• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

To clarify my position a little:

My system is a mini United Nations ensemble:

Rack

Home made from a design featured on an Italian website with materials made in Canada,The USA,and probably China. ( Flexy www.tnt-audio.com/clinica/flexye.html)

Analogue

Ariston RD80sl ( The UK )

Grace 707 Tonearm ( Japan )

Shure V15 III ( USA )

Preamp

Dynaco PAS3 ( USA )

Power Amp

Antique Sound Lab AQ1003DT ( A Canadian Brand built in China )

Tuner

Dynaco FM3 ( USA )

CDP

Cambridge Audio 500se ( A UK design built in China )

Speakers

1982 Klipschorns ( USA )

Hearing Aids

Phonak ( A Swiss design made in Canada )

All of these products have performed well with the exception of the Phonak units which when working well are very good but I thank whatever Gods there may be that I do not spend as much time "In hospital" as they do. One is away for repair for the second or third time and as soon as it gets back in my ear its companion will head off to its maker for at least the fourth time in the last 18 months.

Software

LPs from all over the world but mainly from the USA. Quality is generally very good with a salting of a few complete dogs. I generally find that UK and European LPs are better than US issues but on average US pressings are VERY good. On average I find that Canadian pressings are even better than European production. This is likely because Canadian pressing plants typically were called upon to press far fewer copies of any given record than the US or European plants associated with a given label ( given our relatively small population) and their masters were therefore somewhat fresher on average.

The bottom line is that quality recognises no political or geographic distinctions. Good quality is good quality regardless of where it is created. Crapola is Crapola regardless of where it is created.

----------------

On 12/16/2004 9:37:24 PM thebes wrote:

I've got a tube amp now and use it much more then my SS amps. Advice-wise, I don't qualify and am only here for various commedic interludes. They usually start with:

A bear walks into a bar...

----------------

Oh, thebes, don't put yourself down.15.gif

You should leave that for everyone else! 9.gif

I know many people usually recommend matching a tube pre-amp with a s/s power amp to 'get the best of both worlds'. While there's obviously nothing wrong with doing it this way, I lean in the other direction (Whoops! that wasn't worded very well!). I suggest putting a solid state pre-amp with a tube power amp. Somehow that makes more sense to me. I don't know about the technicalities, but if the tubes are the last thing to 'touch' the sound, isn't this then the ideal situation?

Actually NO!

The preamp amplifies the original signal by a factor of many thousand percent.The power amp then amplifies the signal from the preamp by a factor of a few thousand percent.Therefore the quality of the signal coming from the preamp section has far more impact on the overall signal fed to the loudspeakers than from the power amp.

That said while I am a Tubey I have heard many Solid State systems that have left me with my chin bouncing on the floor tiles.

Are tubes better sounding to many audiophiles ? Yes

Are tubed systems better for all ? No

Did GOD invent air to fill Basketballs ? Obviously ( It's all explained somewhere in Leviticus or the Essene Scrolls or the Dead Sea Scrolls or maybe in some other ancient writings ). It might have been in an old LP I have heard.

I agree with Lynnm. For quite a period, I ran Mark's Peach off of a tubed CD player with my solid state Rotel amp for my RF-7s, and the combination was fantastic. Tube preamps can have a very nice influence on solid state amps, and your pre has more of an overall effect on your sound, as opposed to your amp.

That being said, I also agree that there are very nice solid state combinations. In fact, the final two-channel preamp/amp combination for my RF-7s will be either my Hafler DH-101 modded or my Marantz 7T (both SS pre/pros) run by my 200 watt Rotel.

On the other hand, the Belles get all the nice tubes. 1.gif

Carl.

I would have to agree that the most important factor is at the "beginning" of the chain. In fact, I would suggest a source that is of good quality, then move to the preamp. This is why I considered getting a Tube cd/sacd player.

At any rate, I guess my idea of incorporating a tube amp in my HT system may not be anything of a "purist" idea. I listen to 2 channel most of the time which would be my MAC MVP851 to a MAC MX119 to a MAC MC252 to my scalas. The cables are tributaries silver XLR and Biwire. This does sound wonderful and I get good low end even from the scalas. I am anxiously awaiting my ALK crossovers 9.gif

jc

I highly recommend doing the tubed CD player thing: Jolida, Heart or Ah!. Recently, when trying various of my tubed pre/pro & amp combinations, I replaced my Jolida tubed CD player with two different sources, including my Denon 2900 for redbook. I missed some of the overall warmth and body of the sound while listening to the Belles, the Cornwall, and the RF-7s, even though I was using a very nice tube pre/pro and various tube amps.

It just hit home again just how nicely tubed CD players handle redbook.

Carl.

Carl,

I'm glad you chimed in and gave your opinion of the importance of the "source". My MAC MVP851 CD/DVD player is good. This plays DVD-Audio and 24bit/192KHZ capable. However, I eventually want a high end, possibly tube CD/SACD 2 channel player. Currently, the only models I am aware of are:

Consonance REFERENCE 2.0

Shanling SCD-S200 (and other Models)

Is any one familiar with the quality/sound of these or are they aware of any other units?

jc

I highly recommend doing the tubed CD player thing: Jolida, Heart or Ah!.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Hard to describe...

The Jolida Redbook unmodded CD Player of Shapeshifter is the most compelling soundstage I have heard for digital. Better than the Rotel top of line players I had demoed occassionaly in the past 4 years.

Never heard the other 2.

WOW! This thread really took off. I feel guilty for the delayed response.

I'd really like to try a tube amp with the Niles switcher. Using analog CD outputs from my RDV1060 or does it make more sense to get an integrated tube amp to give me a cleaner path, so I can hook up a tunrtable too? I am willing to spend around $1500 net. Are the Rogue amps any good. I have seen good reviews, but haven't really heard anyone using them. There are some on audiogon. The stats look pretty good and they are fairly new.

----------------

On 12/18/2004 8:08:35 PM gravy wrote:

WOW! This thread really took off. I feel guilty for the delayed response.

I'd really like to try a tube amp with the Niles switcher. Using analog CD outputs from my RDV1060 or does it make more sense to get an integrated tube amp to give me a cleaner path, so I can hook up a tunrtable too? I am willing to spend around $1500 net. Are the Rogue amps any good. I have seen good reviews, but haven't really heard anyone using them. There are some on audiogon. The stats look pretty good and they are fairly new.
----------------

This is just one dudes opinion, but I was not hugely impressed with my Rogue gear. Hard to say exactly why but all I can say is, I sold it after a year or so and was not all that sad to see it go. I had a Rogue 66 preamp and a an 88 amp. After not being thrilled, I sent it in for the Magnum upgrades. Except for the new cool blue lights, I was still not "wowed". Maybe I was expecting too much. I've been more impressed with my restored vintage gear including my Dynaco ST70 recently upgraded by NOS Valves who I found here on the Klipsch borads. I've also got some Mac and Marantz tube gear that I liked as much or better than the Rogue stuff.

"It has nothing to do with country of origin for the most part. It does have something to do with promoting these budget jobs as being the greatest option and then we find out it's his brothers auction."

Craig, did I ever say it was the "greatest" option? No. It was just an option out of many to choose from, including updated vintage amps by you (or even your own monoblocks for that matter). And what's wrong with helping my bro get a little more exposure on his auction?

"I suggest you do a search on the forum for the last year on how many times you pimped your Bez 300B I bet there are nearly a 100 photo's of it posted. I rarely suggest anything around here anymore."

And your point?5.gif So I pimp BEZ gear. Why not let others know they exist (but I'm not telling anyone they're the greatest thing out there, just a decent, affordable brand to consider). What's your excuse for not suggesting anything here anymore? Please, by all means suggest your beautiful monoblock amps if it's a close consideration to what the asker is looking for...Hell, if I built 'em, I'd be proud of them too, and show them off every chance I got. Go ahead Craig, boast and brag about your amps; they're worthy, aren't they?2.gif

Gravy, best of luck with whatever your finally decide on!12.gif