Will it take off?

Coytee

You need CO2 cartridges for your home soda fountain so you go to the local grocery/party store to buy them. You place a CO2 cartridge on the check-out conveyor belt with the bottom facing you and the top facing in the direction of the belt's motion. While the belt is moving away from you (moving the cartridge with it), you accidentally puncture the top of the cartridge (don't worry about how) and the cartridge instantly rockets in the direction opposite the belt's motion. The thrust produced by the escaping gas cares not what the conveyor belt is doing. The motion of the belt will have no discernable effect upon the cartridge as it shoots in the opposite direction.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

The plane flies.

Just a quick thought as to what might be 'behind' the two camps perceptual differences...although I have no personal issue with the problem...<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

One camp seems to focus on the wheels and the conveyor.

If we see the wheels as being the source of propulsion - the forward force for the plane, then their frictional coefficient becomes significant...their potential to skid, slip, etc. relative to the conveyor is important.

And if we simply focus on this 'subsystem, if the forward velocity remains equal (by definition) with the conveyors diametrically opposed velocity, they will remain equal and the net displacement will remain zero. If this continues, and as we are not provided with any information regarding air movement (therefore assuming the air is stationary), the plane will remain with zero net physical displacement for as long as the above conditions hold.

Perhaps I have missed something, but I think that this just may summarize the "it won't fly" group's position...

But let's stop for a second and stand back. Let's refocus OUR perspective. Rather than simply focus on the relationship of the forces applied by the wheels and the conveyor, let's look at the rest of the system.

We are still free to apply force via air pressure. Nothing in the initial conditions precludes the application of additional force in a 'new' manner. And this force may be delivered by many potential means. If we apply force via the fluid known as air, we can move the plane relative to the ambient air that we might assume to be standing still. We can accelerate the plane, not via the wheels, but by the air - just like a jet or rocket of even a prop does. In this case we are looking at the net forces within the frame of reference of the air. And a significant force applied to the plane via air pressure can accelerate the plane relative to the standing 'ambient' air.

In doing so, the fundamental coupled relationship between wheel velocity and conveyor velocity ceases to be a limiting factor. We can provide an additional net force to the plane via the air pressure, and thus the net sum of the forces moving the plane becomes greater than the net sum of the forces opposing its movement, and their is a net positive physical displacement. And if we apply enough force in such a manner, we can achieve sufficient lift to fly the plane - regardless of how fast the conveyor or wheels are turning.

Thus we can achieve flight if we understand that our frame of reference has shifted to one other than that of the wheels and the conveyor. We can apply other forces in other 'places', yet still have an effect on the total system known as the plane. And I think that this captures the general gist of the "it will fly" group's perspective.

Maybe this helps a bit and maybe it doesn't...but this is simply intended to try to reframe the issue a bit and present a perspective for the two groups to step back and look at their assumptions a bit. As I think the real problem is that each group is tending to redefine the initial question into a form with which they are more comfortable, rather than looking at the problem in its strict sense - and it is, at best, a very poorly framed question!

Personally I am amazed that some of you are still at this! [:P]

Especially as everyone knows that the color of the interconnects' insulation has a critical bearing on the quality of the conducted signal within! [;)]

...........and it is, at best, a very poorly framed question! .........

Nice recap, all in all, there mas, but I think the open wording of the question is the beauty of the problem. The red herring of the conveyor speed matching the plane's speed creates a distracting paradox for people until the light bulb finally goes on and they realize that understanding the conveyor action, whatever it is, just doesn't matter in order to answer the question correctly.

Here's another way of looking at this that might maybe possibly convince some people that the damn plane will fly away.

Let's say you have a plane with a maximum level flight velocity of, uh, 450 mph. A nice P-51 or something. You put it on a conveyor belt, with wheel chocks in place and the engine off, and accelerate the belt (with the plane going backwards) to, uh, 500 mph. The belt is whizzing along with the plane sitting on it, going backwards at 500 mph. Now, remove the wheel chocks, climb in, and fire the plane up. Begin moving forward (relative to the belt) and attempt to take off. Can you?

Answer (A). No, stupid, of course you can't. The belt is going backwards at 500 mph, and the plane's maximum velocity is 450 mph. Even if you reached this maximum velocity while running with your wheels on the belt, which I doubt you could do, you'd still be going *BACKWARDS* at 50 mph when you reached your maximum velocity. Obviously you can't fly.

Answer (B). Look, let's try one more time. The plane's maximum velocity of 450 mph is a maximum *AIRSPEED*, not a maximum *GROUNDSPEED*. The first thing that's gonna happen when you remove the wheel chocks is that the air rushing past the plane at 500 mph is going to begin pushing the plane forward (relative to the belt.) When you climb in and fire up the engine, you will begin moving forward along the belt, or reducing your rearward velocity, however you want to look at it, and doing so at quite a rapid pace. As you apply engine thrust you will reach a point where the plane is not moving at all relative to the surroundings (zero airspeed), and is wheeling along at 500 mph relative to the belt. At this point the engine is hardly working at all, because all it's doing is fighting the "pull" of the belt passing beneath its wheels. As you continue to throttle up, the plane begins to move forward relative to the air. You reach the Vlof speed, and take off. Granted, at that point the wheels are travelling at a rotational speed equal to moving at 500 mph + Vlof, but we shod the thing with really, really good tires.

Answer ©. The belt produces a thrust vector that imparts a transient kinentic moment equal in magnitude to, but opposite in gradient scale, to the forward lift component of the rotating prop, or the expulsed compustion products. As is clearly stated in the original suppopreposition, the vector magnitude of the scale of the velocity of the belt is diametrically opposing and offset to the velocity component of this vector. This being the case, no amount of force application will circumtranslate into the derivation of forward velocity sufficient to exceed the amount required to negate the rearward component. The system is in a statis equilibrium that cannot be violated without ignoring the 2nd law of thermodynamics. This should be clear to anyone who has half a brain and spends any time at all thinking about this.

I've seen example of all three answers in this thread. [:(]

I'll B waiting for your analysis. B. goode.

Just one final question then i'm then just gonna look in every week or so to see how this is going.

Question, how the H#LL can somebody have 24 years experience as a pilot and still come to the conclusion that he did. I'm sorry but someone is having a laugh at our expense, other than that he got his licence out of a box of cornflakes.

I finially had the nerve to ask my wife last night. She thinks I'm wierd anyway for going to this sight and "chatting".

Let me "set the table". Last night we went to Circuit City and Best Buy as I wanted to buy a SACD or DVD-A. A line had formed at both places for the new Nintendo game thingy. I got in the car a caughed "nerd" several times just watching these people in the cold.

Anyway when we got home and I read this thread and decided to pose this question to her. Keep in mind she has a graduate degree and works in the medical field in an operating room on very delicate cases giving anesthesia. Certainly no dumb cookie and I contend, almost as smart as I [:D].

After I posed the question, she looked at me with a different look, and a look I took as pondering the very question. She turned her back, walked in her closet and caughed "who gives a sh_t". Well, I didn't understand her and I asked what she said. Again she caughed "who gives a sh_t". I was taken back as I thought I heard what she said and I proceeded to ask her again. Again..."who gives a sh_t". I repeated to her what she said and in a look of disbelief she said, "do you people ever discuse speakers"? I was a little embarrased, but, that's the answer she will let me have! She has once again told me my opinion that I must stick with!

Thank God for her, I'm not sure how I got through life without her.

Wait til the next Oprah come on, just wait!

Can anyone tell me how this can fly? Let's say it had wheels on it and it was leaning against a vertical conveyor belt spinning in the opposite direction with equal speed? I mean, this should be static in motion...Right? [:D]

I know this (proof) argument has been offered before, but seems to have been ignored.

This will take a minute to get to the crux of things... http://mfile.akamai.com/18566/wmv/etouchsyst2.download.akamai.com/18355/wm.nasa-global/sts-121/right_forward_srb_camera.asx

http://mfile.akamai.com/18566/wmv/etouchsyst2.download.akamai.com/18355/wm.nasa-global/sts-121/right_forward_srb_camera.asx

• Moderators

I finially had the nerve to ask my wife last night. She thinks I'm wierd anyway for going to this sight and "chatting".

Let me "set the table". Last night we went to Circuit City and Best Buy as I wanted to buy a SACD or DVD-A. A line had formed at both places for the new Nintendo game thingy. I got in the car a caughed "nerd" several times just watching these people in the cold.

Anyway when we got home and I read this thread and decided to pose this question to her. Keep in mind she has a graduate degree and works in the medical field in an operating room on very delicate cases giving anesthesia. Certainly no dumb cookie and I contend, almost as smart as I [:D].

Phil,

In my opinion you have the best Avatar on the forum.

It will not fly, just as a car on a dyno with not reach any speed. The wing needs air to move over it's wings, and it is not getting any. Just like the car's tires need friction to move forward, it is not getting any on a dyno. If you are talking about propulsion (jet thrust) there could be enought, but then it is not longer an airplane, it is a rocket, and by definition it is not flying.

The Space Shuttle is perfectly stationery on the pad, but it sure can take off. However, when it takes off it is a rocket, when it lands it flying.

Travis

Old enough.....You need forward thrust across the wings to create a vacuum over the top of the wing this provids the lift... Air foil shape plus forward thrust will lift the plain off the ground without forward thrust the plain will stall......But in saying this if you have enough power you can thrust a brick into the air.....Convair belt and weels are unemportant, You can use a skid as the Wright Bro. used. Im right your wrong and that is the end of this discussion.

Hey travis, I think it's pointless to go on with this subject. It's obvious that you and I are interpreting the question in the same manner. i.e. the planes speed relative to the runway/conveyor, versus the planes speed relative to it's surroundings. I honestly don't understand why all the confusion, and thought it pretty striaght forward.

I too thought about introducing the Dynometer scenario, but then thought otherwise because of the means of propulsion... i.e. wheel or mechanically driven, and I thought that would only cause more confussion.

I think the wording of the question could have been done a better way, or a less confussing way. Rather than the question stating "the planes speed is matched by the conveyor", the wording should have stated "the planes would-be speed is matched etc etc.....". But wording the question in this fashion would undoubtedly remove all question, and ruin the debate.

Here's a link to a near mishap with a dyno run.... maybe it will change some of the view, maybe not. But in any event, it's a cool video to watch.

And now, I'm going to go wrestle with the kids,.... I got one pulling on my leg right now and she's a cutie... enjoy the music and I'll see ya guys on a different thread, adios mi amigos klipsch.

Phil,

In my opinion you have the best Avatar on the forum.

It will not fly, just as a car on a dyno with not reach any speed. The wing needs air to move over it's wings, and it is not getting any. Just like the car's tires need friction to move forward, it is not getting any on a dyno. If you are talking about propulsion (jet thrust) there could be enought, but then it is not longer an airplane, it is a rocket, and by definition it is not flying.

The Space Shuttle is perfectly stationery on the pad, but it sure can take off. However, when it takes off it is a rocket, when it lands it flying.

Travis

I am really having a problem understanding why there's so much misunderstanding here. A car moves by using it's tires to push against the road. Put a car on a dyno, or conveyor belt or whatever, and it won't move, because the surface the tires are pushing against is going in the other direction at the same speed, so the car's body doesn't move.

A plane moves by pushing against the air, not the ground. What the ground beneath the plane is doing has no impact on what the air the plane is sitting in is doing. If the air is stationary, and the plane is pushing against the air, the plane will move relative to the air. What is happening underneath the plane, and what the surface its wheels are in contact with is doing, has no impact on the plane's ability to move forward by pushing against the air. If the conveyor belt had some way to drag the air backwards, so the air above the belt was moving along with the belt, then yeah, the plane would never take off. But that doesn't happen. The air remains stationary, the plane pushes against the air, the plane begins to move forward relative to the air, the plane takes off. Suppose the plane was using an air cushion, like a hovercraft, instead of wheels. Would you say the plane would take off then? If so, what's the difference between the air cushion and the wheels? The wheels are not driven, remember, they just rotate as the plane moves relative to the ground.

Try this. You're flying above this conveyor belt. Your landing speed is, say, 100 mph. The belt is moving in the opposite direction at 100 mph. Could you do a touch and go? Well, sure. When the wheels touch the belt, they will begin rotating at a speed of 200 mph (you're going forward at 100 mph, belt is going backwards at 100 mph) but you could touch down, run down the belt at an airspeed of 100 mph, and take off again. Now go around, touch down, throttle back a bit to, say, an airspeed of 50 mph, then accelerate and take off. We can do that, right? Okay, do another go around. Touch down, throttle almost all the way back until you have an indicated airspeed of 0 mph, and the only thing the prop is doing is resisting the rearward force the belt is imparting through the friction of the rotating wheels. this is exactly the starting point of the question, except that the belt is moving faster in this scenario. Now accelerate and take off. Still with me? The belt could be moving at any arbitrary speed, it doesn't matter. The plane's thrust comes from pushing against the air, not the belt. As long as the air is not moving in the same direction and the same speed as the belt is moving, the plane will propel itself through the air and take off.

Our "won't take off" friends are just embarrassing themselves. You might try reading through some previous posts. This is sophomore level applied mechanics.

I'll just keep asking you doubters the same simple question that no one has bothered to answer:

How does the conveyor impart any horizontal force to the body of the plane that opposes the plane's thrust?

You can't say the plane won't take off until you answer that simple question. C'mon Gilbert, I've asked you this question two or three times. You can use any level of mathematics you want. I'd suggest using simple free body diagrams. I would really like to see someone tackle the question.

I did not take time to read all the 19 pages of this thread but I still think ya'll think it will not take off.

First, the airplanes engine (pushes or pulls) the airplane thru the air. The wheels are just free spinning they are not used to drive the airplane at all. The conveyer could be just spinning the wheels backwards.

When the engine on a plane is brought up to power it (pushes or pulls) the plane thru the air. As the wing goes thru the air it splits the airstream above and below the wing. The shape of the wing creates a lower pressure above the wing and a higher pressure below the wing. As speed thru the air is increased the wing produces lift and when lift is greater than the weight of the plane it will fly. So all the wheels do are let the plane roll, having the conveyer really wont help or hinder the ablity to take-off.

Now if the conveyer was attached to the structure it would help get the planes wings up to speed, like to catapults on a carier get the planes up to speed.

Steve