How do I tame the harshness of the RF-7's

EarlRay

Thanks for clarifying the Yamaha thing. What do you guys consider OLDER? I have a new 2400 and it's awesome with my Cornwalls. Also have a 14 year old ProLogic RXV850 that also seems okay. Are we talking 20 year old models or ??? Can't imagine there being any of them around.

Just got a HK430 and will begin testing it with various Klipsch this week. Can't wait- it's a friggin TANK!

Michael

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ok, now we're cookin! A pissing contest!

With my Crown Macrotechs I can weld at 0 ohms and they won't shut down!

I'm not sure what that contributes, but I sure feel stud-ly!9.gif

I suspect that this is one debate that could benefit from looking at the Equivalent Amplifier Power article...but I certainly wouldn't want to spoil anyone's fun!2.gif9.gif11.gif

Ha, you guys are pretty funny ... That was just to prove the High current stuff Vs. 10amps out of a Receiver is by far more Smooth with bigger drive speakers regardless of Efficiency and to what some like to Term "Overkill", the horns smooth out considerably and the Bass becomes much more slammy without the upper end Whammy, Hey its all about synergy so Pick away at my comments, and Trust me The literature of High current being better was not my point, And for those who are asking

I have Odyssey Khartago Monos, 100+ amps current each, 60,000 Mf, 160 watt, and they sound the best I have heard yet with these speakers, very controlled and Smooth as pink floyd when I saw them at soldiers field with no Harshness and can go loud with no loss in detail or increased forward midrange, voices do not sound so compressed, Kinda like when the people on this Board here there first pair of K-Horns and Believe, I simply with a very High build Quality amp found that type of Effect.... So I am not an engineer and did not claim , Just Put out and Let me phrase it again my Opinion with this setup.

But also I added a Anthem Preamp which is DARK or warm sounding on other speakers and it was welcome in this case with the forward sound of the 7's.

----------------

On 5/1/2005 10:06:39 PM Nitefane wrote:

I have an older Yamaha RX-V992 receiver hooked up to my new RF-7s and it sounds fine at lower levels but at medium to higher volumes its much to harsh. I was wondering if I bought a Harmon Kardon AVR 7300 reciever if it would help to bring the brightness down. Is there any amp or any way to bring the brightness down on the RF-7's. I have around a 1500 us dollar budget for an amp/receiver. I have read that Harmon Kardon, Marantz, and Rotel all work well with brighter speakers. What do you think is the best way to warm the sound up?

----------------

If you descide on Harman the newer ones are not all that warm. Compared to the older Harmans they are very neutral and they sound good, but don't quite throw that rich harmonic soundstage. If Harman is your thing look for a two digit model with dolby digital capabilities. Their hard to find with s video switching and such, but the sound is much sweeter than the newer ones. Cambridge audio just came out with an audio video receiver, and I have heard nothing but good things from this company. People who buy this usually brag em up. So that's a good thing. You would save quite a bit also. You may beable to get one for around 500 or 600 at audio advisor. Good luck. Also check out Arcam they always get good reviews for being able to play music while still doing surround duties. Make sure you have a warm source (dvd player, cd player ext.) that is SO important. Maybe more so than the amp.

----------------

On 5/2/2005 2:46:39 PM colterphoto1 wrote:

Thanks for clarifying the Yamaha thing. What do you guys consider OLDER? I have a new 2400 and it's awesome with my Cornwalls. Also have a 14 year old ProLogic RXV850 that also seems okay. Are we talking 20 year old models or ??? Can't imagine there being any of them around.

Just got a HK430 and will begin testing it with various Klipsch this week. Can't wait- it's a friggin TANK!

Michael

----------------

>Are we talking 20 year old models or ??? Can't imagine there being any of them around.<

Just wanted to bring up the fact that there are a LOT of vintage ss gear out there way over 20 years old. I'm currently listening to a 25 year old Sansui receiver (which sounds great, BTW), and my mom is listening to a 1965 Heathkit ss integrated. However, I'm pretty sure not many over 20 years old have the current needed for the RF-7's, though. HK's, maybe?

Dave

1.gif

With a $1500 budget, this is what I would do:

1. Purchase rebuilt vintage Scott or Fisher integrated amp or receiver (about $500-800).

2. Send crossovers from your RF-7's to DeanG on this forum for a parts upgrade.

3. Purchase an Ah! Njoe Tjoeb 4000 CD player, used will save you some $$. Jolida 100 works good too.

Your system will sound clean, more liquid, and much more pleasurable. I think 1 and 2 are a must - the whole shebang can be done for the aforementioned budget.

----------------

On 5/2/2005 2:46:39 PM colterphoto1 wrote:

Michael

----------------

I did not have any affinity for Yamaha products 80 through 90's. I know their "Natural Sound stuff from the 80's was very harsh across the board even their source components produced a harsh sound mid/HF sound. I had a Yamaha CD player and it was very harsh when compared to the Sony it replaced. I wound up selling it a getting a Pioneer. Your RX V2400 is a very new unit IMO it is newer than my RX V3300, I am thoroughly impressed with the RX V3300 it completely changed my impression of Yamaha.

----------------

On 5/2/2005 6:29:00 PM Audible Nectar wrote:

With a $1500 budget, this is what I would do:

1. Purchase rebuilt vintage Scott or Fisher integrated amp or receiver (about $500-800).

2. Send crossovers from your RF-7's to DeanG on this forum for a parts upgrade.

3. Purchase an Ah! Njoe Tjoeb 4000 CD player, used will save you some $$. Jolida 100 works good too.

Your system will sound clean, more liquid, and much more pleasurable. I think 1 and 2 are a must - the whole shebang can be done for the aforementioned budget.

----------------

I agree that #1 and #2 are more important than #3, but either in #3 would also help quite a bit. An integrated tube amp such as outlined in #1 is your best bet to cure what you are hearing. If you want to stay solid state, I would go Rotel, with Marantz and H/K behind those.

As for the discussion on Yamahas, my own experience is that even some of the newer Yamaha receivers (as new as 1-2 years old) can still be shrill at high volumes with Reference gear - with respect to high volume music. Its those titanium drivers found in the Reference line - especially the seven series - that will scream if mated up with the wrong stuff. Other older and newer Klipsch gear (Heritage, Synergy, and Legend) are somewhat different animals and do not seem to be as suspectible to any Yamaha shrillness (but you are talking different materials used in those drivers).

Carl.

" Make everything LOUDER than everything else" Ian Gillan, Deep Purple vocalist, talking to monitor mixer.

Heh...I love "Made in Japan"

Let's see, how's that go......"A bit more monitor if you got it." Then someone in the background mutters: (Probably Blackmore)"Turn up everything louder than you."

Then the reply from Gillan: "Make everything louder than everything else".

The tension was thick in those days.....

Oh yeah, I had a Yamaha MX-1 and CX-1 power and pre-amp with Chorus II's. It was great until you cranked it up.

First let me thank everyone who offered advice. It is much appreciated. I went to my local speaker store where I bought the RF-7s and talked to the owner awhile. He thought that my yamaha receiver was an aweful mate to the RF-7's so he let me take an Onkyo TX-SR702 out on loan. I just got done listening to some things with the new amp hooked up and I must say that it really did make things much tighter and warmer. But the treble still hurts my ears at any decent volume. (Not any were near as much as my yamaha) I know that I may be able to smooth out the highs more with an even better amp, but I just think I would be happier with different speakers. I am going to TRY and return them tomorrow. I have been reading posts on these Klipsch forums for a month now and I must say that the help here is second to none. Thanks again for your time and advice.

----------------

On 5/2/2005 9:39:18 PM Nitefane wrote:

First let me thank everyone who offered advice. It is much appreciated. I went to my local speaker store where I bought the RF-7s and talked to the owner awhile. He thought that my yamaha receiver was an aweful mate to the RF-7's so he let me take an Onkyo TX-SR702 out on loan. I just got done listening to some things with the new amp hooked up and I must say that it really did make things much tighter and warmer. But the treble still hurts my ears at any decent volume. (Not any were near as much as my yamaha) I know that I may be able to smooth out the highs more with an even better amp, but I just think I would be happier with different speakers. I am going to TRY and return them tomorrow. I have been reading posts on these Klipsch forums for a month now and I must say that the help here is second to none. Thanks again for your time and advice.

----------------

Ok good luck, but onkyo is the brightest reciever I ever heard in my life.

If you're gonna try to run 7s on an Onkyo or old Yamaha you may as well forget it.That would be the two worst choices possible,imo.I've owned the 656,777,898 all Before the 7s.When I got the 7s I left Onkyo faaaaar behind.Oh,and I also 2nd what Wheel said,bright,really bright.

"I just got done listening to some things with the new amp hooked up and I must say that it really did make things much tighter and warmer. But the treble still hurts my ears at any decent volume."

Klipsch really needs to bring that top down a bit. A 98db/w speaker with a flatter HF response is better than a 102db/w speaker that inflicts pain. Distortion may be inversely proportional to efficiency, but what good is lower distortion if the speaker isn't balanced.

Maybe it's the PIO caps. I doubt it's the minor resistor modification. But my RF-7s are not at all bright. They are very clean and dynamic on top and will bring any source or amp problem directly to my attention (which makes me wonder why some people claim the RF-7 is forgiving).

Getting the RF-7s right has been a fair amount of work. I find them completely unforgiving, but very extended and natural sounding when driven well. So far my only truly sucessful amp has been the parafeed SET. I'm sure there are plenty of just as successful options in other topologies and power ranges. This happens to be where I have focused for classical chamber music.

Leo

Nitefane,

My comments about SET and classical chamber music may no be all that helpful in your case. I was responding in general to the notion that RF-7 may be too bright.

I have some experience with Tripath "digital" amplification, and have found it to handle high frequencies much more gracefully than many ss amps. Several other people on this site have had good experiences with various "digital" (Tripath and other) amps. I recommend you look into that technology. There are some very good and very inexpensive "digital" amps and receiver available is a variety of power ranges.

Driven with good clean audio, the RF-7 is a stunning speaker, with a very smooth and realistic high end.

Leo