Considering RF-7's? Talk me into...talk me outta

BS Button

If I wouldn't have ran across such a screaming deal on the pair of Forte IIs that I bought I probably would have used that money to get DeanG's crossover upgrades and would have kept my RF-7s.

That being said, I just didn't have the $$ to get quality amplification that is necessary for the RF-7s. The Fortes and the KLF30s I have work awesome with my H/K amp.

Fish said: "I sure don't want to talk you into or out of anything.I always buy based on a thorough audition in the best possible place,my house on decent gear.I'm sure your ears will talk you into or out of things,but people,nope,all opinions,sometimes uninformed.I love to read reviews on audio review.com,everythings a 5 star,it's all good,the junkiest crap every made will be rated as good as Krell.

The thing with 7's is they cannot tolerate any weak link.In my years with 7's I've auditioned a few prepros and avrs that made em' sound pretty bad.If I didn't know their capability and only heard that at an audition I would not look twice.These speakers are not plug and play,I have some klf 20's and they can sound great on an onkyo,forget the 7's.To me the upsides are the pin point image,low level dynamics and massive roar when you crank em',it's endless volume until you're sure the cabinet will blow apart any minute.If,and I stress if,you're really interested you'd have to be prepared to do what it takes to make em' shine,a good source and smile at the appropriate time."

I agree with Fish that RF-7s have been the most demanding (and frustrating at times) speakers that I have owned to get right, gear-wise. Just bear in mind that RF-7s are more forward-sounding than your LaScalas were. At least if you go for RF-7s, you have a great chance at hearing them at their best (with a Peach/Aragon setup). I would do the Dean mod for the crossovers if you get the RF-7s. (Dean's instructions for the mod are in the forum somewhere).

On the other hand, RF-7s with Dean's mods are pretty great-sounding speakers once you get them right. Just a different cup of tea than Heritage. Stock Heritage vs. Dean-modded RF-7s? I could probably live with the RF-7s, but would probably still lean a little bit towards the Heritage.

Once you get into modded Heritage though - that's a different story for me. I am a modded Heritage guy from here on out, probably by a fairly large margin.

Carl.

I sure don't want to talk you into or out of anything.I always buy based on a thorough audition in the best possible place,my house on decent gear.I'm sure your ears will talk you into or out of things,but people,nope,all opinions,sometimes uninformed.I love to read reviews on audio review.com,everythings a 5 star,it's all good,the junkiest crap every made will be rated as good as Krell.

The thing with 7's is they cannot tolerate any weak link.In my years with 7's I've auditioned a few prepros and avrs that made em' sound pretty bad.If I didn't know their capability and only heard that at an audition I would not look twice.These speakers are not plug and play,I have some klf 20's and they can sound great on an onkyo,forget the 7's.To me the upsides are the pin point image,low level dynamics and massive roar when you crank em',it's endless volume until you're sure the cabinet will blow apart any minute.If,and I stress if,you're really interested you'd have to be prepared to do what it takes to make em' shine,a good source and smile at the appropriate time.

I can tell you this- Todd has top notch gear all around. So I think the RF7's would sound great with his setup. But dude, that room is VERY lively- you'd definitely need some room treatment before putting RF7's in there. imho.

Michael

Fish has ALWAYS been a solid supporter of RF-7's , he has never waivered off that point, me to be totally honest, I have never heard or seen RF-7's. Not saying they are good , bad or indifferent...........I HONESTLY DON"T KNOW...when my time came to buy Klipsch I wanted Heresy's, but the reality set in at the time, I couldn't AFFORD them......tried out a set of new KG4's.............and that is how and why I tend to support the Heritage Line..............Now I own both the KG'4s, and last March bought the new Heresy 2's I wanted................Like them alot.......must use sub with them, that's OK......played with a pair of BEC cross overed La Scala's..........Very Nice, Very good sounding speakers..but still have to have a set of Khorns.............It will happen when the time is right....or is that just the Natural progression up the ladder of speakers.............or should I just say,"What the Hell, and get a pair of Jubilee's"..............I don't really know what the answer will be...................That is the fun part I guess...........Damn Forum................[;)]

I can tell you this- Todd has top notch gear all around. So I think the RF7's would sound great with his setup. But dude, that room is VERY lively- you'd definitely need some room treatment before putting RF7's in there. imho.

Michael

I just noticed that M.If I were gonna audition 7's that's the kind of set up I'd want to hear em' on.As Carl said,they can be flustrating at first and that saves some headaches.

Thought you were a HERITAGE guy. I am

So are you unhappy with your CW sound? No, not at all...just bored again. I loved swapping them out and dreaming of another integrated tube amp purchase..seen the La Scala's on Ebay in Memphis?...I'm eyeballin those very heavily, right now.

M

Although my Scott 208 with Ultra max NOS VALVES mods is not tiresome in

the least and I will some day own VRDs; the dream Tube Integrated for

me would be BAT. Never heard one but the build qualtiy looks amazing

(BOOMAC seems very happy with his BAT separates).

As for speakers RF-7 are nice I can imagine DEANG mods to be

impressive. If LaScalas looks are not to your liking and you want to

stay 3 way, the Belle is a natural for a folded horn bass speaker;

Chorus II for non folded horn.

My Chorus IIs were a nice black speaker but long term visual beauty of

the walnut Belles is more like awesome music and outstanding furniture

combined.!

How far are you from <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />Knoxville?

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Ive got a Peach, Ive also got a dbx-120 (though its out of the system since it is SOOOO not needed with the Jubilees). That alone will help mimick most of your system? [:)]

You can come on by, bring some of your favorite music and have the keys to the system. If you want, Ill put the 120 back in so you can try it both ways. I also have a 5bx and a 14/10 plumbed into the tape loop. Oh, and wattage is provided by a Mc-2102 on top and a dbx BX-1 on the bottom.

Ive got a pair of LaScalas also, with Als es networks in them, stock drivers unless you want to patch a JBL-2404 into them & sit it on top. The bad news about the LaScalas is theyre downstairs and if you want to do an a/b with them next to the Jubilees, wed have to cart them upstairs (trust me, we dont want to do that).

I wonder how many more times Ill make blanket invitations before someone else gives it a whirl?

Good thing I'm not living on kickbacks for every person I persuade into giving them a listen [:o]

I get over to Knoxville from time to time. I'll take you up on it...

BS

I just plugged in an Earthquake Cinenova Grande 7 channel x 300 amp into my RF7's I have all around my HT. All I can say is wow! I am hearing musical notes that just weren't present before I plugged this baby in. The punch is staggering as well. This took a crane to get into my system but it's staying there for a long time. It has been one of the biggest improvements I have made, bar none.

The RF7's need the power no doubt about it.

Todd. You already know my thoughts. Definately audition some RF-7's before getting them. Your ears may be trained to like the heritage sound and The Reference series may or may not be for you.

I know nothing of Dean's mods other than the great reports I've heard of them.

You may want to let the forum members know what your ceiling is on cost as people are starting to throw some expensive ideas at you.

Yes, the Cornscala is a no brainer. However it's not really Klipsch and you may not want that.

Just by knowing you over conversation and kinda knowing what u like and don't like....I would put my money on your dissatisfaction with supped up La Scalas due to lack of bass. I have contemplated building La Scala II's but I know I would regret it later. Great sound just lacking some low end grunt. I couldn't listen to them w/o a subwoofer...and I hated that. As you know, I sold my La Scalas and Cornwalls after hearing Cornscalas...and it has been somewhat of a sickness since.

jc

In general, what do DeanG network mods do to the RF-7's?

BS

His modification seems to bring out the midrange and tame the horn.

Seemed like an alternative to swapping out amps to find the right sound and it sure did make a difference. Been so long ago I've forgotten how to describe exactly the difference I heard, although I have no regrets at all. They are now in a two channel setup being powered by a Sonograph 120w amp with a Denon receiver being the pre. I'm sure the tube sub helps a lot because of the modest amp.

Once I borrowed an old 250 or so watt Carver amp and it lit those speakers up! It's as if the RF7's were throwing the musical notes out at me at the same volume, if that makes sense to you.