Great Quotes (Music Related)

garymd

"Music is your own experience, your thoughts, your wisdom. If you don't live it, it won't come out of your horn. They teach you there is a boundry line to music. But, man, there's no boundry line to art."

Charlie Parker

"Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, a charm to sadness, gaiety and life to everything. It is the essence of order, and leads to all that is good, just and beautiful, of which it is the invisible, but never less, dazzling, passionate, and eternal form."

Plato

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If everyone demanded peace instead of another television set, then there'd be peace.

John Lennon

Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it.

John Lennon

If you tried to give rock and roll another name, you might call it 'Chuck Berry'.

John Lennon

Jesus was all right, but his disciples were thick and ordinary. It's them twisting it that ruins it for me.

John Lennon

Music is everybody's possession. It's only publishers who think that people own it.

John Lennon

The thing the sixties did was to show us the possibilities and the responsibility that we all had. It wasn't the answer. It just gave us a glimpse of the possibility.

John Lennon

The worst drugs are as bad as anybody's told you. It's just a dumb trip, which I can't condemn people if they get into it, because one gets into it for one's own personal, social, emotional reasons. It's something to be avoided if one can help it.

John Lennon

You have to be a bastard to make it, and that's a fact. And the Beatles are the biggest bastards on earth.

John Lennon

"Don't play what's there, play what's not there."

Miles Davis

"For me, music and life are all about style."

Miles Davis

"I'll play it first and tell you what it is later."

Miles Davis

"It's always been a gift with me, hearing music the way I do. I don't know where it comes from, it's just there and I don't question it."

Miles Davis

"I've got Blister on me Fingers"

John Lennon

Love What We Lack Like What We Share, Correction Comes with Time To Spare."

John B. Sebastian

"Don't trust anyone over thirty."

Bob Dylan

Pointing to a picture taken in NutBush: " If it were not for the people out there...I would still be here."

Tina Turner August, 1971

"The band has a great line up, but the singer will fall and be forgotten long before Jeff plays his last note."

A Hollywood and London compilation regarding The Jeff Beck Group, Rod Stewart vocalist.9.gif

Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny.

Frank Zappa

Squeeze my lemon, til the juice runs down my leg

Robert Plant, Led Zeppelin

If the bluebird plays the eagle,

he finds his song will turn to stone.

Tommy Bolin (RIP drugs), Deep Purple

If you stop movin, they start throwing dirt on you.

John Kay, Steppenwolf

Michael

"He'd be better off shoveling snow."

-- Richard Strauss on Arnold Schoenberg.

When told that a soloist would need six fingers to perform his concerto, Arnold Schoenberg replied, "I can wait."

"I would like to hear Elliot Carter's Fourth String Quartet, if only to discover what a cranky prostate does to one's polyphony."

-- James Sellars

"Exit in case of Brahms."

-- Philip Hale's proposed inscription over the doors of Boston Symphony Hall

"Why is it that whenever I hear a piece of music I don't like, it's always by Villa-Lobos?"

-- Igor Stravinsky

"His music used to be original. Now it's aboriginal."

--Sir Ernest Newman on Igor Stravinsky

"If he'd been making shell-cases during the war it might have been better for music."

-- Maurice Ravel on Camille Saint-Saens

"He has an enormously wide repertory. He can conduct anything, provided it's by Beethoven, Brahms or Wagner. He tried Debussy's La Mer once. It came out as Das Merde."

-- Anonymous Orchestra Member on George Szell

Someone commented to Rudolph Bing, manager of the Metropolitan Opera, that "George Szell is his own worst enemy." "Not while I'm alive, he isn't!" said Bing.

"Madam, you have between your legs an instrument capable of giving pleasure to thousands and all you can do is scratch it."

-- Sir Thomas Beecham to a lady cellist.

"After I die, I shall return to earth as a gatekeeper of a bordello and I won't let any of you enter."

-- Arturo Toscanini to the NBC Orchestra

"We cannot expect you to be with us all the time, but perhaps you could be good enough to keep in touch now and again."

-- Sir Thomas Beecham to a musician during a rehearsal

"Jack Benny played Mendelssohn last night. Mendelssohn lost."

-- Anonymous

The great German conductor Hans von Buelow detested two members of an orchestra, who were named Schultz and Schmidt. Upon being told that Schmidt had died, von Buelow immediately asked, "Und Schultz?"

"Her voice sounded like an eagle being goosed."

-- Ralph Novak on Yoko Ono

"Parsifal - the kind of opera that starts at six o'clock and after it has been going three hours, you look at your watch and it says 6:20."

-- David Randolph

"One can't judge Wagner's opera Lohengrin after a first hearing, and I certainly don't intend hearing it a second time."

-- Gioacchino Rossini

"I liked the opera very much. Everything but the music."

-- Benjamin Britten on Stravinsky's The Rakes's Progress

"Her singing reminds me of a cart coming downhill with the brake on."

-- Sir Thomas Beecham on an unidentified soprano in Die Walkyre

The Mandolin is the bottom four strings of the guitar, backwards...so a person with dyslexia has no problem learning to play the Mandolin.

--Steve Goodman

It seems to me that those songs that have been any good, I have nothing much to do with the writing of them. The words have just crawled down my sleeve and come out on the page.

--Joan Baez

Do I listen to pop music because I'm miserable or am I miserable because listen to pop music?

--John Cusack (Rob Gordon) High Fidelity

Too many pieces of music finish too long after the end.

--Igor Stravinsky

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'

--Bob Newhart

The trouble with real life is that there's no danger music.

--Jim Carrey from "The Cable Guy"

It's easy to play any musical instrument: all you have to do is touch the right key at the right time and the instrument will play itself.

--J.S. Bach

"Shoot me like a soldier don't hang me like a dog, I've fought for Ireland's freedom..."

Opps, that's next weeks thread!

Good subject Gary, but it finds me at a loss for words, but then again:

"You might like this one" Jimi Hendrix, Syracuse War Memorial two months before he died.