What's your favorite coffee?

wheelman

My favorite coffee is Kenya AA I roast at home. Fresh roasted coffee, less than 48 hours old, is so much better, the other stuff should have a different name.

Starbucks, Barnies and the rest cannot touch fresh roasted coffee.

www.sweetmarias.com

I agree that the french press is the way to go. That's the only way we make coffee since our fancy automatic drip coffee maker conked out within a year of buying it. The french press is not as much mess and fuss as I thought. Peet's fair trade coffee is one of my favorites but then I also like the coffee at McDonalds.

Has anyone used a cold coffee extractor?

ADDED: I forgot to mention "cowboy coffee". It's the best way to brew if you're camping.

I grind Starbucks fresh every morning; usually House Blend, but I flirt with Colombian ocassionally, and enjoy Cafe Verona as well.

From wake-up to holding a hot cup is roughly 4 minutes; I have a Bunn Home Brewer that has hot water ready to go.

In the summer, I usually drink three cups in the morning, and maybe a couple more in the afternoon; a cup in the evening, if some dessert or snack requires it.

In the winter, I lose count 2.gif

My favorite coffee is no longer available (much like some salsas from the Big Bang of Salsa in the 80's and 90's); I used to order five pound bags from the Atlanta (GA) Coffee Roastery, but am no longer able to obtain it.

IMO, if you have dessert at someone's house, especially a pastry, pie, or cake, and they do not offer coffee with it, you have been insulted. I view coffee with these foods much like many Americans view Beer with Brats or Dogs at a baseball game; not only is it part of the experience, it is also a necessary accompaniment for the palette.

I am on vacation right now, so have just enjoyed a late evening cup; the empty is sitting next to my computer monitor right now, and I could very well go for another.

----------------

On 7/10/2005 5:30:42 PM tkdamerica wrote:

There is no better coffee (oh yeah, IMO) than Hawaiian Kona.

My favorite over the counter, buy in the store coffee is "Douwe Egberts." Of course you have to go to Amsterdam to buy it.
2.gif

----------------

Coincidentally, only three days ago a friend returned from Amsterdam, and brought me a little brick of Douwe Egberts. I never heard of it before, but it is good.

So if I were to grind my own beans would It be the same measurements? A level tablespoon per cup in a regular coffee maker? I would need a coffee grinder. Any particular coffee grinder that are good? Without spending to much. I see much of you take your coffee seriously. I am glad I brought this up.

Wheelman,

Check out the cheap grinders at the bottom of the page on this link:

http://www.wholelattelove.com/grinder.cfm

Like the $20 range. We basically make a drip coffee, so eyeballing the gind is okay with us. You recoup your investment quickly. They have directions with them. Grind a pot worth (15 seconds or so) and pour the water. Bliss!

You can also spend a fortune, but we have had the same grinder for years, and it gets used every day. I think ours came free with a coffee subscription from Community Coffee.

Bruce

There's a specialty roaster nearby called "Motherlode Coffee Roasting Company". Their 49'er and Goldrush blends are phenomenal. Very dark and smokey with a slightly sweet finish. I find that the darker roasts, while stronger tasting, have much less acidity than the lighter varieties and, consequently, are a little easier on the acid reflux. But, at $12.95/lb, it does get a little pricey.

For "everyday" coffee, I used to buy the Kirkland/Starbucks House Blend from Costco. Recently, however, they've begun carrying a new offering; Seattle Mountain Ethiopia. They used to sell Seattle Mountain Sumatra. I tried it once and was horribly disappointed. I almost passed on the Ethiopia, but since the Ethiopia Sidamo at Starbucks is one of my faves, I figured I'd give this one a try. Boy, am I glad I tried it. I'm now on my third 3lb'er (in fact, I'm enjoying a cup while I type) and couldn't be happier. It's a fairly complex cup with bright citrus notes and a very earthy finish. It is inherently more acidic than, say, a French or Italian Roast, but not excessively so. But the flavor and aroma are exceptional and for $3.33/lb, it's by far the best value I've found.

On the weekends, I like to use my stainless steel Starbucks Barista espresso machine with either Peet's or Starbucks Italian Roast. One of my favorites (albeit VERY high calorie) is to squeeze about 4-5 shots into a heated cup and mix with an equal proportion of steamed (no froth) half-and-half. My other favorite is a white chocolate mocha. For best results, however, you must use Ghiradelli's ground white chocolate powder. The only place I've been able to find it is Smart and Final. They used to sell it in a large 3lb cannister. Now the only way to buy it is in a 10lb. box! (NOTE: Don't confuse the Ghiradelli White Mocha powder that you find in the grocer's isle with the White Chocolate powder. They're NOT the same. The White Mocha Powder has coffee flavor added and it's NOT very good.)

For daily brewing, we use the Stabucks Barista Aroma Grande. Starbucks was one of the first to design coffee makers with an insulated stainless steel carafe to keep the coffee hot w/o a heating plate. It works tremendously well and is becoming the design of choice for many other brands as well.

For the special occasion, we'll break out the French Press. It really is the most flavorful way of brewing coffee, but you must enjoy it immediately or the coffee will grow cold very quickly. Disposing of the grounds is also a little messy since there's no filter holding the grounds.

Regardless of your preferred coffee or brewing method, it is CRITICAL that you buy WHOLE beans and GRIND them immediately prior to use.

A burr grinder is best because it allows you to select the size of the grind for the respective brewing method and gives the most consistently uniform grind; Coarse for French Press, Medium for basket style drip makers, Fine for Cone drip makers, Very Fine for Pump Espresso machines. Unfortunately, a good burr grinder will set you back about a hundred bucks and is not necessary if most or all of your brewing is in a drip coffee maker.

A blade grinder can be found for $15-20 and works very well. As Marvel said, 15-18 seconds is just about right. You may find that shaking the grinder while it's running will provide the most evenly consistent grind. Otherwise you'll end up with the beans that stayed closest to the blade being ground to a fine powder, while the beans that sat on top are very coarsely ground.

Remember: You must clean and de-scale your coffee maker every month or two. The calcium and mineral deposits that build up in your machine are responsible for that "bitter" taste. Dip-It is available at your grocery store and works very well.

Dan, great write-up. It is the first time I have seen cofffee described in vino nomenclature but it fits very, very well!

One of the things I shudder to remember is that I used to actually go to McDonald's to get a cup of coffee, and thought i liked it . . then. Now, I can't even go near mickey-d's, much less drink their coffee. Maybe it was a combination of the excess acid dissolving the extra grease of fast food . . . i guess it had a certain synergy.

That said, i think i need to make a road trip. I will email ya!

We have a local coffee house in Bham called OHenrys. They also have a roasting company, where they make their own blends.

I start every morning with two cups of their Jamaican Me Crazy (vanilla and rum) coffee at the house. Last December I bought myself a Bunn coffee machine and now coffee takes about 90 seconds to make. I quit using sugar and just use half and half.

On the way to work I stop at OHenrys and get a six shooter. 5 shots of espresso and a shot of vanilla in a small cup. The rest of the cup is filled up with steam milk.

Because of OHenrys I no longer like Starbucks lattes. Im just use to OHenrys flavor. Starbucks tastes like it is burnt. 2 weeks ago I was in San Jose for a week and stopped in Starbuck's everyday. Couldn't wait to get back home.

Danny