Song most responsible for altering your sense of reality

Ray Garrison

For me? Just the fact that Led Zeppelin ever existed. Pick any one of the albums you want.

One rocks

Two rocks, but gets closer toward soul

Three is just amazing - it will always be in a class of its own! The genious of the artists is readily apparent by this album.

IV was vocal bliss - why Robert Plant was never dubbed over many tracks like that in subsequent efforts, I'll never know. It was just so novel and great.

Phys. Graff? How any band puts out a double album where every song is great.... Their greatness simply showed.

Houses? Probably my least favorite because I'm not much on Dancin' Days or D'yer Maker. But The Song Remains, The Rain Song, The Crunge, etc. are all great.

In Through the Out Door - Zep goes versatile. Who knows where they would have went from there?

They were such a great band. Life-changing for sure. I love the works of many, many other bands/artists - I mean many. But in terms of overall achievement, consistent greatness and uniqueness, Led Zeppelin is it.

I'd say the Beatles, but I was a bit too young for them to change my life.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderators

For me? Just the fact that Led Zeppelin ever existed. Pick any one of the albums you want.

One rocks

Two rocks, but gets closer toward soul

Three is just amazing - it will always be in a class of its own! The genious of the artists is readily apparent by this album.

IV was vocal bliss - why Robert Plant was never dubbed over many tracks like that in subsequent efforts, I'll never know. It was just so novel and great.

Phys. Graff? How any band puts out a double album where every song is great.... Their greatness simply showed.

Houses? Probably my least favorite because I'm not much on Dancin' Days or D'yer Maker. But The Song Remains, The Rain Song, The Crunge, etc. are all great.

In Through the Out Door - Zep goes versatile. Who knows where they would have went from there?

They were such a great band. Life-changing for sure. I love the works of many, many other bands/artists - I mean many. But in terms of overall achievement, consistent greatness and uniqueness, Led Zeppelin is it.

I'd say the Beatles, but I was a bit too young for them to change my life.

I Don't know how I can recall these silly things, but for our senior HS prom the hall was decorated to and the theme was Black Dog from Led Zeppelin.

It was an all boys school, that's probably why it was not a sappy slow dance song.

Jeff...............I think LED ZEP 3 was their best album, too. It covers it all, and talk about the BLUES, Since I've been Loving You, and my favorite, TANGERINE.....................What a Band, they had it all, and then some........................Houses of the Holy, was alittle too complex for me...

Don't laugh, but these two songs affected the direction of my life...

Don't Dream It (Be It), by Tim Curry in The Rocky Horror Picture Show. I took "Don't dream it, be it!" as my life motto and it's worked out pretty well so far.

Imagination's Real, by The Kinks. That song helped inspire me to return to motorcycle racing after a six-year layoff. To my surprise, but not my imagination's, I was actually faster the second time around. More mature? No, that couldn't have been it...

As for songs that take me to another place:

1983...(A Merman I Should Turn to Be), by Jimi Hendrix

Tarkus, by Emerson, Lake and Palmer (it's a whole album side, but it's not at all too long)

White Punks on Dope, by The Tubes. When you see the stage show that goes with it... First the stagehands assemble a really high stack of amps, then Quay Lewd (Fee Waybill as the glam-rock star in 14" platform boots) starts the song. Halfway through, he leans back against the amps, and they tumble down onto him until he's buried. Sirens go off, red lights flash, and scantily-clad nurses carry him off stage. He struggles back to his feet and resumes the song. The instrumental break in the middle is when this happens and it's a real driving refrain that is pretty exciting and stays in your mind. Yesterday on YouTube I saw Nina Hagen performing White Punks on Dope in German, although she calls it TV Glotzer. It still rocks, even without the stage show.

Hi Justin!

Yeah, I had one of
those. At the Exit/In in Nashville, about 1978. Mac Gayden
("Everlasting Love") and Skyboat layed a haunting 15 minute song, I can
still hear bits of and see in my mind. I've never known the
name. Something about the woods, with a plaintive flute. I
think it is on "Hymn to the Seeker".

i can't let this thread go on any longer without mentioning the greatest band of all time.......QUEEN! So many great songs. Saw them live in 1980. Incredible.

As much as I Love The Stones, QUEEN is the Greatest concert this old dawg has ever seen.............and I've seen alot of 'em, Damn they were good, no GREAT.....................

You might all think I am completely nuts but the songs that "move" me the most would be anything from the Little Mermaid soundtrack.

My son, (who is now 21, in the Marine corps and headed to Iraq) watched that movie over and over for nearly a year when he was young, cute and daddy's boy. Now he is grown up and decidedly nobodys boy and I miss that young cute kid sometimes (and I worry about him always)<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Take care Josh and God be with you

Back in '72 in high school my dorm mate bought a new stereo (nothing special) and two new records to play on it - John McLaughlin and the Mahavishnu Orchestra; The Inner Mounting Flame, and Birds of Fire. We listened to both of them all the way through and I haven't been the same since. As a guitar player listening to Led Zep, Black Sabbath, Mountain, Cream, Jef Beck, etc. I was used to hearing new songs and figuring them out quickly in my head. The McLaughlin songs were the first I had ever heard that not only could I not get the progressions and harmonies immediately - I could not even remember what I had heard after each song! Been my guitar and music hero since - these are classics and still sound more modern than what you can find today.

The other one that comes to mind is Rungren's 1975 Initiation, second side A Treatice on Cosmic Fire. Another classic that sounds modern for being over 30 years old..