Rating the Heritage Line

Spkrdctr

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

According to the Bruce Edgar article with the Klipsch people the Cornwall wasn't selling all that well. Plus the engineers at Klipsch thought the Chorus was a better speaker which objectively it is.

Anyway I don't see why the Cornwall would sell any better (or be any better) now. Maybe they should bring back the Chorus or better yet the KLF-30 which seems to have been the company's ultimate (so far) home version of a 3-way with horn mids and treble and direct-radiating bass.

TB- because the Cornwall is a GREAT HT speaker, an application which didn't really exist when the speaker was discontinued.

Agree with the comments about Chorus and KLF though. Even though KLF30 seems pretty much like an early RF7.

If Klipsch is to ressurect the HERITAGE lineup, we need BIG BOXES, accept no substitute.

Michael

Noting this is opinion.

I owned Chorus IIs and Cornwall IIs.

I have two channel systems. The Chorus IIs were sold, another pair of Cornwall IIs were purchased.

EDIT: HT is only one one use INHO, noting that the other speakers mentioned have differet sonic characteristics - the Chorus II to me, drilling into my ears.

But the reason for bringing it back would be a great completion and an updating of what the Original Heritage Line Was, prior to adoptions - but sorry for some deletions - notably the Short-Horn. END EDIT

In noting the ORIGINAL Heritage Line, we have K-Horns, Belles, LaScalas, Cornwalls and Heresys.

Chorus, Forte , etc. were additions. Not that they are bad, but the Shorthorn is neglected as are some others.

The Cornwall was deleted from the Heritage line first. It is a very good three way speaker. It brings the most interest when mentioned.

I would vote for an original looking, updated Cornwall III. I would buy a new pair.

The Belles have suffered. The LaScalas are good but large. The Heresys now have a high price IMO.

The Cornwalls have to have the least number of tweaks. I vote there.

dodger

----------------

On 4/2/2005 11:01:41 AM colterphoto1 wrote:

TB- because the Cornwall is a GREAT HT speaker, an application which didn't really exist when the speaker was discontinued.

Agree with the comments about Chorus and KLF though. Even though KLF30 seems pretty much like an early RF7.

If Klipsch is to ressurect the HERITAGE lineup, we need BIG BOXES, accept no substitute.

Michael

----------------

Ditto. I love my ChorusII, they deserve resurrection!

Perhaps "tooling" is the term we are looking for. I believe "tooling" would speak for everything needed to produce a new cornwall: molds, templates, jigs, billets, and the (programmed?) machines needed for the process. They would also need space in the factory.

Chris

I wanna see Klipsch make a speaker than can do 120dB from 20Hz-22kHz +-1dB (I supposed +-3dB would be fine too...the importance here is smooth bumps, nothing jagged). It'd be nice if it was a 2 way too, but a 3 way would be cool too 2.gif

There are plenty of subs out there that can blast away at 20Hz with a cornwall sized cabinet...get a midrange horn that digs lower and a better tweeter and you're all set. It'd be even cooler if the whole thing was coaxial too 9.gif

• Klipsch Employees

FYI: the cornwall has a fulgy responce curve...but it sounds good.

The things that are missing in rebuilding the cornwall is the mid horn.

The tool for that horn moved into the pro line after the cornwall was removed from the line up...

A tool is big $$$....

It would be cool to bring the cornwall back....but I don't know if it can be done without that mid horn tool.

Sorry guys, no bones here...9.gif

----------------

On 4/3/2005 3:56:39 PM DrWho wrote:

I wanna see Klipsch make a speaker than can do 120dB from 20Hz-22kHz +-1dB (I supposed +-3dB would be fine too...the importance here is smooth bumps, nothing jagged). It'd be nice if it was a 2 way too, but a 3 way would be cool too
2.gif

There are plenty of subs out there that can blast away at 20Hz with a cornwall sized cabinet...get a midrange horn that digs lower and a better tweeter and you're all set. It'd be even cooler if the whole thing was coaxial too
9.gif

----------------

It would be nice to note what we would like to see, but this this a thread devoted to Heritage.

What you suggest definitely desrves a thread of its own.

dodger

----------------

On 4/3/2005 11:54:46 PM dodger wrote:

It would be nice to note what we would like to see, but this this a thread devoted to Heritage.

What you suggest definitely desrves a thread of its own.

----------------

If you don't like what someone writes, then just ignore it. I can't help it when someone fails to see the relevance of a post. No need for babysitting here. Sidepoint: is it really so evil for a thread to take different directions? or how bout many different directions at the same time? Who fricken cares if someone posts about a purple rooster that crows when the moon comes up?!? I fed him to my hamsters and now I can sleep without interruption. Woe is me for mentioning 3 legged cats.

For the record, I was simply expressing how I'd love to see a new cornwall improve on the old design. I think it's an amazing speaker, but it needs a wider response for those of us that listen to music actually requiring the entire range (and those of use that can actually hear it too). The bass on the cornwall (and chorus for that matter) is very good, but drops like a rock below 40Hz (oh wait, the original post in this thread was about BASS response of the heritage line!). On the other end, the heritage generally doesn't do very well above 10kHz. Granted, most of the heritage lovers on the board can't hear any higher, but I can still hear 20Khz no prob and the extended high end is something painfully missing...The reference lineup is much better in that regard.

The cornwall could use some baffle work as well. Not sure what the general feeling around here is, but I've read many white papers discussing the effects of baffle design and blah blah blah. There's lots of resonations in the heritage line, like the heresy with that thin back panel...I can't believe nobody has ever noticed that thing at medium volumes. There's all sorts of new tricks nowadays that weren't around back in the day that could totally be implemented to tweak out the heritage line. Nevertheless, it all comes back down to price and klipsch has always had a freakload of bang for the buck. Tweaking out a design just adds to the cost, but I would be all over purchasing new speakers (not used) if I knew they would perform to my needs. Right now I'm just catering to my poor college student budget.

Did you not read the portion about it deserving a thread of its own.? It would get more input, your ideas would reach more people.

You also are taking this too personally, I did not chastise you, nor did I even state that your ideas were inappropriate and I did not wish to read them. I would like to see where I even implied that I do not like your ideas.

I've been reading posts quite a long time. I know how to skip one I do not like.

To note, I can still hear above 20 khz and have the independent graphs to prove so.

Again, I did note that what you originally wrote about, deserves - not should be - but the complimentary DESERVES a separate thread. I read what you wrote. I did not state, infer, imply that I did not like it. Your interpretation out of those few words.

dodger

"I wanna see Klipsch make a speaker than can do 120dB from 20Hz-22kHz +-1dB (I supposed +-3dB would be fine too...the importance here is smooth bumps, nothing jagged). It'd be nice if it was a 2 way too, but a 3 way would be cool too"

Got a hundred grand? Efficiency about 70% so you need what a couple of kilowatts? How about a room the size of a small night club to fit them in? Why not a single driver, eliminate all those capacitors and inductors?

To do that you'd need a pair of at least 18" long throw woofers one in a box tuned to 20Hz to 35Hz the other from 35Hz to 400Hz then a mid or two a tweeter and a super tweeter of exotic material.

Let's be real. A Cornwall III with modern components and crossover would be the cat's meow. Maybe the K-500 horn, which is still in production, would fit with the new K-55 and K-79? Narrower, taller and deeper with front firing ports 3.gif3.gif3.gif

Rick

----------------

On 3/31/2005 2:45:11 AM Piranha wrote:

Where the heck has Andy, Wayne, and Nick been? I hope they're all going!

----------------

I won't be able to make it this year. With the construction of the shop and the kitchen that needs to get a DO-OVER, there is no budget for a "fun" trip like this15.gif15.gif

Possibly next year!2.gif

How about a CORNER Cornwall? I have been told that the internal reflections would wreak havoc with reflecting bass waves, but I think a K-500 would fit. It could have the same front panel as the Shorthorn, porting between the "legs" of the panel, greatly helping any WAF some of you have. The internal volume would remain the same.

Chris

----------------

On 4/4/2005 11:51:00 AM 3dzapper wrote:

Got a hundred grand? Efficiency about 70% so you need what a couple of kilowatts? How about a room the size of a small night club to fit them in? Why not a single driver, eliminate all those capacitors and inductors?

To do that you'd need a pair of at least 18" long throw woofers one in a box tuned to 20Hz to 35Hz the other from 35Hz to 400Hz then a mid or two a tweeter and a super tweeter of exotic material.

Let's be real. A Cornwall III with modern components and crossover would be the cat's meow. Maybe the K-500 horn, which is still in production, would fit with the new K-55 and K-79? Narrower, taller and deeper with front firing ports

Rick

----------------

Well I don't think it's that out of the question. The JBL 2226H driver is -10dB at 20Hz in an oversized ported cabinet (bout the size of a cornwall)...A little reworking of the motor magnet (to make use of the already huge possible excursion) and you'll be all set. The woofer is good to 1kHz so there's plenty of room to lose high end extension. Make the woofer go from 20Hz-200Hz, then get a big tractrix midrange horn going from 200Hz-2kHz, and a tweeter to do 2kHz-20kHz. Heck, even my marantz 12" woofers can dig down to 20Hz and they crossover at 300Hz. I think they're rated around 94db which is certainly not that bad. There are plenty of drivers out there capable of this kind of performance (the tweeter might be a bit of a stretch, but I think it can be done). A quick browse through the JBL site shows all sorts of pro cinema drivers that would "work" for each section. A little reworking to make them more HT friendly would be in order to flatten and extend response by giving up the uneeded power handling. Granted I hate every JBL I've ever heard, but that's why klipsch has to do it and throw in all their latest coolest technology. 2.gif

(the rf-7 tweeter does 2.2kHz to 20kHz, the chorus II mid does 600-5000 so drop that down an octave).

I know there's more to everything that just straight up frequency response, but all the drivers mentioned sound good. A 2kHz crossover sucks too, but that's what steep crossovers are for.

----------------

On 4/3/2005 6:42:56 PM Piranha wrote:

Why not use a K-400 and K55?
2.gif

----------------

That combo would not fit without significantly altering the cabinet, if that is the goal then why not build Bob Crites CornScala?