I HATED THIS MOVIE

itsawomanthing

I've been thinking about this subject and since no one else has started

this thread I will start it myself. Forget about the best ...

think about the worst - movies that if they were delivered to your home

free of charge you'd rather use as a coaster than put into your media

player. Something that other people you know would consider worth

watching but you'd rather have a barium treatment instead of having to

endure the torture!

Here are a couple to get you thinking:

Mars Attacks -- anything with Slim Whitman singing is a coaster in my book

Rocky I - V -- and to think Sly is going to make another one -- NOOOOO!!!

Howard The Duck - no comment necessary!

Planet Of The Apes -- not again - any of them!

Stop! Or My Mom Will Shoot -- another bad move on Sly's part

Kung Pow Enter The Fist - weee-o-weeee-o-weeee-NO!

Superman -- any of them

Xanadu -- Olivia Newton-John and roller skates ... say no more

Parasite -- Demi Moore probably wants to forget this movie

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Movies are like pop songs: there are a LOT of bad ones - it's a bit of work to sift through the majority of garbage to get to the good stuff. Listing the good is much easier than listing the bad - there are too many bad ones to list. So I'll use the "buckshot" approach - take out as many as possible in just one shot:

Any movie made/directed by Jerry Bruckheimer. Ever been thrilled by a trick that once you see how it's done, the trick doesn't entertain anymore? That's my take on JB films. He goes to the same "well" again and again in his pictures - so much so that in some cases, it's just a basic "subject" switch (like Top Gun and Days of Thunder, for example). Those two flicks are one and the same. If you want to crack the decoder key to watching JB films, I urge you to see Trey Parker and Matt Stone's "Team America: World Police". Trey and Matt rip JB consistently, frequently, and appropriately. After seeing "Team America", you'll never see Jerry Bruckheimer films the same way again.

JB also suffers from an overuse of technology in more recent efforts - another pet peeve of mine. JB makes me think that it is now impossible to get a natural looking background or scene, since everything JB does is computerized (see Pirates of the Caribbean). The computer can be a good tool in filmmaking - but too often is used as a substitute for good filmmaking skills. And that same music - repeating over and over again - UGH. I watched "Pirates" one time, and had that music ringing in my head for two weeks. It was like a disease.

Your list above is hard to disagree with - except one: Rocky. The original was a good film - but was overdone in the sequels. After all, it did win the Oscar for Best Picture, so somebody thought it worth watching - although I thought that "Network" was more deserving of the Best Picture Oscar that year, and was a more important film.

I like most of the movies mentioned here. I agree about the crouching tiger stuff, not seeing the appeal, but I've never actually watched it, or others like it.

I would add:

Solaris

Moulin Rouge!

A couple that I din't HATE, but don't understand the hype are:

Citizen Kane

Lawrence of Arabia

Taxi Driver

The Usual Suspects

Se7en.

• Moderators

toddvj!

While I certainly acknowlege that you are entitled to your opinion, I must vehemently disagree!

I loved Moulin Rouge...but I'm a sucker for flashy musicals, anyway. I can see where many people wouldn't care for it.

But Citizen Kane, Lawrence of Arabi and Taxi Driver?

All cinematic breakthroughs for their time. Hype doesn't always have to be how likeable or personally engaging the story is. Although I did like all three stories myself.

The Usual Suspects and Se7en? Very well done movies, but I'm sure the hype is mainly surrounding the unexpected/clever endings. Much like The Sixth Sense.

There are so many really bad movies out there, it's too easy to name them. I do like toddvj's approach though--to name movies many agree are very good, but ones we still hated.

I'll throw one in. I absolutely hated Mel Gibson's The Patriot.

I really dislike most Sandra Bullock Movies...especially any movie that she was in that also had a sequel...

Speed 2

Miss Congeniality 2

The Net (Please, please please don't make "The Net 2")

I also usually like superhero movies but these ones were pretty lame...

The Hulk

The Fantastic Four

Cat Woman (possibly the worst movie of 2004)

Electra...(A clost second...)

Anyway, that's my 2 cents...

Kill Bill 2.............. 1 was so - so..........2 put me to sleep!

I like Vin Diesel- he plays a good - bad guy!

Gee wiz, I liked both Kill Bill 1 and 2.

Vin Diesel was ok...in Saving Private Ryan.

Anyway, for me I generally skip anything Ben Afleck is in. I apologize if I misspelled his name.

I'm sorry, ladies, but the movies that are aimed at you with alot of fake "precious moments", singing along to Motown songs, and usually a death of a main character at just the right moment---yes, the dreaded chick flick---are always part of my worst memories of wasted time. Usually Bonnie Hunt is in them. Or Shirley McClain. Or Ellen Burstyn. Or Whoopie Goldberg. Or Bill Pullman.

"Cheaper by the Dozen" tried to make a chick flick masculine with the football coach husband (Steve Martin at his most pathetic, not funniest), but only caused more wretching with the fake situations.

And, most of Robert Downey Jr's romantic comedies are just plain eye-aches-- especially "Only You" with Marisa Tomei--

"Steel Magnolias" is the ultimate--don't let her make you watch it, guys! Go rent "Predator" and watch it in the other room--

I must agree with with theryugobudy mush movies have their place, but

not in my world. Sappy tear jerkers aren't my style. Give

me a good action or mystery and I'm a happy lady.

Also, agreeing with Sputnik - Elvis movies - bleech! Honestly

I've never felt the need to break out into song at anytime during my

lifetime nor have I known anyone who could reach to his/her left or

right and magically grab a guitar and start gyrating while everyone

ooooh'd and ahhhhhh'd screaming wildly.

I'd like to reiterate that the movies mentioned in my original post are

personal picks of mine. I'm not saying they aren't worth watching

- only that I would walk across fire and broken glass rather than have

to watch them.

My husband has a way of getting 1 movie or music DVD and play it until

your ears bleed! Let's not even start with music -- to this day I

flench when the song "Who Let The Dogs Out" plays!

Thanks to everyone for their comments....hope to see more members posting.