Any Digital Multimeter recs?

fini

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Wavetek Meterman. I'm not an "electronics guy" (I can read, but not write so to speak), just wanted something accurate, reliable & flexible without it costing an arm & a leg ($100)

I still use my Fluke 77 that I got 15 years ago. The B/K models are nice too. Some of the newer ones will work as a freq. counter with reasonable resolution.

Get one that is auto ranging. You can put them in manual if you need.

Marvel

If you happen to want to measure true RMS up to 20 khz. the number of meters that can do that is really small. Most meters that advertise themselves as being "True RMS" go up to perhaps 500 or 1000 hz. Two that cover the audio range that I know of are the Fluke 87 and the B&K 53xx models.

Bob

I've had a Fluke 77 for 10 years, but just last week I picked up a Rat Shack True RMS meter that also measures capacitance, and has a temperature probe. I paid $15 at the Radio Shack outlet (in Fort Worth), but since it is a closeout item, there may be others at regular stores, I don't really know (it is Cat. No. 22-174B). If you call a Rat Shack in your area they may be able to locate one.

I got the very last working unit (opened box, somewhat scratched). If there had been other units, I would have bought them all and offered them here at my cost, but a guy I know beat me to them and got all of the unopened ones to sell on e-bay for $50.7.gif

I have a Wavetek 27XT. It will measure inductance and capacitance. Very handy when you're trying to figure out the value of an unmarked component.

The only downside is that it does not have an analog bar graph. That would be very handy for peaking up a circuit, but otherwise not necessary.

It cost just over $100.

It is a hand held.

Gil