Thanks Jeremy,

I was pretty frustrated when I brought the new RC-7 home to find it was

literally an 1/8 inch to tall to fit on the shelf where my RC-35

sat. And if I had found a way to jamb it in there... there would

be no room to tilt it up toward the listener. My wife was not

real excited about one of those TV mount arms hanging on the wall

behind... not to mention my stud spacing would not have allowed exact

center placement above the TV.

I started looking at the back of the Sony and saw there were some

molded in little nubs on the back slope. I used those in my

design as they actually carry the load of the back legs instead of just

having the legs glued or double sticky taped to that slope. Then

I contoured the bottom edge of the shelf over the bezel of the TV...

giving me a VERY secure lock on things. The only way it will move

is if the TV collapses!!! The shelf is Oak and is assembled with

Glue and brads, clamped overnight and painted with a matt black spray.

I really like your center channel stand. Very well excecuted!

Jeremy

Thanks Jeremy,

I was pretty frustrated when I brought the new RC-7 home to find it was literally an 1/8 inch to tall to fit on the shelf where my RC-35 sat. And if I had found a way to jamb it in there... there would be no room to tilt it up toward the listener. My wife was not real excited about one of those TV mount arms hanging on the wall behind... not to mention my stud spacing would not have allowed exact center placement above the TV.

I started looking at the back of the Sony and saw there were some molded in little nubs on the back slope. I used those in my design as they actually carry the load of the back legs instead of just having the legs glued or double sticky taped to that slope. Then I contoured the bottom edge of the shelf over the bezel of the TV... giving me a VERY secure lock on things. The only way it will move is if the TV collapses!!! The shelf is Oak and is assembled with Glue and brads, clamped overnight and painted with a matt black spray.

I did something very similar over my 36" CRT for my 2-channel system. You can't see mine though. It just provides a flat surface, flush with the top of the tv, for my Kenwood crap to sit on. Mine is not as pretty as yours though. Good job!

Jeremy

post-17815-13819274235254_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Here's my system. I had to use my video camera, so the pics didn't turn out as well as I would of liked. Sounds FANTASTIC in this size room! RB-75 mains, RC-7 Center, RS-7 Side Surrounds, RB-25 Rear Side Surrounds & RSW-12 Sub. Denon AVR-3805 & Denon DVD-3800, with a 36" SHARP TV (does the job for now). Hope you all enjoy! Some of the systems I've seen on this thread just blow mine away! But with the picture frame cherry wood walls, the acoustics are simply awesome! Really no dead spots! Im happy for now, but I've changed speakers 4 times in the past 5 years! My Wife isn't pleased with the huge RS-7's and RB-25's hanging on the walls, and would very much prefer inwall speakers! But, whats done is DONE!

post-19224-13819276214156_thumb.jpg

I had the choice between the RF-7's & RSW-15 versus the RB-75's & RSW-12. I and several friends of mine, did a blind test with both combinations in a high-end A/V store here in Dallas, and really, we all were blown away with the later of the two, hence making my decision a no brainer. Yes the RF-7's sound awesome! As does the RSW-15! But setting the crossover @ 40Hz (on the Denon 3805), and setting the the crossover @ 60Hz on the RSW-12, and the phase setting @ 0, we all had a really difficult time hearing any difference at all. Including the somewhat educated sales technician (as they refer to themselves as). Jon (our sales rep) told us that this is the most common comparison for many of his clients, and he admitted he really does have a hard time justifying the additional cost for the RF-7's versus the RB-75's, as well as the RSW-12 & 15. Obviously for rooms that are 20x20 or larger, the RF-7's & RSW-15 is the more logical choice with the RF-7's rated at 102 dbls versus the RB-75's @ 98 dbls, and the RSW-15 having larger woofers and a larger frame. We watched everything from the usual test DVD's (Saving Private Ryan, The Matrix, LOTR, Monsters Inc. and many others) to the Eagles "When Hell Freezes Over" & Phil Collins w/Genesis and Chester Thompson playing duo drum solo's. In fact, a really good test DVD for some serious Sub action is Monsters Inc. Scence 13 "Back at the apartment". We had a frequency response SPM-L, and while playing this scene with both Subs (12&15) it read down in the 20-22Hz range up to around 35Hz and back down again. This scene pushes the LFE for about 30-45 seconds. We had the 3805 @ reference levels (-0 to +1) with both subs running @ about 75% or @ the 3:00 position on the volume knob. Both Subs handled these low frequencies with room to spare. I and my audiophile friends were grinning ear to ear in Sub heaven (if there is such a place)! As far as the RB-75's performance, since they are front ported, this was a smart way for Klipsch to accomodate the 8" woofer to provide additional bass without the need for an additional woofer. Not the equal, I know, but pretty damn close! If the RB-75's are mounted on a pair of good quality stands (Sanus Steel Foundation w/lead shot in my case), and setting them to "small" on your A/V reciever, and since their bass curve is around 42Hz (I measured them in at 39Hz via my SPL with the help of lead shot in my stands deadening any unwanted noise) I tried setting the Denon crossover @ 40Hz to optimize their lower frequencies. By setting the crossover @ 60Hz on the RSW-12, this was just insurance that the bass curve from the RB-75's to the RSW-12 was smooth and tight. As far as the 1.75" compression tweeter with an 8" tratrix horn, well... it's one of the best sounding tweeters I've ever heard period! The same tweeter provided in the RF-7. Physics prove that the larger the cabinet, the deeper the sound. With the RB-75's, it's just a phenomenon that they sound as good as they do. The fun in all this is, the real sound quality is what one's specific ears hear, and that is why we all have different opinions about what speakers and A/V recievers sound better. As far as my ears and hearing is concerned, I've got my system down to an art. Many friends have agreed as well. Next purchase will probably be the Aragon One pre/pro with the Aragon 2007. I have compared so many hi end amps including Krell, B&K 507 series 2, Denon's AVR-5803&05. I haven't auditioned Parasound Halo's Pre/pro A/V and amps yet, and one user on this forum mentions this as part of his system, and if you by chance read this post I would love to hear your opinion of Halo's performance, but for Klipsch Reference series speakers the Aragon sounded fantastic! Any other H/T receiver suggestions would be much appreciated! Anyway, I love this forum and love looking at others home theatres! So keep them coming!!

I had the choice between the RF-7's & RSW-15 versus the RB-75's & RSW-12. I and several friends of mine, did a blind test with both combinations in a high-end A/V store here in Dallas, and really, we all were blown away with the later of the two, hence making my decision a no brainer. Yes the RF-7's sound awesome! As does the RSW-15! But setting the crossover @ 40Hz (on the Denon 3805), and setting the the crossover @ 60Hz on the RSW-12, and the phase setting @ 0, we all had a really difficult time hearing any difference at all. Including the somewhat educated sales technician (as they refer to themselves as). Jon (our sales rep) told us that this is the most common comparison for many of his clients, and he admitted he really does have a hard time justifying the additional cost for the RF-7's versus the RB-75's, as well as the RSW-12 & 15...

Welcome to the forum Nathometheatre. [:)]

I have a few questions regarding your set up and observations:

1) Where in the DFW area were you able to audition the RF-7's and RB-75's together?

2) Why wouldn't you want to set the crossover in the Denon and leave the LFE set to disable on the RSW? How does setting the crossover curve the way you described make it "tighter." It also would seem that setting your LFE the way you described could be limiting your LFE signal to the sub. {FWIW, that 625 watts/2400 RMS watts of power really adds to the thump of LFE material, IMO [:D]}

3) Where do you sit in comparison to your rear surrounds (RB-25's)? They don't appear to be on your rear wall and are facing inward.

4) Did BI-wiring your front 3 speakers really make a difference?

Insofar as your salespersons observations comparing the RF-7's with the RB-75's and cost justification -- I have the RB-75's serving as mains in my bedroom HT and it sounds GREAT--But in no way would I consider the RB-75's in the same category as the RF-7's. I realize that we all hear things differently, but in a side by side comparison and owning both, I am surprised that there wasn't much of a difference to you and your friends. It makes me wonder what was going on behind the curtain. [;)]

tkdamerica, thanks for your email. Really the only difference was the RB-75's where bi-wired, and yes bi-wiring does make a difference, but not significant enough to be a factor in this comparison. I guess we where all just amazed at how much power the RB-75 has for it's size, and with correct set up, relying on the rsw-12 for the low end. We where in a H/T room that was approx 12x15, and this may of had something to do with it, I really don't know.

Regarding your 2nd question, I spoke to a Klipsch tech rep ( I will email you his name), and he first recommended that I just try this before I use one or the other (crossovers on the Sub & receiver). Im assuming your thinking as I did, and that is how can both play together? I always (before) just used the crossover on my amp, and turning the LFE crossover on the sub off. If you"ll try this, you"ll see what he's talking about. Ofcourse it's just a personal taste, but I thought it sounded much better. Sorry, I forgot to mention that I also set my receiver to LFE +main so I could get the full range of the 75's.

Regarding question #4, yes your right, I have my RB-25's hanging on the wall straight out right now, and am waiting for my wall mounts to arrive. Thats a whole nother forum! I can't find a speaker mount that fits the threaded insert on the back of the RB-25's. I ordered the Omnimount 20.0, and the threaded post is too big. So I am now waiting for another mount where the speaker sits on a retractable base.

SCOOTERDOG, That is one BAD #%S HT! Did you build that center channel yourself? It's a MONSTER! How does it sound? Also, I noticed that your side speakers are mounted horizontal from top to bottom rather than the typical parallel set up. I've never thought about this when mounting my RS-7's. It seems as though the tweeter on the top would give better reflection, with the opposite tweeter pointing right at the listening position with the woofer where it should be in any mounting option. Does this sound better than the typical suggested mount? Looks great!! Awesome Home theatre!!!

Below

is a link to my build page. It shows construction and specs on the

center. Yes it is a monster of a center. I run 2 pairs of side

surrounds. The "A" sides are heresy's and the "B"s as you mentioned are

mounted vertically. I like the way its sounds in this position and it

adds real depth for the back row. I originally had to use them this way

before I built my new HT because I had no wall to mount them on. I used

brackets mounted to the ceiling and attached them in the vertical

format. I came to appreciate how they sounded like this so when I built

my theater I decided to use them the same way...I like them like this,

and your right they do create a nice blend with the horn firing up and

down.