The Day The Music Died

Tarheel

February 3, 1959....48 years ago today...Buddy Holly, Richie Valens, and the "Big Bopper", J.P. Richardson died in a plane crash. Herb Berkowittz, who lives in Wilmington, NC wrote a column in the opinions section of the Wilmington Star News today reminding us rock'n'rollers of that sad day. I will take the liberty to quote from Mr. Berkowitz to share with you his sentiments. "In the pre beatles era of rock-n-roll, Holly was one of three white boys who really, really mattered, and the only one who didn't live long enough to cash in on it. " Elvis went on to stardom and Roy Orbison had 2 number one hits."

"Of the hundreds who helped define rock-n-roll many are gone. (most recently James Brown and Thornton James Hudson). Only a handful of legitimate stars remain: Chuck Berry, Pat Boone, Jerry Lee Lewis and Little Richard."

The Crickets, Fireballs, and Bobby Vee will be back at the Surf Ballroom tonight (last venue prior to the plane crashing) along with the Cleftones, Dale Hawkins and barbara Lewis.

"Don McLean was only half right: Holly died that February weekend but his music lives on."

Thank you Mr. Berkowitz for remembering.

Tarheel

• Like 4

Hey OB, I thought about you while writing my post. I thought you might reply since you are probably the ultimate proponent of rock and roll music on the forum. If left in your hands R&R will never die....thats a given.

I had only been ten years old for about a month when these three pioneers met their untimely deaths and can't say I recall the event or the news coverage that followed. If you do...please write a few words about your recollections. I don't think I remember much about that time period other than baseball and BB guns....not even girls yet. Well.... maybe a little about girls[;)]

Don McLean's 1971 hit American Pie immortalized Holly, Valens, and the Big Bopper and was released at a time when my ear was closer to the music. It was a defining moment for a lot of us baby boomers. So many more artist were to follow and were remembered in the Righteous Brothers song R&R Heaven. I bet you can recall where you were when we got the news about Jim, Janice, and Jimmy.

BTW...Mr. Berkowitz collects phonographs as well as r&r records and memorabilia...I hope he returns my call...I would love to visit.

Tarheel

• 8 years later...

February 3, 1959....48 years ago today...Buddy Holly, Richie Valens, and the "Big Bopper", J.P. Richardson died in a plane crash. Herb Berkowittz, who lives in Wilmington, NC wrote a column in the opinions section of the Wilmington Star News today reminding us rock'n'rollers of that sad day. I will take the liberty to quote from Mr. Berkowitz to share with you his sentiments. "In the pre beatles era of rock-n-roll, Holly was one of three white boys who really, really mattered, and the only one who didn't live long enough to cash in on it. " Elvis went on to stardom and Roy Orbison had 2 number one hits."

"Of the hundreds who helped define rock-n-roll many are gone. (most recently James Brown and Thornton James Hudson). Only a handful of legitimate stars remain: Chuck Berry, Pat Boone, Jerry Lee Lewis and Little Richard."

The Crickets, Fireballs, and Bobby Vee will be back at the Surf Ballroom tonight (last venue prior to the plane crashing) along with the Cleftones, Dale Hawkins and barbara Lewis.

"Don McLean was only half right: Holly died that February weekend but his music lives on."

Tarheel

Actually, its been 58 years.  :)

• Like 1

Tarheel

It was 57 years ago today...http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/music/2016/02/03/the-day-the-music-died-57-year-anniversary-buddy-holly-richie-valens-big-bopper/79779780/

• Like 1

Tarheel

Yep...."old thread alert" I posted that in 2007.....nine years ago :)  It was written by the author a little earlier.

Edited by Tarheel

Growing up my dad was an auto mechanic that had a shop near downtown Jacksonville. He had a older guy...Tom...who was his go to transmission guy who ALWAYS had older R&R tapes playing from his toolbox radio.....but when Big Bopper and Chantilly Lace would play...no matter what he was doing he'd stop and sing that song and dance with whoever was near him.....most of the time it was me or one of my sisters or my mom.

Tom passed when I was probably 8-9 years old....dad sold the shop and started hauling cars all over the country....I'd join him for a week or two on the road any chance I got and remember the first time he put that old tape in the radio that Tom had left for him....

I still sing Chantilly Lace word for word anytime I hear it....and remember not knowing about how he had passed until I saw the movie Labamba with Lou Diamond Philips...awesome flick

• Like 4