Rediscovering Van Morrison (Moondance)

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Evening out there in K-Land-

Well, I finally got my pre-amp up and running on my system, and it sounds nothing short of awesome. The move from a solid state pre-amp to tubes was the best thing I have ever done for my two channel system.

All of this aside, I was at Best Buy not to long ago and saw the Van Morrison Moondance CD and bought it. I have to say that this CD is some of his best. With a good system his music just comes alive almost like no one elses. The instrumentals stand out great, his voice is clear and crisp on all of his songs. His music has a good variety of sound so its not all the same. All around a great CD. I highly recommend this to anyone here.

Lastly, since I travel frequently I only get to spend about one week a month in Chicago and the rest is spent in Michigan. My stereo and all my equipment is in Chicago as it is my haven from work. In Michigan, I have every single one of my CD's backed-up on my computer to listen to with my pro-media's 2.1. Van Morrison sounds like trash on my computer, and all I want to do is go home and just enjoy some good sound.

Enjoy your night,

George

Try to enjoy the music! It can be hard when you get a glimpse of really great sound, then have to live without it.

At least those PMs will help cover up the out of tune and off tempo bass playing on the title track.11.gif

Another Van Fan here. Moondance is one of my all-time favorite albums. To bad it must be played on CD to enjoy. The LP quality is really bad but we've talked about that before.

His new album, "What's Wrong With This Picture" is excellent and worth picking up. Well, could be he already has another out but I haven't heard (seems to put out 1 per year or more).

My son and I listen to Moondance on the way to the golfcourse whenever we play. Sort of a tradition.

Got the Best of VM, and it's a wonderful mix of songs. I take it from the reviews that there are lots of great tunes on Moondance. The only two included on the Best Of collection are

Moondance , And it Stoned me. Pretty much just one or two tracks from each LP. Perhaps this is shortchanging the artist and my listening.

So I should get the Moondance CD, yes? Any other suggestions?

Michael

My son is best friends with Van's 2nd cousin. Apparently, Van wants nothing to do with that part of his family and is very standoffish.

That said, "Into The Mystic" remains one of the greatest songs never to be a hit (IMHO). It's not even on the "Best Of" album???? Paaleeseeee!!!!

I am also a big Van fan,

Everything he has ever put out is good. There is always at least one or two songs on them. He is the only artist I will buy and not be upset that I payed $18 for one song.

MoonDance is a must too have.

a few others are:

His Band and the Street Choir

It's Too Late to Stop Now. Live Van with a great band. Great CD/album.

Poets Champions

Enlightement

A Night In San Fransisco. A live version of Moondance/My Funny Valentine.

Van Morrison and Linda Lee Lewis (Jerry Lee's sister).

Thats all I can think of now. I think I have about 15 CD's and 10 albums.

Danny

Gee, I am also a very big fan of Van Morrison.

I always thought the horn arrangements were fantastic on that album. A few years ago I was intermittently involved with a users group that traded bootleg CDs of Van in concert. There were some very impressive recordings. The sound is frequently "captured" from the sound board (unlike Graeatful Dead recordings by some guy in the hall with a snigle mic). Along with that there was no little or no mxing, compressing, expanding, various studio tricks, etc. So what you got was a quality recording with that feeling of live and dynamic music. Needless to say, the K-Horns at home are a perfect match for listening to those live recordings. I think I will go and play some now ...

-Tom

I remember when Astral Weeks and Into the Mystic were in my cd changer all the time; the latter has some terrific classic single-length tunes, the former is one of my favorite cool, trippy, jam-session albums of all time. A very unique voice, one of my favorites from that period.