AKFest 06

Parrot

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yup come on down my two rooms will have Dean, Rick Flynn, Paul, Dave Mc (Ak member) and myself. I plan to wear a stylus or two out over the weekend!! Back to packing gear!!! Of course both rooms will be running Klipsch and tubes!!!!

Craig

I was unaware the Parrot was coming. Craig said Dean was coming.

In the past 2 years we have done some fun stuff.

-SACD to LP comparrisons

-DVD A to LP comparisons

-Klipsch bookshelves with tubes ( I am bringing RB-5s and lead filled Sanus stands)

-VRD and Blueberrries[<:o)]

-LaScalas!

I am bringing my Chorus IIs as well.

There are some other fun rooms trying to best the horny Klipsch guys for soundstage and realism...most fail.

We welcome lurkers and posters alike.

Rick

I will be attending tomorrow, complete with a "swap meet" table where I'll be selling a few audio odds and ends. With 8 month old twins keeping us hopping, I've had to have some serious negotiations with the wife to carve out some time to attend.

I'm looking forward to meeting Parrot. Maybe that will help me figure out what folks are complaining about! [:)]

We all know Parrot is a real ____ but show up anyway [;)]

We all know Parrot is a real... 'joy to have around...? lol! [;)] Just make sure he doesn't start sharpening his beak on the walnut surrounds of your beautiful VRD's.

P.S. Paul, are you going to take some pics for us?

• Moderators

AK Fest is this weekend. If you're in the Michigan area, stop by. This is a rare opportunity to meet the Parrot in person and hear two hotel floors of systems.

http://audiokarma.org/ak2006/index.html

Parrot,

I want a full report on the Mac room and of course Craig's VRD exhibit, any chance of photos? If you see Luther from San Antonio tell him I said hello and we will get AK Fest on the Schedule next year.

Travis

I wish I was there. Envisioning me sitting down with Dean & Craig over drinks. I think the convo would go something like this..... "you're crazy", "no YOU'RE crazy", "you're crazyER", "you're more crazy than him - but you're still crazy". The convo would end telling me to buy Bose cubes. I'd probably be willing to pay for such entertainment. [:D]

I wish I was there. Envisioning me sitting down with Dean & Craig over drinks. I think the convo would go something like this..... "you're crazy", "no YOU'RE crazy", "you're crazyER", "you're more crazy than him - but you're still crazy". The convo would end telling me to buy Bose cubes. I'd probably be willing to pay for such entertainment. [:D]

Craig and Dean in the same room and drinks? I'd get them to tell me about the time Craig talked Dean into sticking his mit into an powered up amp.[<:o)]

AK Fest is this weekend. If you're in the Michigan area, stop by.

This is a rare opportunity to meet the Parrot in person and hear two

hotel floors of systems.

http://audiokarma.org/ak2006/index.html

Parrot,

I want a full report on the Mac room and of course Craig's VRD

exhibit, any chance of photos? If you see Luther from San Antonio

tell him I said hello and we will get AK Fest on the Schedule next year.

Travis

Since I live 35 minutes away and late night time at a "fest" can most

times be a non musical, testosterone laden, "db" inundating experience;

and since I hate hotel rooms due to too much business travel, I am here

to feed a few notes on to all from the comforts of home..

-Dean recapped my Chorus IIs onsite today; full burn in has begun as of

4:00 PM through the Nos Valves VRD ST JR prototype with JM Peach and

Deans Sony 9000 on the front end.

I have had the CH IIs since 10-01 and have kept them bone stock. Dean

did the first network by 1:00 PM andf we did a side by side. I have

been running hard for work and the homelife so it was wild to do a demo

like this; never done one like it beofre in about 30 years of audio.

"Left /Right network demo! Very strange equilibrium as a speaker owner.

Dean was processing it all as a technician; for me it was a bit tired

out and confused.

Very nice results so far; smearing of soundsatge is greatly reduced at

high SPL where stock network would be over taxed. Attack of notes has

more realism with reduced edge iness.

-Craig has LScalas on the long wall of the room to get the hotel room

reflecion nasties under control. Both turntables; Sota and MMF-7 inot

the Blueberry Extreme and VRDs.

Deans networks, trachorns are the icing on the cake.

A very strong room in the "fest"; frequently with 3-5 guys standing around screwing up the soundstage.[:)]

-Mike Whell is alive and well and has the additional grey hair to prove

he is a DAD of twins (yes, DAD in CAPS 'cause if you have nver had

twins, you do not know $chit about how demanding kids are). I less than

half heartedly try to drag him into tubes; knowing he needs to avoid

the obsession afew months or years more.

-Parrot [8-|]

The man has an eye for the classical vinyl like few others I have met.

he does not grab them for the acculation of numbers of LPs but also

knows the cultural significance to the past few centuries composers

that I most likley will never know. And buys only what he needs.

-Dean and Parrot

Two guys in the same room with more contrasting muscial taste, would be

a challenge to recreate. Dean with his metal taste that is a bit

specific to bands that seem to avoid the overcompression of commercial

hard rock of the curent day. Parrot with a song or two type patience

for the ultra "hard stuff" is more suited to counting in space the

number of violins and cellos in a recording than deciding whether the

lead guitar player is playing a Fender Strat or a Les Paul from Gibson.

Really good guys!

-Tommorrow?

Maybe RB-5 and VRD...JA MIchel TT... A little DVD_A...and Dean networks with the Chorus IIs burned in overnight.

I wish I could have made this, but too much going on here at home to allow for the 7 1/2 hour drive each way - plus time to enjoy the fest. So I stayed here in town and assisted our new VRD/Peach owners in making a few tweaks - and my wife's birthday is today, so all things considered, it was best to stay home.

I'll bet the Klipsch gang was a hoot, though - this is the main reason I wish I could be there. Dean, Craig, and Parrot all in one place - they should sell tickets.

I also had ideas of stealing (well, let's just say borrowing long enough to take it to Craig's room) the McIntosh 275MKIV and having a direct A/B shootout with the VRD's[:D]

The VRD ST Jr. is the latest offering from Craig - similar to a pair of Mark III's, except new and tweaked.

Oh, and Strabo - that avatar ROCKS.

I had every intention of attending the AK Fest yesterday (Saturday). Unfortunately, my wife became ill overnite Friday night and spiked a fever. We had to do the aspirin/cold-compress-thing and the fever finally broke around 5:30 in the morning. Then I wasn't feeling too weel myself by around 9:30 AM when I was going to leave to get to the hotel. It's only about 10 miles from my home. Patrick (gonzp) was supposed to join me at Craig's rooms and then he was going to come by the house later in the day to check out our theater and the new Heresy IIIs in the garage. But, I spoke with Craig and Patrick on the phone and told them I'd better not come out, just in case whatever this is is contagious.

We're feeling fine today. Patrick is coming over the house today instead and we'll be watching the Red Wings play their 2nd playoff game in our HT. Unfortunately, the game starts at 1 PM so, that doesn't allow me much time to take in the AK Fest today either.

I didn't realize that so many of our members were going to be in town this weekend. Otherwise, I would have sponsored a bigger get together over here at the house for you. So, if any of you are interested, you are welcome to PM me with a way to get in touch with you and I'll give you directions to our house if you are interested in checking out our HT today. Patrick will be here around 12 or 12:30 today and I assume he'll be staying for the entire hockey game. I know this is pretty late notice, but you all are welcome here anytime today between Noon and 6:00 PM. Just give me a PM with your contact info!