Klipsch bashing - why?

mizedog

I'm new to this forum and I AM a Klipsch fan and bought a few Synergy products 7 years ago.

Question: Why do I read so much Klipsch bashing on the internet-direct forums (yet most pro-reviews are positive)?

My situation:

I'm in the process of planning a new home theater (13'x18') and would love to have some new RF82s and a large center. But, due to the small room (and kids), I want a speaker I can put closer to the screen-wall. Unfortunately, the only front-ported Klipsch are the Synergies. While they're great for the money, I want Reference this time.

What I've read on those sites:

"Klipsch's are harsh due to the horns, build quality isn't up to the others."

I just demoed a pair of RF82s and thought they were warm yet clear - NOT harsh.

What I want from this forum:

Reassuance that Klipsch is the way to go and that I can put the rear-ported RF82s 8-10 inches from the wall and my old SS-1 surrounds will do ok with the RF'82s (I also have a SC--1 and a SW-12 but will only keep the sub). Also note: I'm a life-long musician (guitar, bass, vocals) who's played in churches to regular bar gigging all the way to opening for Offspring. I grew up on PA systems with big fat horns and loved my 6 foot tall bass amp (had two horns).

With respect, any thoughts? What can I do for my small room?

Thanks,

Kurt

I don't know the answer to your specific question as i've never heard the new reference line.

As for Klipsch in general, the speakers they made 20, 30, even 40 years ago are still highly sought. That speaks tons to me.

Welcome to the forum!

As long as you will be matching the Klipsch speakers with quality equipment they will sound great! If you use cheap equipment it will sound bad.

I have heard other high dollar speakers and some sounded very nice some did not. The ones that were horn loaded and had quality equipment driving them sounded better than all the others. I like the live sound horns gives the music.

As far as why other bash Klipsch? They may have had cheap equipment with the Klipsch. They may not like the live sound horns can give.

What matters is what you like and from your post you sound like you like horns.

mizedog: Your 13' x 18' room is actually 2-1/2 feet wider than mine and a foot shorter (10 1/2' x 19'). I have RF7s and an RC7 with a 78" screen up front in my tiny theater and it sounds killer, so I would not hesitate to recommend the RF82s for your room. -Glenn

post-10177-13819325770046_thumb.jpg

• Klipsch Employees

I'm new to this forum and I AM a Klipsch fan and bought a few Synergy products 7 years ago.

Question: Why do I read so much Klipsch bashing on the internet-direct forums (yet most pro-reviews are positive)?

My situation:

I'm in the process of planning a new home theater (13'x18') and would love to have some new RF82s and a large center. But, due to the small room (and kids), I want a speaker I can put closer to the screen-wall. Unfortunately, the only front-ported Klipsch are the Synergies. While they're great for the money, I want Reference this time.

What I've read on those sites:

"Klipsch's are harsh due to the horns, build quality isn't up to the others."

I just demoed a pair of RF82s and thought they were warm yet clear - NOT harsh.

What I want from this forum:

Reassuance that Klipsch is the way to go and that I can put the rear-ported RF82s 8-10 inches from the wall and my old SS-1 surrounds will do ok with the RF'82s (I also have a SC--1 and a SW-12 but will only keep the sub). Also note: I'm a life-long musician (guitar, bass, vocals) who's played in churches to regular bar gigging all the way to opening for Offspring. I grew up on PA systems with big fat horns and loved my 6 foot tall bass amp (had two horns).

With respect, any thoughts? What can I do for my small room?

Thanks,

Kurt

First, Welcome!<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

To take a poke at this, I would start by saying that we take the bashing in stride. We have a good group of people that take pride in what they build. If you don't believe me, just watch a employee get the chance to introduce some new to klipsch.

If you are hearing the bashing from the internet-direct forums, you many not have a very good source.

You wanted "Reassuance that Klipsch is the way to go and that I can put the rear-ported RF82s 8-10 inches from the wall (Yes, that should work fine.) and my old SS-1 surrounds will do ok with the RF'82s (Yes, you can use them, however they will not keep up as a larger speakers would. If you listen at the talk over the movie levels, then you will be fine.)

(I also have a SC--1 and a SW-12 but will only keep the sub).(The SW subs were not built to deal with the LFE in todays movies. You may find that you overdrive the sub.) Also note: I'm a life-long musician (guitar, bass, vocals) who's played in churches to regular bar gigging all the way to opening for Offspring. I grew up on PA systems with big fat horns and loved my 6 foot tall bass amp (had two horns)." (This is why you will enjoy the Klipsch sound.)

mizedog: Your 13' x 18' room is actually 2-1/2 feet wider than mine and a foot shorter (10 1/2' x 19'). I have RF7s and an RC7 with a 78" screen up front in my tiny theater and it sounds killer, so I would not hesitate to recommend the RF82s for your room. -Glenn

Picky that room is amazing !

I just ignor the bashings, I just write it off as they don't know what they are talking about, or possibly heard Klipsch speakers not properly setup to enjoy it's sound. Real Klipsch users know how good Klipsch really are! Sometimes there is a bunch of fud on the internet and you can't really take them seriously because how can you really validate it? I just enjoy my Klipsch and ignor the bashings. :)

Internet forums are for the most part useless. People repating what they heard from a poster prior to them paaing it on to a new poster. There are some on the Klipsch boards who have listened correctly to many speakers, done lots of testing and can give you real information. You have to remember 95% of the people don't know how to even AB a speaker setup. It is just part and parcel of the audio world.

As long as you will be matching the Klipsch speakers with quality equipment they will sound great! If you use cheap equipment it will sound bad.

I have heard other high dollar speakers and some sounded very nice some did not. The ones that were horn loaded and had quality equipment driving them sounded better than all the others. I like the live sound horns gives the music.

As far as why other bash Klipsch? They may have had cheap equipment with the Klipsch.

Agree with many statements above.

Some people do not like dynamics. Most of us need dynamics.

My analogy is the people who do not like Klipsch are those that choose to sit halfway back in the balcony to hear the orchestra.

Me?

I prefer to sit with my legs dangling over the lip of the orchestra pit.

As far as why other bash Klipsch? They may have had cheap equipment with the Klipsch.

Agree with many statements above.

Some people do not like dynamics. Most of us need dynamics.

My analogy is the people who do not like Klipsch are those that choose to sit halfway back in the balcony to hear the orchestra.

Me?

I prefer to sit with my legs dangling over the lip of the orchestra pit.

.......I prefer to sit with my legs dangling over the lip of the orchestra pit.......

Flynn, ............Well said.

I have the rf-82s and I only have them sitting maybe 6" off the wall and they sound great. Rule of thumb from what Ive read is if you have a 4" port, you want them atleast 4" off the wall. I heard all the negative's when I started shopping for a home theater. I have never regretted the decision to buy Klipsch. I am 100% happy.

Hello, I'm new here as well. The bashers are correct. Klipschhorns can be harsh. Klipschhorns only give you what you put in them. If your source is harsh then the KHorns respond accordingly. If the sound seems overly bright to you then a change needs to be made other than the speakers. Replace the DVD/CD player, Amp, Cables, Lousy recording, Phonograph needle anything but the Klipschhorns!

The more I listen to my Klipsch, the more I realize the sky is the limit when it comes to quality sound reproduction through my Klipsch.

Take My Life But Don't Take My Klipsch! [:P]

Klipsch are super revealing and deadly accurate in true sound reproduction. If thats what you are after, welcome to the madness. If you want muddy "warm" sounding speakers that colour the sound then there are many options available.

Source, as in recorded material is the most important factor in how Klipsch sound. If one has a poorly recorded disc it will sound like the poorly recorded material that it is but if it is well done, omg...you are in for some sonic bliss baby.

Enjoy and welcome...we all know which way you are going....this way to Indy...home of Klipsch.