My New Khorn Listening Room is finally finished! - Pictures Attached

Cut-Throat

I had been designing and working on this for about 8 months. I did a dedicated Sub-Panel with a Circuit for every piece of gear (8). 12 gauge romex and 20 amp breakers. Hubbel Hospital grade outlets. All on the same phase.

I had the cabinets and Crown molding professionally built.

KhornRoom1.jpg

KhornRoom2.jpg

KhornRoom3.jpg

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very beautiful room there, Cut-throat! Very masculine design. I have to ask, though: Why are there doors and drawers behind the speakers? Seems a from-scratch room would give the speakers a more "built-in" (or "built-for") look. Not sure how one would do that. This is in no way a criticism, just curious.

EDIT: Perhaps they're not operable, i.e. false panels?

Behind the Khorns are false Panels. No operating doors. They have a 3/4 inch inch Oak raised panel with 2 - 3/4 inch MDF panels behind plus extra bracing panels for rigidity. The backs are open to the rear room in case I want to fill the panels someday with sandbags for even greater density.

The reason I did this is so that if down the road I want to switch to a different speaker (say Edgarhorns) I could move the Khorns out and still have a finished raised panel showing. That way I was not building the room only for Khorns, but I could accomodate almost any speaker design.

The back of the wall is my workshop, where I have access to all of the electrical and speaker wiring. The dimensions of the work shop is about 40 feet by 12 feet. The dimensions of the listening room is 27 feet by 25 feet.

The turntable is permanently in 'mothballs'