Describe your first good audio system

RichardP

In 1980, at the age of 14, I took my entire savings and went to BEST Products and bought a Pioneer receiver (SX-3800 was $390 if I remember correctly) and some Pioneer speakers. The receiver purchase was based mainly on my reading an article about the SX-3900, in Stereo Review. My old boombox was plugged in to the receiver and served as my cassette deck. That was my first good audio system. Had great sound (or so I thought at the time) and plenty of volume for disturbing the parental units.

A year or two later a trip to Pacific Stereo netted an Akai GX-F71 cassette deck ($400) to replace the boombox. That served as my system until 85 or 86 when I bought my first CD player (Sony CDP-102 for $430). There were no other changes until 1989 when I purchased my first set of Klipsch speakers (Forte's - $1130).

I still have the Forte's (my brother has them actually), receiver, cassette deck and CD player... The Pioneer and Sony still work and are used today. The Akai fell silent long ago due to a lack of parts (capstan roller).

There were several other purchases along the way, but currently I have in my main 6.1 system...

McIntosh 7270

Denon AVR-4800

Pioneer DV-563A

Sony CDP-102 (from above)

Chorus II's - Front Left/Right

Forte II's - Center Front/Back

Quartet's - Surrounds

Definitive Technology PF-15TL+ (Sub)

I just picked up another set of Chorus II's (for $400) and will probably integrate them into the 6.1 system if I can find the room.

For me I had a Fisher Console.

50 watts per side, BSR TT, Pickering Cartridge, then I decided to move up.

Klipsch Heresys

Yamaha CR-1000

Sony TC-377 R-R TapeDeck

Sony TC-755 R-R Tape Deck

Thorens TT with I believe Pickering Cartridge

Koss Pro 4AA Headphones

Sony Cassette Deck

dodger

I was a geek in high school (mid 70's)and built a bunch of Heathkit separates. The preamp was comparable to the Pioneer components and the power amp (125 wpc) was a rip-off of a B&K design. Also had Heathkit speakers, Dual 1249 with Shure V15/III, Dokorder then Pioneer reel to reel, Pioneer then Teac cassette deck. I have all the Heath stuff the turntable and Teac deck. The Heath stuff still works when I drag it out and plug it in, even the speakers.

My first real system consisted of the following:

Scott 399A receiver

BIC 920 TT

BIC T-1 two speed cassette

BIC Formula 4 speakers (horn Mids)

Audio Control 120B EQ

Of that stuff, I still have the T-1 and the 120B (both in the closet)

Speakers since then: Thiel 04's, Maggie SMGa's, Infinity RS-111b's, Thiel 1.2's, Maggie MMG's, Paradigm Titans, Paradigm 3SE mini's, Klipsch KG-3.5's, Klipsch SF-2's, and currently---an older pair of Paradigm 11's.

Hey, I'm Klipschless right now! - Help Me!! Help Me!!

-Jim

When I was 16 I bought a 45wpc H/K I cant for the life of me remember what model # it was? It had the grey nubs on the knobs

At that same time I also bought the JVC QLF6 TT and a pair of DLK/3s

I still have the JVC and the DLKs

My parents were disappointed in my purchase,They wanted me to buy a car instead

My DLKs were around the typical 88db/1watt so when I went to Cornwalls in 83 their sound outputs were night and day different.

I remember my first song on the corns was "Do you feel like we do"

And yes I did

I will allways remember that day 9.gif

Tomski

It was a yikes Realistic Integrated Amp, gold in color with midrange control, I believe. I always hated FM, didn't see the need to drop bucks on a tuner when I wouldn't be using it. SPeakers were Altec Model 7 from local CMC hi-fi shop. Garrard record changer quickly followed by Technics Direct Drive SL 1700. Had a little Fisher stereo cassette deck (plastic) that had DOLBY! wwwhhooooo

It was straight uphill from then on...

Michael

• Moderators

Wow, some really neat stuff listed on here. Some of which bring back some fond memories. I wish I could look up the salesman at our local high-end stereo store to say how sorry I was for hanging out there for hours and hours without spending a dime.

I lucked out a great deal. My father worked for Ampex so, needless to say, I had the state of the art reel to reel coupled with commercial studio grade tube amps and preamps. I also got all of my fathers Mac stuff as hand-me-downs every time he upgraded. He switched from Klipsch to the AR-1 when it was all the rage. He told me that was the reason he went to Dyna amps, that was the only Amp at the time that would drive an AR-1. Thank goodness he went back to Klipsch and he liked to upgrade almost every year. I still have a lot of the Ampex equipment, all tube, all analog. Some stil workds great, some I am still searching for parts. The Mac stuff is all stll perfect.

Travis

My first GOOD system...

Denon DCD-3520 CD player

SimAudio Celeste 4070 power amp

SimAudio Celeste 4008 preamp

Dynaudio Contour 1.1 w/Atlantis Reference stands (the contours were just introduced)

Cardas cables all around

Panamax power conditioner

Updated a year after purchase to Audio Research tube preamp(ah what a improvement),the erst stayed that way for two years.

simple but very effective

1.gif

Today I have moved forth on both quantity and quality.Having two dedicated rooms full of audio goodies 11.gif And many $$$$$$ in audio.No regrets

The first time I was really, really happy with a system--somewhere around 1980, give or take a year or so:

Quad ESL 57

Linn LP12 -SME 3009-Decca London Gold (arm is now Fini's!)

Pair of Marantz 9

McIntosh MX-110 preamp/tuner

This was the first time in my life that I assembled a system and could just sit there and smile and say "DAMN!"

----------------

On 12/19/2004 6:55:08 PM TBrennan wrote:

Damn Larry, you're an oldtimer. I bet that rig would sound better than most today do, mono as it was.

----------------

Thanks a lot, Tom!14.gif Stereo was around, but I started slow and small. Yep, very fine sound, & the 15WK "T" was a great speaker.