Building backs on older (1989) K horns like the new 60th Anniversary ones.

IndyKlipschFan

Thanks.. breakfast with Santa is precious. Especially at 5 and 2 1/2.

I can definitely relate to that statement. I used to have several mall Santa photo operations. Little kids are cool. I appreciate what you have done with your Khorns here. If it may serve as a bit more support for your project, aside from the sound improvement you speak of: I just watched Cars today on my system which is similar to yours. The THX sound of that movie is amazing.

FYI: I spent an entire day with PWK back in 1985. My wife arranged for a private factory tour and I wrote a personal letter to PWK. He and Valerie treated my wife and I like royalty and he invited us into their home. I did a shot of fine scotch with PWK as he played some of his own recordings (reel to reel tape) for me. The false corner plans he published were exactly the ones he built for himself. His Khorns and Belle were in a great big living room which also contained two grand pianos (Bohsendorfer and Steinway). The 3-channel stereo was to the left of that. Those false corners were absolutely solid sounding. I had built some myself back in my old living room. He also recommended a rubber seal in the back. So PWK practiced what he preached, that's for sure. His personal recordings (Little Rock Symphony) sounded excellent as they were done with only twin spaced omni mikes, similar to the excellent Telarc recordings of the day.

Love stories like this as well.

I met Paul only 3 times. All before the company was sold to Fred. Fred is a nice guy, and a old neighbor of mine. Judy, his wife, is also a lovely person. If you ever spend time with them one on one, too, they let their guard down to who they are business wise. As I would like to say, "They are just good Indiana friendly people."

I hope, in some way, Paul might smile how successful Klipsch has become. I know he would be happy his K horn celebrated the 60th, and looks like with a strong foundation in my lifetime, it will still be here for a 100th anniversary version too.

I do not think I did anything he would frown on at all. (my mod) If it was not for the weight issue.. and some more hrs time to build this, I am sure he might have done or did this mod as well. The 60th just made that much a of a impact on me and solves the tightness perfect in the corner issue for me. People that have heard it say the same thing. We will see in 2007- 2008 if this mod takes foot in future K horns.. if so.. I just did it earlier than others probably will at this point!

Now the only thing were missing now, is a movable top to point it where it needs to be in any room the user can bolt down. I can toe them in some and they are great!

Looking at what DeanG did... WOW.. you could put those anywhere you wanted! In a corner or out in the room!

I just don't understand why Klipsch didn't make it a standard production practice if it really made the speakers perform that well in so many more rooms. They could have doubled or tripled their potential market. We see from this ebay sellers' anecdote that this may have been done 50 years ago.

Exactly. Now Roy Delgado is acting like any idiot should have known to do it. Someone here once speculated that it was PWK's patent that was the issue, because it called for the corner of the room to complete the horn. So the thinking went that if you drop the tight-in-the-corner aspect, the patent wouldn't apply. But the patent ran out years ago anyway, didn't it?

I just don't understand why Klipsch didn't make it a standard production practice if it really made the speakers perform that well in so many more rooms. They could have doubled or tripled their potential market. We see from this ebay sellers' anecdote that this may have been done 50 years ago.

simple. the khorns were as paul wanted them.....

roy delgado

Exactly. Now Roy Delgado is acting like any idiot should have known to do it. Someone here once speculated that it was PWK's patent that was the issue, because it called for the corner of the room to complete the horn. So the thinking went that if you drop the tight-in-the-corner aspect, the patent wouldn't apply. But the patent ran out years ago anyway, didn't it?

hehehehe. you guys kill me.......

the glass is always half empty........

roy delgado

roy delgado

Well, that's illuminating. Of course they were.

What I'm curious about is why he made the decision if he did know about this. Was it based on unacceptable performance when compared to the published "false" corner plans? Was it deemed too expensive to standardize into production - thereby limiting sales due to price elevation? Was he just being stubborn? Did he even hear the things with the backs built like this?

Maybe it'd be more relevant to say what your opinion of the issue is with current units. Surely you heard the 60th Ann. models with and without the enclosed rear in testing chambers and typical rooms with corners of various suitability before you approved production and sale of such an important model.

Or do the "60s" represent a speaker that Mr. Klipsch would not have wanted?

Is the glass half full or half empty? That is the queation. If I pour the contents into that smaller glass there, it will definately be full. But, if I use a larger glass, it will be less than half. Wait! I have an idea. Let's have a toast to PWK. Skoal!!!

Good questions Ben.

Rick

roy delgado

What I'm curious about is why he made the decision if he did know about this. Was it based on unacceptable performance when compared to the published "false" corner plans? Was it deemed too expensive to standardize into production - thereby limiting sales due to price elevation? Was he just being stubborn? Did he even hear the things with the backs built like this?

Maybe it'd be more relevant to say what your opinion of the issue is with current units. Surely you heard the 60th Ann. models with and without the enclosed rear in testing chambers and typical rooms with corners of various suitability before you approved production and sale of such an important model.

If you're looking for straight answers, that's the next department over. But everything you've asked can be inferred from available info.

roy delgado

gee!!! i don't know.....

roy delgado