OT: My daughter-born with a (several) congenital heart defect(s)

dkp

David,

I am glad to see your outcome with an event that can be so troublesome to bear with.

Let me give you some insight. I believe you made the right decision with surgery. I have seen so many preterm or term children with so many congenital defects that can be repaired surgically these days. The future is always a major concern after one of these. However, I have seen way worse conditions that came out good in the end....some I've been involved with myself.

I will be thinking of you and your family. The social support in your situation is very key. Embrace those nurses and med techs who will be involved with your new family member. Best wishes.

jc

David,

Your family will certainly be lifted up in prayer here.

Might I also suggest, that you look into a blog site, set up just from

families with medical issues. We have several friends who use one, and

my wife also uses one. Free of charge, with an area for your pics and a

guestbook.

www.caringbridge.org

It has been great for us, as we can post info there and not have to keep track of all the folks we email.

Bruce

Best wishes for your family. I was moved by your daughters story

and couldn't think of anything to say but then I found these lyrics

from an old John Denver song that speak so well of parental love.

I'll walk in the rain by your side

I'll cling to the warmth of your hand

I'll do anything to keep you satisfied

And I'll love you more than anybody can.

And the wind will whisper your name to me

Little birds will sing along in time

Leaves will bow down when you walk by

And morning bells will chime.

I'll be there when you're feeling down

To kiss away the tears that you cry

I'll share with you all the happiness I've found

A reflection of the love in your eyes.

And I'll sing you the songs of the rainbow

A picture of the joy that is mine

The leaves will bow down when you walk by

And morning bells will chime.

I'll walk in the rain by your side

I'll cling to the warmth of your tiny hand

I'll do anything to help you understand

and I'll love you more than anybody can.

And the wind will whisper your name to me

Little birds will sing along in time

The leaves will bow down when you walk by

And morning bells will chime

David: I just read your story about Sophia this evening. I'm sorry I didn't see your post sooner, but this has been a traumatic week for us around here. We just buried my wife's best friend's 26-year old daughter, who lost her 13 year battle with Adult Hodgkin's disease this week. She's had that dreadful cancer for half of her life. She's the same age as our own daughter, so it hits pretty close to home.

I have a lot of confidence in the operation Sophia underwent. My friend Tom's son was born with the same problem as Sophia. The young man just graduted high school and he is completely normal. Well, as "normal" as any other teenager, that is. LOL The only effect the defect had on him that we know of, is that he didn't grow as tall as expected. But, even at 5' 8", he's a good-looking young man with a college education awaiting him. I hope and pray all of the best for Sophia. Best of luck with your beautiful daughter. I hope to meet your family some day.

-Glenn

Thanks again to all of you for the prayers and kind words. Sophia didn't get to go trick-or-treating with the rest of us last night, but she got dressed up, nonetheless!!! Here is a picture of Monica (my wife), Victoria (age 4), Emma (age 1) and Sophia (3 mos).

post-13473-13819274232024_thumb.jpg

I have a lot of confidence in the operation Sophia underwent. My friend Tom's son was born with the same problem as Sophia. The young man just graduted high school and he is completely normal. Well, as "normal" as any other teenager, that is. LOL The only effect the defect had on him that we know of, is that he didn't grow as tall as expected. But, even at 5' 8", he's a good-looking young man with a college education awaiting him. I hope and pray all of the best for Sophia. Best of luck with your beautiful daughter. I hope to meet your family some day.

-Glenn

Glenn,

Your friend's son most likely had his Norwood Procedure done by Dr. Norwood himself. I just happened across another 18 year old who lives in Michigan who had hers done by Dr. Norwood. He was basically the only physician in the world performing this procedure at that time. The girl I mentioned was flown to another state to have hers done. If his son is willing, my wife and I would love to talk to him!

It would be great to meet the Picky family and smallhousetheater as well!!!

Thanks,

David

David;

For many reasons, I wasn't ready until now to respond to your post.

First, congratulations on the birth of your third girl, she is a gift

to two special parents who were known by God to be able to bear the

road that must be traveled by her.

We are indeed fortunate to live in a country and at a time that

treatment for such problems is possible. My wifes nephew needed open

heart surgery when he was born and had several more during his maturing

into a man so I know a LITTLE of what you must be going through.

Each day we are given is a gift from God and though this world is fallen and is far from perfect, he is still in control.

My wife and I have had to deal for the last 22 years with an illness that was discovered in

her when she gave birth to our only child. She suffers from seizures

and cysts in the brain. She has undergone about a dozen surgerys, some

with only a 40% chance of survival, let alone any side effects. She has

come through them all with flying colors and is leading a fairly normal

life though she is medically retired and permanently disabled.

I know you and your wife will be able to shoulder the burden on your

plate. Live each day to the fullest and don't look back to any "I

should have....." or "if only....." for they are only a waste of time

given to live.

It sounds like your daughter is doing well after a rough start. Thanks for the pictures of last night, they are great.

God bless.

It is wonderful to see that she is getting the care, love and attention that she needs during this critical time. With the miracles of modern medicine and family and friends who care, there is every reason to be positive.

Kids are incredibly resilient, too - generally they do not know the seriousness of thier condition. As such, they seem to have that "fighting spirit" and a positive attitude, absent of all of the "what ifs". That is the biggest advantage kids have when facing such situations. I think we as adults can learn much from that youthful positivity.....not only in situations like these, but life in general. So stay positive and keep the faith - and live every day to the fullest.

Thanks for sharing the pics, too - I see lots of happy faces therein. May we see many more[:)]