Question for Bodcaw Boy (Roy)

ClaudeJ1

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

uh.....no.....paul saw the 402 and the 940 and the 941and the 150....

Okay, so he SAW it, but he didn't hear it. Did he say "You've got to be kidding!" when he SAW the thing? Or did he say, "That's perfect for my living room!"

Seriously, Mr. Cowboy, we both know that PWK would never have considered the 402 acceptable for a home Jubilee.

uh.....no.....paul saw the 402 and the 940 and the 941and the 150....

Okay, so he SAW it, but he didn't hear it. Did he say "You've got to be kidding!" when he SAW the thing? Or did he say, "That's perfect for my living room!"

Seriously, Mr. Cowboy, we both know that PWK would never have considered the 402 acceptable for a home Jubilee.

Not sure

where you get the PWK was a true blue aesthetics kind of guy.  Look at the

original Khorns...hardly home speakers by your criteria.  I am inclined to

believe PWK's speaker Holy Grail was in the performance not the appearance. 

I think the appearance was more for the

marketing types.

[Okay, so he SAW it, but he didn't hear it. Did he say "You've got to be kidding!" when he SAW the thing? Or did he say, "That's perfect for my living room!"

You seem 100% hung up on asthetics. I'm not saying thats bad, but maybe YOUR hangup on asthetics is a bit more anal than others? Pics I saw of your home show it to be beautiful, so your hangup has its benefits [Y]

You seem so resolute that PWK would not let any speaker be made that was not "perfect for a living room". What about the designer series? Weren't those unfinished? how do you explain that those were plug ugly? Sure, it was up to the customer to do something with them but doesn't it fall back to your comment that as they were CURRENTLY BUILT, they were plug ugly, unfinsished and totally unworthy of being shown in a home? Surely PWK would never consider that acceptable for a home Khorn?

So, in light of the designer series, maybe PWK did NOT have the asthetics hangup you seem to have? Maybe (and I don't profess to know his thoughts like you do, because I never met the man) he thought he was putting out the best SOUNDING speaker at the time, regardless of looks, and the customer could finish it as they pleased.

If that is a reasonable statement, then how is the Jubilee with the 402 on top, any different? Here you have their best SOUNDING offering, with an option to get a smaller horn. The customer can finish it as they please.

I personally think the fact that they made the plug ugly decorator series (I think that's what they called them?) totally blows any of your above comments down. It shows that they have historically built & delivered plug ugly speakers to WILLING buyers and it was up to those buyers to deal with the asthetics. Some did and some did not.

[:D]

post-15072-13819325695962_thumb.jpg

I brought that up before. Personally, I don't think Roy's Jubs are 'ugly'. An assault on the senses at first but they grow on you. Regardless of what you do, if you want that horn -- they're going to jump out and clobber you. It's possible that if you finish them and try to 'hide' the horns they might just end up looking gawdy. She has clean lines and the horn is bad azz. If you can't get your feminine side under control then don't buy them.

What I find so interesting (and somewhat troll'ish) is Parrot's continued vituperating of the speaker. Parrot doesn't like them? Fine by me. Parrot thinks they're plug ugly, sound crappy, gaudy, oversized, heavy, unfinished, (insert any other comments.......)? Fine by me. To continue the mantra though, diminishes the sensibilities of your comments as it really starts to sound like trolling and we all know that the Parrot would never try to get people all excited, would you?? [;)]<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

I wonder if Parrot ever thought hed be called a vituperator?

[:P]

What I find so interesting (and somewhat troll'ish) is Parrot's continued vituperating of the speaker. Parrot doesn't like them? Fine by me. Parrot thinks they're plug ugly, sound crappy, gaudy, oversized, heavy, unfinished, (insert any other comments.......)? Fine by me. To continue the mantra though, diminishes the sensibilities of your comments as it really starts to sound like trolling and we all know that the Parrot would never try to get people all excited, would you?? [;)]

<?XML:NAMESPACE PREFIX = O />

I wonder if Parrot ever thought hed be called a vituperator?

[:P]

Good God man you get quadruple word score for use of the word vituperator!

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

The decorator model of the Khorns looks great.

The essential design of the bass bin of the Jubilee looks good too. All it needs is veneer on front and grilles. Now the 402, that is another matter. Dean may be right, though, that with its kooky dimensions, covering it up might make it look even worse (if that's possible).

Somebody mentioned there was a covered-up 402 at Hope. Anybody have a picture of that?

Yes some of the early Khorns were ugly...He had no marketing guys back then...Just friends who helped him along the way.....Yes he had different cabinet styles Decorater unfinished...As well as some beautiful ...Mahogany finish,s...all had growing pains for looks. Just like the Jubilee...God its ugly!!! But I,m sure that will change....Some day some one will flash additional money under the companys nose & say "clean it up" heres the extra cash. Will I do that? "No" i,m in the sunset of my life. Its up to you young ones to press forward.

Somebody mentioned there was a covered-up 402 at Hope. Anybody have a picture of that?

I do not think we saw a (front) covered version while in Hope. What I think we saw, and perhaps, you saw discussed... was the 'case' (for lack of better word) that the 402 slides into. Sort of the cabinet for it.

Even at that, I think we saw the case EMPTY. As I recall, it had similar dimensions of the 402, but went back in sort of a triangle sort of way, rather than a square box.

I just looked on the website at their commercial offerings and didn't see anything that seemed to illustrate the box holding the 402. I'll just have to hope that my description helped. (and that my memory was accurate)

It's possible that the 2nd horn from the bottom has this box. It looks a bit more square than I remembered but then, I only glanced at it while in Hope. I happened to simply notice it as I was walking by and gave it no more thought than that.

post-15072-13819325715522_thumb.jpg

The decorator model of the Khorns look great.

The essential design of the bass bin of the Jubilee looks good too. All it needs is veneer on front and grilles. Now the 402, that is another matter. Dean may be right, though, that with its kooky dimensions, covering it up might make it look even worse (if that's possible).

The sceond is covered but haven't seen that one not sure what happened to it. I like the grills on the sides they look great.

masterpiece.jpg

http://picasaweb.google.com/iain42/AudioHistoryPics

Parrot.

There is an "enclosure" that I saw at Hope. I jokingly stated I snuck off the tour and took pictures of the new Khorn network but nobody bit into that joke. Sad thing is most probably think I really did do that.

Yes off to the side where they assembled the khorn there was an enclosure for the K402. It basically is something you would bolt the horn to....thus the reason for the holes around the K402. You would still have an exposed front but you could easily make a grill.

jc

I jokingly stated I snuck off the tour and took pictures of the new Khorn network but nobody bit into that joke. Sad thing is most probably think I really did do that.

Probably didn't help anyone believe you when they saw you being handcuffed by security...

[;)]

The box robs you of an important feature -- the ability to adjust the bracket so you can point the horn down into the area where you are sitting. This is critical for me -- I have to have that. If not, the horn/driver would be shooting three feet over my head.