Diana Krall & smackable lips?

Coytee

I've read several times now, how so & so loves his (typically) Heritage & tubes because on a recording such as Live in Paris, "I can hear her lips smack as she takes a breath"

Well, I'm sitting on my pc, listening to said cd (not dvd) that I recorded onto my hard drive as a MP3 file and using my PM 2.1 speakers

pc hard drive, mp3 and I can hear her breaths, lips smack and other details that I hear folks write about when larger speakers are utilized.

So, is this just Klipsch? Does she just have smackable lips 11.gif or could one hear those same nuances on your "run of the mill" tiny cube speakers too?

Not cage rattling, just curious because I (suspect) just don't get it. Perhaps since I've always owned Klipsch, I don't have any reference point that has a different perspective.

Another commentary on the 2.1's...

They never make a sound. I can have the music BLARING and they are quiet as a mouse. Virtually all the sound just BLASTS from my monitor. Kind of neat how they disappear & this fantastic sound just belts from the monitor which has no transducers.

(they happen to be elevated a bit, widened out and are right at ear level so they sound veryyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy good)

My Khorns don't do that so I'm sure I need to twiddle with the room they're in.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

----------------

On 7/22/2005 8:37:01 PM Coytee wrote:

I've read several times now, how so & so loves his (typically) Heritage & tubes because on a recording such as Live in Paris, "I can hear her lips smack as she takes a breath"

----------------

I'd rather hear Krall's lips smack rather than her singing. She's painful - and boring.

----------------

On 7/22/2005 9:44:29 PM charlieboy wrote:

"<a
http://www.dianakrall.com/images/local/gallery/2701/14_full.jpg" border="0">

She's one of my favorites! For more than one reason!

----------------

She's definitely easy on the eye! 3.gif

----------------

On 7/22/2005 9:44:29 PM charlieboy wrote:

"<a
http://www.dianakrall.com/images/local/gallery/2701/14_full.jpg" border="0">

She's one of my favorites! For more than one reason!

----------------

She's definitely easy on the eye! 3.gif

edwinr said: I'd rather hear Krall's lips smack rather than her singing. She's painful - and boring.

Oh edwin, so cruel! Atleast she has her own style and being herself and not fake or tryin to be's a BIG SHOWOFF like some artist. Just cause she's a little laid back, doesn't mean she is boring.

If we put you on stage, we would probably find you very boring compared to her!! 9.gif3.gif

When she first started gigging around LA with Clayton and Hamilton I was really impressed--I mean here is this little blonde girl from Canada holding her own with two of the BEST LA players. I still think she's a much better pianist than singer--in the old days she would only sing about two tunes per set and that seems about right.

I bought her first album and I would glady check her out in a small club in LA again in a heartbeat, but to lay down $50 to hear her at some 4,000 seat venue is just plain NUTTY--her talent is suited for a small, intimate club.

I asked Helen Merrill last year what she thought of the new crop of highly marketed "pretty" singers like Krall, Monheit and Norah Jones and Helen said Krall was the ONLY one of the bunch who had any jazz chops at ALL--she still considered her more of a cabaret singer than a jazz musician, but she said she liked Diana Krall just fine. And that's good enough for me.

----------------

On 7/23/2005 7:50:29 AM Speedball wrote:

Sorry, cant help with the lip smacking as I dont have her cd.

To me she seems like someone who does NOT put any effort into singing.

----------------

I have her "The Girl In The Other Room" CD, and I'm not terribly impressed either. I can't help but to wonder how much of her success is attributable to aesthetics vs. talent.

I have the Tony Bennett CD "Playin' With My Friends", and even Sheryl Crow can outsing Diana Krall - given the right material (and she's not bad to look at either).

One of the record reviewer's at Stereophile made a comment a few years back that being a female Jazz singer is probably the hardest vocation because the bar is set so, so high due to such a great legacy they must follow. How would you like to be compared to the likes of Ella or Nena or Sarah at the start of your career?

I've seen Jane Monheit and Diana Krall live. I think the future of Jazz bodes well because they are still very young. They can only mature and get a lot, lot better.