sad khorn setup

seti

It looks nice like that and I like the wood grain on this pair. But how would this setup differ from having backs attached? What if they had backs attached and were nestled in like that? I guess I don't understand the concept of attaching backs when the speaker was designed to use the whole wall.

It looks nice like that and I like the wood grain on this pair. But how would this setup differ from having backs attached? What if they had backs attached and were nestled in like that? I guess I don't understand the concept of attaching backs when the speaker was designed to use the whole wall.

The problem with this installation is that he has covered the openings for the basshorn. The black material at the sides of your Khorn covers the opening to the horn. If you cover it with a thick wooden surround you seriously diminish its output.....

I have seen some dumb set ups before, but this one takes the cake.

My anecdote is when I purchased my K-Horns that were on consignment at the local high end store. I had heard K-Horns before and was quite familar with what they could do when placed in corners etc.

At this store no corners were available and the two cabinats were also oddly positioned relative to each other. So it was imposible to properly hear the lower octaves and sterophonic imaging was also pretty much nil. On top of this, the cabinets were a raw birch (C-style) that had seen some storage time in a garage or barn. Consequenty they had some sractches and chips. All odds were against these speakers being sold. In fact they had been on the floor for several months with a sticker price of $1000. They really did not sound very good the way they were set up (in spite of the Krell amps and fancy pre-amp & CD player etc). It was understandable why no one had purchased them. Thankfully I had heard K-Horns prior to that experience.

Anyhow I was able to audition them to make sure all the drivers were working and that the cabinets were structurally sound.

I got them for a steal and they even include delievery. The chips and scratches are still there, although I gingerly sanded them and applied some Watco. I set them in the corners and the sound was glorious. Ten years later I am still happy, although there is this nagging voice that is whispering, "Jubilee, Jubilee"

The biggest lesson I learned is that a few scratches and chips on the cabinets really do not diminish the sonics. Fancy that ....

Good Luck,

-Tom

Note at the floor how they (in a minor sense) boxed the speaker in with the molding. I wonder if the molding slips around the sides or if it is in fact nailed down.

Another question I've got is...once they get rid of the Khorns, exactly what are they going to do with the monster sized HOLES in the cabinet on each side?

Be a great place for the kids to play hide/seek.

post-15072-13819326418146_thumb.jpg

Another question I've got is...once they get rid of the Khorns, exactly what are they going to do with the monster sized HOLES in the cabinet on each side?

The big Bozaks would fit in there pretty well. Probably sound pretty good too.

Or they could stack about 53 Bose jewel cubes on each side.

"Another question I've got is...once they get rid of the Khorns, exactly what are they going to do with the monster sized HOLES in the cabinet on each side? "

Three Cornwalls stacked on their side..

I could not handle living next to a neighbor having to draw a picture of explanation on any non-technical situation that arises. Example: when it rains you get wet, when it's cold you wear a jacket, if the window is dirty you will not be able to see out of it, if you can't see in the dark turn on a light, plug in the tv or it won't turn on, etc.

JJK