Back To The K77s

garymd

Are K-77's still available from Klipsch parts? I know I may be in the minority, but I think I'd rather get an OEM replacement if it's available just to keep my speakers as original as possible.

Tom,<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

If you wish to stick with your K77's by all means it is your gig? However if you are interested in a performance enhancement IMO the K77's are a step back or lateral at best. You are essentially paying money to maintain status quo! That is fine obviously it is your choice but it depends on what your goal is. If you want that I'd say just have new diaphragms put in your current set. I think sometimes people see folk's mod their Klipsch and they get their panties wadded up in a bunch as though it is blasphemy. There is nothing wrong with Klipsch speakers in their stock form; none of us who have done mods even suggest that. But at least in my case curiosity got the better of me after having stock La Scalas for over 20 years., I bought ALK networks and shazam it was an instant improvement. I kept reading about Altec 511s, 811s, trachornsyadda yadda or so I thought. So I spent a few bucks and tried a set of 511bs fully expecting to rebut those who made these seemingly outrageous claims about the performance enhancement. I was wrong and they are now a probable permanent change to my system. So again I took the Kool Aid and did a tweeter change/upgrade, again more enhancement, at present I am pretty happy with my speakers. Anyway what is my point here? If you want to keep your CWs stock and you like them as is then dont get the new tweeters. But if you want to see if there is a venue forward to a sound you may like or may not better then I think these tweeters Bob sells are a really good option. One of the bennies here is it is completely reversible mod and requires no crossover changes. Kind of painless. Let me ask you this if you had a lead on a better set of tubes for either your JMA BBX or your VRD's and they were affordable and you could take them out after you tried them if you felt you had a better set up in the first place would you make the jump or leave then as is. This is not an indictment here please understand I am not prodding you into making a choice in favor of the new tweeters. But if your curiosity is tapping you and it seems to me it is a bit try em! Let your ears decide!

R/Jim

Are K-77's still available from Klipsch parts? I know I may be in the minority, but I think I'd rather get an OEM replacement if it's available just to keep my speakers as original as possible.

Tom,<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

If you wish to stick with your K77's by all means it is your gig? However if you are interested in a performance enhancement IMO the K77's are a step back or lateral at best. You are essentially paying money to maintain status quo! That is fine obviously it is your choice but it depends on what your goal is. If you want that I'd say just have new diaphragms put in your current set. I think sometimes people see folk's mod their Klipsch and they get their panties wadded up in a bunch as though it is blasphemy. There is nothing wrong with Klipsch speakers in their stock form; none of us who have done mods even suggest that. But at least in my case curiosity got the better of me after having stock La Scalas for over 20 years., I bought ALK networks and shazam it was an instant improvement. I kept reading about Altec 511s, 811s, trachornsyadda yadda or so I thought. So I spent a few bucks and tried a set of 511bs fully expecting to rebut those who made these seemingly outrageous claims about the performance enhancement. I was wrong and they are now a probable permanent change to my system. So again I took the Kool Aid and did a tweeter change/upgrade, again more enhancement, at present I am pretty happy with my speakers. Anyway what is my point here? If you want to keep your CWs stock and you like them as is then dont get the new tweeters. But if you want to see if there is a venue forward to a sound you may like or may not better then I think these tweeters Bob sells are a really good option. One of the bennies here is it is completely reversible mod and requires no crossover changes. Kind of painless. Let me ask you this if you had a lead on a better set of tubes for either your JMA BBX or your VRD's and they were affordable and you could take them out after you tried them if you felt you had a better set up in the first place would you make the jump or leave then as is. This is not an indictment here please understand I am not prodding you into making a choice in favor of the new tweeters. But if your curiosity is tapping you and it seems to me it is a bit try em! Let your ears decide!

R/Jim

Great post.

Jim, a well thought out post that makes a lot of sense. I guess my curiosity here is why Klipsch would not alter their crossover and K-77 designs if they could actually achieve noticeably better sound at near or close to the same pricepoint?

That's a question for Klipsch to answer. We can only speculate...

It might even have to do with marketing. But you'd think that they might induce sales and coming up with a new and improved product every few years like they do in their other lines. I guess they don't want to dillute the heritage products.

why doesn't klipsch make these changes? It might have to do with loyalty to the heritage line, PWK stopped and said "this is good enough" and they respect that. It also might have to do with diminishing returns, they need to look at bottom line issues and the k77 certainly does not cost them as much as the JBL 2404H, few are complaining so why add cost/price?

From a tweaker/owner point of view some decisions are easy to make, a few better caps and coils in the crossover? ok. $250 each for a k77 or a JBL? I go JBL...a different horn for a couple of hundred? why not? try it out...that is how we think...some things make big differences, some small, some none....To me upgrading the crossover and mid driver and horn take priority over the tweeter but YMMV.

best of luck, tony

I have ALKs and a 511B squawker with BEC tweeters, and can go back to original in under an hour if I were to sell them.

Mike,

The 511B doesn't drop into a KHorn top bin, does it? Do you have an alternate top bin? Or the Al K package?

I must say I,m getting very curious to hear this!

Mike,

The 511 is too big to fit in the Khorn HF. A number of folks have managed to get the smaller 811 horn under the top, but it requires some cutting to get it in. Al Klappenberger added an inch or so of height to his Belle HF's to accomodate this horn. Al's trachorn is of similar size. The Belle requires some added height in the HF to accomodate it, but it is sized to fit in the Khorn HF.

If you click on Al's profile, he has got a link to his personal website which details the 811 mods. He also mentions that he started out with the 511 horn.

Peter:

Just to further elaborate on what Daddy Dee pointed out, the 511B Altec horns are pretty large, height-wise, and therefore, they would not fit under the stock hood of a K-horn without it being raised quite a bit. If you look at Al's pictures when he had the 511s in his Belles, you will see just how tall those horns are.

The 811B Altec horn (much smaller than the 511) is a much better fit for a K-horn top, but you would not want to use one for a Klipschorn since the Klipschorn bass bin only goes up into the 400s (hz), and the 811 horn is only designed to go down to 800hz. That would leave a "hole" from 400-800hz with the Klipschorn. The 811 horn would work for a LaScala or Belle, however, and Al originally used 811s for his Belles because the LaScala/Belle bass bin can almost go up to 800hz. That mod would probably work best with Al's extreme slope crossovers so that you eliminate the possibility of any gap.

As mentioned, Al's Trachorn 400 is a drop in replacement for the Klipschorn, height-wise, and Al also sells the customized grill to fit it. Easy to install, and the Klipschorn still looks stock. Belles require a height adjustment for the Trachorns, but again, Al sells raisers and custom grills for Belles so that they still look stock afterwards. I was pleased with the fit and finish (and ease of installation) of Al's Trachorn kit.

You would enjoy hearing J.4knee's 511s (or 811s or Trachorns).

Carl.

That is cool. If ya wanna know fer sure I can bring mine up sometime and ya get a free listen that way. But yeah I fully appreciate folks who want to keep their Klipsch stock. After all if it weren't for PWK none of us would be here!

Thanks for the offer Jim! I am also willing to bring my BBX and VRD's to SD sometime if you'd like to hear them on your modded LS's.

Oh, and regarding the PWK comment, amen brother. R.I.P. Mr. Klipsch!

Maybe Gary will loan me his for a week? [;)]

You can borrow mine, Tom. I just pulled mine out after almost 3 days of intense listening. I don't think I'm going to put them back in any time soon . . .

Kind of interesting I just took all the none Klipsch components out of my system this morning except the Type A with Hovlands and Auricaps (which are still Klipsch design)..... No Trachorn, No BEC Tweeters and no ALK Jrs. It sounds different for sure but in no way bad. I'm going to switch back in a couple weeks. I think the setup was just to detailed almost to the point of Hyper. I'd say it's currently more musical and less snobbish sounding. But I bet a dime to a dollar it tests bad [;)]

Craig

I agree completely. In fact, I got so fed up with the detail and transparency that I disconnected my Klipschorns and just set up my Original Advents. Still more clean and accurate then I want the sound to be, so I'm hunting down the old electrolytics I pulled out of them last year.[:|]

I must admit... I'm not sure what's not to like about the new tweeter. I have over 35 hours of intense listening with mine and think they have it all over the K-77. It appears Larry, Gary and Allan are the only naysayers, and these 3 are all very familiar with one anothers gear, and their own listening habits... certainly moreso than I am.

I just finished comparing the old tweeters with the AL networks with the new tweeters and the ALK's, and here are the comparisons using the Stereophile Test CD #2 and the Rat Shack SPL meter. In both cases 1k hz was measured at 80 db from the listening position.

K-77 w/AL networks

_5000hz-82db
_6300hz-85db + 2db = 87db
_8000hz-81db + 3db = 84db
10000hz-74db + 4.4db = 78.4db
12500hz-66db + 6.2db = 72.2db
16000hz-61db + 8.5db = 69.5db
20000hz-52db + 12.2db = 64.2db
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

and the Crites tweeter w/ALK's

_5000hz-84db
_6300hz-81db + 2db = 83db
_8000hz-80db + 3db = 83db
10000hz-72db + 4.4db = 76.4db
12500hz-70db + 6.2db = 76.2db
16000hz-66db + 8.5db = 74.5db
20000hz-62db + 12.2db = 74.2db

Pretty substantial difference in the upper register in my room. The numbers after the plus sign are the adjustments to be made using the SPL meter. BTW, I have the attenuation set to 6.2 on the ALK's for anyone using the same networks.

Mike