RF7 JUNK!!! HA, HA... Quality control, engineers apply :-)

thirdeye

----------------

On 4/23/2005 3:49:16 PM MrMcGoo wrote:

I agree with Dean's comment that RF-7s are mid-fi priced for high end sound.

Bill

----------------

I'd say that sums it up pretty well.You can only do so much with x$ per unit(everyones got to make a living).When I got my 7s I repositioned the foam,tightened the binding post and checked for any other items that go along with building thousands of speakers(as they require more human interaction than electronics).I considered that normal in todays world/market,been very happy w/all my Klipsch.

I've also owned some finely crafted speakers with almost perfect cosmetics,they still didn'nt sound as good on such a wide variety.

I think ole'boy had a very legitimate complaint which I would have just taken up w/my dealer,(save for the fact I'm handy w/a screwdriver).

----------------

On 4/23/2005 3:53:13 PM Klipsch RF7 wrote:

High end speaker would be Lowther's, B&W 802b's, Bang & Olufsen. Speakers that have real wood instead of cheap particle board. B&W 802's are a sight to behold, blow the RF-7 out of the water in terms of build quality and engineering, they look so beautiful with the seperate midrange on top and the tweeter on top of that. and they are HEAVY sob's too boot.

----------------

Real wood is inferior to mdf or even particle board in speaker design. Adding the grain, the inherit nature of "real wood" does not have the uniformity of particle or mdf. Mdf is also much much denser then real woods that are not exotic. Best material for speakers are cement. Next probably aluminum. Then MDF. Not including rarities like the wilson x material and so forth. Last place would probably be wood boards.

I have no problem with MDF. As a side note, if one takes a moment to look on the inside of their RF-7's, they'll notice that veneer has been applied on both sides of the MDF. This is a nice touch, and they didn't have to do it. This helps prevent any problems with warpage over time.

Glad you got these fine speakers going.

One observation from Trey's posts. I can promise you no real live person from Bose would give you his personal extension for help resolving a speaker problem.

IMO Klipsch does a good job on quality. However, Murphy's law hasn't been repealed and sometimes stuff happens.

Thirdeye, since you may have an aura that attracts the rare event... go out and buy a lottery ticket. You might be walking around lucky and not know it!9.gif

I noticed the inside veneer. Very nice. I was wondering why they did that, minimizing warpage from moisture abosrption makes good sense. I wonder if it adds anything significant to the cabinet rigidity and acoustic properties? A sandwich of two harder surfaces with a softer surface in the middle is supposed to be ideal, I thought.

Bottom line here IMO is if you the customer spend $1500-$2000 on a set of speakers you deserve to have them function properly out of the box, no exceptions. I would take it back to the dealer and have it fixed. As for this coming loose in shipping yes it happens, but it should not. It is a QA issue. I mange our Q/A operations for my organization and if we have any quality defect we have to write it up and address what happened and take action to prevent it from happening again in the future. Any ISO registered org should/must do this. I agree Klipsch produces an outstanding product on average and their product error ratio probably measures down in the noise across the board. But the customer has the right to a defect free product. The fact that Trey availed himself was exceptional and speaks very well to his dedication to assisting Klipsch customers. I seriously doubt this is a trend issue for Klipsch but for the customer who gets the product that is defective it is a major issue. That is just normal customer perception.

----------------

On 4/23/2005 3:29:27 PM DeanG wrote:

BTW, the RF-7 is not a "high end" speaker -- it just sounds like one. ----------------

Dean, I disagree a little bit. I have heard so many crappy high end speakers...... not all but some. I tested the KLF-30s against Legacy Focus and the KLFs easily bested them. That is why I like the KLF series so much. Anyhoo, Klipsch always stacks up well against high end speakers at a third of the price!

• Klipsch Employees

----------------

On 4/24/2005 2:01:38 PM J.4knee wrote:

Bottom line here IMO is if you the customer spend $1500-$2000 on a set of speakers you deserve to have them function properly out of the box, no exceptions. I would take it back to the dealer and have it fixed. As for this coming loose in shipping yes it happens, but it should not. It is a QA issue. I mange our Q/A operations for my organization and if we have any quality defect we have to write it up and address what happened and take action to prevent it from happening again in the future. Any ISO registered org should/must do this. I agree Klipsch produces an outstanding product on average and their product error ratio probably measures down in the noise across the board. But the customer has the right to a defect free product. The fact that Trey availed himself was exceptional and speaks very well to his dedication to assisting Klipsch customers. I seriously doubt this is a trend issue for Klipsch but for the customer who gets the product that is defective it is a major issue. That is just normal customer perception.
----------------

This is very true...sometimes we all get some "ege in the face". We do all we can to keep this from happening, but it still does...

Mrs. Wyatt is a friend of mine and has worked for Klipsch for over 15 years...

When they test the speaker on the line they use a "gator clip" to connect the amp to the speaker. That way they dont have to loosen the binding post...This is my guess of how she missed the loose one.

As for the wire that came off, It just was not put on all the way. That is a QC issue. I took this issue to the QC mgr to make sure that they are looking for this (and the binding post loose).

My statement wishing you good luck with taking the speakers back to the dealer for replacement may have came out wrong. From what I have seen with a lot of dealers of today, (unlike when I worked for a dealer in the early 80's) your trip may have been in vain.

Our goal is to make our customers happy.

In this thread the statement that if they were Bose it would not happen - paraphrased.

How does one know that?

I have seen Baby Grand Pianos moved in such a manner that strings broke.

A friend worked for an overnight delivery company (not FedEx). I stopped by to visit him and while there I saw a package clearly marked Fragile kicked from one side of the area to the other. Not a shoving motion, a kick.

Can shippers be rough with a 90 pound speaker? Watch if one drops it off of the back of the truck. It can land flat, appear to be fine but everything inside is jarred.

Aircraft part inspection follows another guideline than a standard product inspection. Documentation after a crash has made that apparent - it's almost like an evidence chain of custody.

Things can jar loose. It's unfortunate but it can happen with any product. And with any shipping company.

When I picked up my first set of Heresys and trucked them back home from the sellers house...I was VERY careful, they rode inside with me covered in blankets for the journey home...when I hooked them up something didn't sound right and I learned after losing my head and thinking I had a blown speaker...I learned where the cooler heads prevail (right here of course! 9.gif16.gif ) that a wire had worked its way loose from the crossover...I am thinking of complaining to the mover but I don't feel he will be sympathetic...9.gif3.gif2.gif16.gif ...not to belittle your experience but to inject a bit of humour...I bet right now your RF-7s are singing perfectly for you and this will soon be forgotten...Good Luck!

Bill

Klipsch RF7,

The B&W are nice speakers but I still chose the Klipsch RF-7 over it after comparing, believe it or not. The B&W 800, 801, and 802 Natutilus is real wood veneer and MDF structure, check out the brochure, details it all. The dealer even has the speaker on display, cut in half so you can see how a B&W speaker is built that B&W gives their best dealers.

The RF-7 is a much under-rated speaker! The dealer I bought my RF-7 from was telling me how the RF-7 is their best selling speaker because when customers compare it against other speakers they carry, it's hard to tell them why they have to pay so much for the others when the RF-7 captures your attention in such a good way and sounds better. I have to agree with that!