I could use some 2-channeler expertise, please

picky

Hi, Guys:

I just received my black, Heresy 3's (below) from Klipsch. (See "They're Here" post in General Questions) These are the pair that I won at the Klipsch Pilgrimage in Indy last June. I plan to power them with an NAD 2200 SS amp I already own. It's 100 wpc/8 ohms. I have an old 1976 Pioneer SX-838 Receiver that I used to use as a preamp. I'd rather use something better.

Question for the 2-Channel gang: What sort of tube preamp or tube tuner/preamp (if there is such a thing) would be a good match for my NAD 2200 to power my Heresy 3's? Or, should I go a different route? I'm looking to buy something by next Spring. Thanks, in advance.

-Glenn

post-10177-13819274323354_thumb.jpg

Picky,

Congrats on the Heresy IIIs. They look beautiful. I'm not familiar with your amp, but if you are looking to migrate to tubes I sure love my Peach. I never heard a Merlin but the reviews have been great for that unit and the price is more affordable. I'm sure you know many here have partaken of the Juicy fruit. Just a suggestion. But again, I really don't know how the compatibility would be.

Glenn,

I and many on the forum like the way tube equipment sounds on horns, so a tube pre sounds like a happy combo to me. Nearly everyone who has a Juicy Music pre has been very pleased with theirs, and I can vouch for the excellence of GaryMD's new BBXtreme with the Cream LOMC transformers. Boomac just bought a BAT VK-3ix preamp with a nice internal phono stage, and you might ask him about it. I'm thinking of putting up for sale my well-regarded Convergent Audio Technology (CAT) SL-1 Signature Mk 3 tube preamp, which also has a phono stage. Can't help you on tuner-pre's, sorry.

Larry

So that's the new 3 huh. Mid and wooder look fairly familliar but that tweeter is definitely different.

Rumour has it the new Super reference series (whatever it is called) will be at the high end show here next weekend. Dont think it will be playing - but would be nice to see it at least.

Picky

Congratulations. I'm no expert on this thing, but I would suggest to check out Audiogon for used tube preamps and amps. If this is going to be your first tube component-- I have this feeling that you are on your way to some serious upgrade path. You will be looking for something better and better as time goes on. I for sure did it. I started with a pair of Heresy as well and a cheap tube amp made from an old vintage tube amplifier. Audiogon is a good place to recycle and upgrade your system.

The fun has just began.

If you're into vintage (and as an alternative to Mark's magnificent preamps), how 'bout a classic McIntosh tube preamp, or one by H.H. Scott, EICO, or Dynaco? You can find loads of 'em on eBay and AudiogoN, or maybe even Craig (NOSValves) will have a refurbished one for sale. Just something else to consider...

Wow! Just what I expected: Lots of great ideas here. Thanks guys! I'm going to be looking into the used equipment first because the new rigs seem to be rather pricey for me at the moment. At least I have time on my side.

Yes, this is my first venture into both, Heritage and tubes. I agree with j-malotky that I don't care much for NAD pre's either but that 2200 has always seemed rock solid in it's performance. I just need to get it to a lab to have them look into its popping problem when I shut it down. I think it has either a bad cap or a cracked circuit board. I am the original owner and it's never been dropped so I am only guessing.

The mention of used Mac and other tube gear in combination with my 2200 sounds very intersting to me. I'll have to talk to Larry Clare about his rig (I have no idea what those things cost). I should also contact Craig as he only lives about 90 minutes from me. And..then there's Ebay and Audiogon, etc. All great suggestions. Thanks you guys.

Max: I hope you get the chance to hear these babies at the show. They are amazingly different from the twos! Much improved. (OPA!) We did a side-by-side comparison at the Pilgrimage and our jaws dropped at the different. They have the same frequency response at the LaScala III, just with lower volume output. Klipsch has really done a fine job of tweaking these out. Of course, they had to raise the price too, because they hadn't had a price increase in years, and nearly every componet in them has been re-engineered and upgraded. I don't know what the final retail price finished out to be, but back in June, we were told $1,500/pair (US). Please correct me if I am wrong but, I think the twos were $850/pair (US).

Raptorman: Yeah, "serious upgrade path": You could say that. LOLO! I'm all set with my reference system in my theater and the SS gear I have running that. However, these Heresies just opened a new door for me in 2-channel. I really want to retain my 2200 for now and try the tube-pre thing first. However, at the Pilgrimage I heard a pair of LaScala's hooked up to a pair of Craig's VRD amps and I believe a Blueberry. OMG! I am hooked! I have never heard a more realistic sound from anything. I think I see a pair of VRDs (and probably industrial LaScalas) in my future....eventually. Oh God...I'm in trouble! [:P]

Picky, when money is an issue (when isn't it?) NAD and Klipsch were designed for each other. The 2200 is a great amp. With regard to the NAD pre-amps, they're okay, but I think for the Heresys, I would go tube. You guys in the 'States can buy the Merlin for next to nothing. It's a no brainer.

Glenn,

What is your budget? Right now, I'm using Blueberry Xtreme with the *cheap* Teac A-L700 amp (thanks again, Dee!), and it sounds delicious. Jonesin' now for a Njoe Tjoeb CD player like Dee's. I wanna be just like Dee (edit: Djee), I guess! ;^)

Picky first congrats on the new arrival although I am jealous as H E double hockey sticks. As far as a two channel pre IMO you cannot go wrong with one of Marks BB Xtreme's. I have heard his Peach and BB Xtreme and they are truly exceptional IMO. So let me also chime in with a JM recommendation.

http://www.juicymusicaudio.com/web_pages/xtreme2.html

TUBES:

Lower cost:

Scott integrated or Fisher receiver rebuilt tube unit (about $450-800)

Mid cost:

JM Merlin plus Dynaco ST70 or Dynaco III pair ($1300-1900)

High cost:

BB Peach/BB Extreme with VRD's. ($4K-ish)

The JM is more "accurate" but still very fluid and pleasing to the ear - very "transparent" - the Mac sound is really nice and relaxed, but a bit more "dark/mellow" - comfy like your dad's La-Z-Boy.

In Mac (with a few SS options too):

Lower cost:

6100 integrated (SS - $800ish?)

Mid Cost:

MX-110 (NIIIICE tuner, too) + MC250 SS amp ($1400)

Upper/mid cost:

MX-110 + MC30 pair (what I have) $1800-3K - depends on condition

High cost:

C-22 with MC30 or MC60 pair (mainly a preference between the 6L6GC and the KT88 tubes here) $4-5K

That's the menu spread as I see it[:)]

I was hoping to keep the budget at or below $500 (US) right now. Looks like I'll have to go used as the Merlins are $750. Maybe I can find an old Dynaco or Scott preamp out there somewhere that's in good shape? Maybe by next Spring, when I'll be ready to buy, I may have a bit more money to add to the budget?

Things are tight right now. I work in IT for Visteon and that company has us all going through transitions right now. Heck, I don't even know if I'll have a job next Spring. I am looking for a position outside of automotive. Times are hard all over, but automotive has been hit especially hard. Our son is a designer at Delphi and they just filed for Chapter 11. He's doing okay for now. We're not letting this get us down. In fact, this whole thing could be an opportunity to get an even better job or open our own business!