emotionally moving music

hammerin

what song's or music will make you want to get up an' shake a leg or draw a tear. Don't want to sound like a sis, but was listening to GO REST HIGH ON THAT MOUNTAIN by Vince Gill,and couldn't help it, it drew a tear. Now come on be honest. what tune's move you, and makes you feel like the first time you heard it.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't recall her name, she's a fairly young country singer gal. She did a remake of that song "how do I live with out you".... I remember hearing that song when my first son was born and cried more than he did.

Another song that does not bring a tear to my eyes but want played at my funeral is David Arkenstone's The Magic Forest. The URL is a very small opening tidbit to the song. Cuts off right before it really starts to get good.

Since Tower of Power was mentioned in the shake a leg dept, I will add Ebony Jam off the Drop it in the Slot LP. There is just something irresistable about that funky tune! But I think it's out of print.

In the shed a tear dept, I nominate the Telarc recording of Stravinsky's Firebird...

----------------

On 3/23/2005 1:18:27 AM m00n wrote:

Can't recall her name, she's a fairly young country singer gal. She did a remake of that song "how do I live with out you".... I remember hearing that song when my first son was born and cried more than he did.

----------------

mOOn,

I'll come to your rescue again, and offer up the name "LeAnn Rimes" as the singer you are referring to... not a shabby-looking young lass, and her cover of that song is very nice indeed.

Different songs have affected me over the years, and repition seems to lessen the affect they have on me. Dan Fogelberg's "Same Auld Land Syne" used to do it to me, as did Bruce Springsteen's "The River". Harry Chapin's "Taxi" pulled at my heart strings for a time, and U2's "In the Name Of Love" could make me stand up and throw my fist in the air.

More recently, it was Annie Lenox's song that closed out The Return of the King: "Into the West". It was as much a connection to that film as the song itself that moved me. Last year, it was Mary Chapin-Carpenter's "Grand Central Station", written about one of the workers at the WTC site, and his walking to Grand Central Station as a way of leading the victims home.

There is a lot of folk music, performed by the King's Singers, that always moves me: My Love is a Red Red Rose, Danny Boy, Star of the County Down... and one piece by Simon and Garfunkel that is one of my favorite performances of all time: "Scarborough Fair\Canticle". If I were King Kong on a rampage, that song could soothe me like Fay Wray never could. It makes me want to lay down and take a nap just thinking about it.

one that actually surprised me was the impact of the blue man's group - "Exhibit 13" on video

as the music plays, scraps of paper fall on the screen in the background - scraps of paper that blew into a back yard near the WTC right after 9/11

invoices, memos, letters, post-its, etc - all from the WTC

http://www.blueman.com/music/rocktourlive.shtml

In a word - Callas. To my ear she gets levels of intonation no-one else ever reached and a clarity to her voice that sends shivers up yer spine. The recording is not actually all that great - but the performance is worth it.

If I find another copy I will send it to you (just been shopping too - bugger!)

I do have a favorite Los Angeles performance but I am struggling to remember which one it is - it could be La Traviata Los Angeles/Del Monte at the Rome Opera House with Tullio Serafin conducting (Capitol Records GCR 7221) but let me check it out tonight and get back to you.