Will it take off?

Coytee

• Moderators

Oh ffs. Put the rubber band propeller plane on the treadmill and watch it take off. There is lift because the wheels on the ground versus the treadmill mean nothing. The thrust of the engine(s) is on the air, the craft moves forward, lift happens and it takes off.

LOL---that thurst is BEHIND thwe wings and not over them. No lift my freind! no lift, no fly.LOL thrust is not LIFT~~~

What is there about the conveyor belt moving backwards that keeps the plane from moving forward.

Once you apply thrust the conveyor belt can be going whatever speed, the plane moves independent of the conbeyor belt, it accelerates as if there is no conveyer belt at all, generates lift and flys.

• Moderators

Oh ffs. Put the rubber band propeller plane on the treadmill and watch it take off. There is lift because the wheels on the ground versus the treadmill mean nothing. The thrust of the engine(s) is on the air, the craft moves forward, lift happens and it takes off.

LOL---that thurst is BEHIND thwe wings and not over them. No lift my freind! no lift, no fly.LOL thrust is not LIFT~~~

Think outside the box, that is your barrier to understanding the problem, everyone knows if the wings do not move throught the air they do not produce lift. The plane will in fact move forward, and the wings will produce lift. What Oldtimers is trying to tell you is that it will move forward because of thrust.

Will an airplane move forward on top of a conveyor belt/treadmill? That is the fundamental question, and tha answer is yes it will. Why? The wheels on an airplane are free spinning.

• Moderators

Ah hhh, of course... Power is not through wheels!! Wheels and belt are not relevant. Oh my brain is on sleep tonight! How stupid of my!!!

Oppp, sorry I didn't see this ahen I made my post just previous to this.

I don't think it has anything to do with fast brain ir slow brain, it has more to do with frame of reference. For nmost people this is an automobile or walking on a treadmill. You have to lose that frame of reference in order to visualize that the plane, and attached wings, move forward regardless of the speed of the conveyor belt in the opposite direction.

Travis

• Moderators

Sounds as if a different question is in order...

Yes indeed. The question shoukd be does Bernoulli or Newton provide a better explination of lift as it relates to aircraft wings and flying.

I believe it is clearly Newton, but Bernoulli was in all the books when I learned to fly on account of it being easier to u derstand conceptually.

If a jet airplane is tethered, yet operated at maximum thrust, will it lift off? No.

If a jet airplane has a "treadmill" runway that is at least as long as the "fixed" runway necessary for flight and is allowed to gather airspeed sufficient for flight, will it lift off? Yes.

You totally don't understand thrust.  Which leads to speed, which has nothing to do with wheels on the ground, or skids, or skates.  But that's OK.  Someday you will.

Who is "you?"  I'm not sure who was the recipient of your fine mini-tirade/snarky conclusion.  :)

Ah hhh, of course... Power is not through wheels!! Wheels and belt are not relevant. Oh my brain is on sleep tonight! How stupid of my!!!

That's OK -- it took 48 pages of posts (so far) and some people STILL don't get it!

Congratulations!

Edited by LarryC
  • Like 1

That's OK -- it took 48 pages of posts (so far) and some people STILL don't get it!

Congratulations!

I got it in 3 seconds...

• Administrators

RE: thread bumping - I can't easily tell who originally bumped this thread, but I just changed the settings so that members can only bump their OWN topics that they started themselves. Admins and Mods can still bump any topic.

Also, if you hate seeing this thread, why keep replying to it?  :D

Edit: in this context, the thread bumping I'm talking about is the "Bump This Topic" button that lets you bump a topic up without posting to it.

• Like 2

RE: thread bumping - I can't easily tell who originally bumped this thread, but I just changed the settings so that members can only bump their OWN topics that they started themselves. Admins and Mods can still bump any topic.

Also to your also, why do we park in a driveway, and drive on a parkway?   :unsure2: 

+++

I am just confirming, I just tried to Bump this topic, and the Bump This Topic button is gone!  Mission accomplished!   :emotion-21:

The plane will / will not fly.  I think many think they know everything won't ever admit they might be wrong about the play taking off or not taking off.  And well, a few just love to pummel dead horses over and over again.  Maybe some of us are senile and forget we've already replied to this topic numerous times.   :wacko:

RE: thread bumping - I can't easily tell who originally bumped this thread, but I just changed the settings so that members can only bump their OWN topics that they started themselves.

Awesome Chad.  I've always hated the anonymous thread bump feature.

• Like 1

Bumping this thread to remind myself what was posted an hour ago in the hopes it will remind me what I had for breakfast.

Ah, a sentence only another lawyer could love.  :wub2:

Or understand.