Lets see YOUR Home Theater:

Pako

Sorry guys! I was replying to an older post on this forum, and didn't know it would put it at the very end. Newbie mistake!

On a different note, I just ordered the RB-75's (mains), RC-7 center, RS-7's surrounds & RSW-12 for my new system. My room is 17X17 and I have cables already ran for a 7.1 set up. After talking with the company I bought my system from, he said to wait and see how the RS-7's sound before I decide to go with 7.1. If I do decide to go to 7.1, I have limited space (as my surrounds are at about 7' high), so really the only options I can think of are either the RB-15's or RB-25's if Im going to mount them at 7' using omnimounts to match my RS-7's. Any suggestions? Would you add another pair of RS-7's?

I personally like more direct radiating speaker in the rear for 7.1. I do enjoy the RS-7's on the sides, but not in the back. I have a very similar set up as you. The only difference is I have RF-7s in front and RSW-15 sub. I'm using RB-25's for the rear surround duties. They work very well in conjuction with RS-7 sides and the 7 series in front.

Formica---That rig is mainly for music, the little LCD TV is for finding my way when listening to DVDs of movies, I often listen to movies for the music. Like Ben-Hur which was playing when I took the photo.

The speakers are Altec 605As, circa 1960. The amp is a DIY gain-clone, a HK Citation 17 preamp and some rooty-kazooty Sony DVD player.

As promised, here are the screen shots. After much research into various screen options, I finally decided on an old formula by Tom Bombadil called Light Bombadil Gray.

For Quart of Light Bombadil Gray
Base of Behr UPW Flat Enemal
0 3 0 Lamp Black
0 1 0 Raw Umber

The reason for this was several fold, but mainly came down to screen size (12ft wide) and poor contrast ratio and black level on my D-ILA projector (Dukane 9000D same as JVC G10). I painted the front wall of my HT room (12ft wide by 9ft high) after filling in the cracks and screw holes and lightly sanding it down. The wall isn't glass smooth but given that the picture is 12 ft wide, I can't perceive any imperfection from my seating area ~16ft back. Because of the size of the screen, I have to slightly adjust the zoom for 4:3, 16:9 and 2.35:1 images to maximize my screen size. The picture is super sharp and color is just about perfect. I am very happy with how everything turned out. The only thing left is to better integrate my front speakers to the front wall and to put up some theater framing or masking.

Here are the pictures:

The first picture is my painted front wall with 3 front speakers (Klipsch RC-25). The speakers are on the floor to maximize screen space as my projector does not have any lens shift, and top of the screen remains fixed from my ceiling mounted projector.
Posted Image

Now the screen pics. The color on the picture is slightly off due to auto white balance on my digital camera (Nikon Coolpix 8800). I will have to manually white balance prior to taking the picture next time.

Here is a 2.35:1 HD screenshot from HD DVD. The image size at 2.35:1 is stretched fully out to 12 ft wide (156 inch diagonal).
Posted Image

• dtel pinned this topic