Chomping at the bit . . .

Allan Songer

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

except for that resisitor far left that must have fallen out of the final assembly...

seriousl, that is some beautiful craftsmanship, wonder how they sound!

I'm sure they'll sound nothing short of stellar. Craigs amps are the best I've heard yet, clairity and sound dynamics are beyond comprehension.

"He just needs to hear one of those Mr. T amps like you have."

...only if he has a smaller room, sits within 12 feet of the speakers, and stays within the lower portion of the amps power range -- say first watt or two. At those levels, there is more clarity/transparency than the VRDs (or any other tube amp I've heard), and dynamics are on par with any amp I've heard. I've been very clear regarding the limitations of the low powered tripath amps, and I suspect most around here would immediately push them into the range where they sound nothing short of terrible.

Not a clue whether this is a delusional or coherent comment.

I'm not the one that said a 60 wpc tube amp has dynamics beyond comprehension. If you want clarity and dynamics in spades at the expense of some of that rich and airy quality a good tube amp brings to the table -- then buy one of the QSC powerlight amps, which will dust a pair of VRD's in those categories.

Heh, heh, heh....................Dean's on a roll this morning.

Well, since I own VRDs and one of those QSC things, I guess that I just have to break down a buy a Super T to round out the trifecta. [:o][H][;)]

BTW, I have heard a number of tube and solid state amps of various designs and have yet to hear the "perfect" amp for all listeners and all listeners' preferences. Its all about preferences and compromise.

Congrats, Allan. Looks incredible, and I bet it sounds just as good.

Carl.

I have been in the UK for the past 11 days. I haven't spent more than 10 hours with the new amp and haven't even hooked up the TT to it yet. And none of this listening time has been in any way focused or "critical."

I should have something to say in the next 2-3 weeks.

But I have to tell you guys, I really like what I've been hearing.

BTW, I have heard a number of tube and solid state amps of various designs and have yet to hear the "perfect" amp for all listeners and all listeners' preferences. Its all about preferences and compromise.

... add recordings to that list.

We used to talk a lot around here about having more than one amp around -- still not a bad idea for a multitude of reasons. It's not impossible to like two things equally but for different reasons. Sometimes listening habits change, and you find something that works better for you than the thing you've been using -- but it doesn't dimish the quality of the thing you left behind. Erik catches a lot crap on this forum, and I don't always agree with him either, but one thing I do agree with him on is the idea that there are a lot of different ways to enjoy music -- and there's absolutely nothing wrong with exploring them.

Craigs amps are the best I've heard yet, clairity and sound dynamics are beyond comprehension.

Wow, maybe I should buy a pair!

I think you need to hear more amps.

I am quite happy, no very happy with my VRD's thus far, but that is not to say I wouldn't listen or consider something else... So on that note, what would your worldly ears suggest? What amps have you listened to, that you would consider being hands down better than the VRD's?

I know you owned a pair, but did you ever get the opportunity to listened to Craigs VRDs with a decent set of tubes, or at least being powered with a nominal voltage magnitude, i.e. something closer to 115 or120VAC, as opposed to 130VAC?

Your comments or insinuations are the first negative comments I've heard with regards to Craig's VRD's. Or was it my choice of non-audiophile wording?

If by "decent" you mean $1200 worth of Genelex, then no -- I never got to hear them with something like that. I did have them on the Furman with new tubes before I sold them. My comments weren't a rub on the VRD's, but on your characterization of their sound. I just thought it was funny that of all the words available to describe their sound, you chose those two -- words normally reserved for quality solid state. Now, as for recommending something "hands down better than the VRD's" -- that would depend on how you define "better". There may not be anything "better", or there may be quite a few things "better" -- depending on what you want from your sound.

I'm not the one that said a 60 wpc tube amp has dynamics beyond comprehension. If you want clarity and dynamics in spades at the expense of some of that rich and airy quality a good tube amp brings to the table -- then buy one of the QSC powerlight amps, which will dust a pair of VRD's in those categories.

Wouldn't 'clarity' and 'airy' go hand in hand? My mind is telling me that if there's super clarity, that can translate to 'air'. Am I wrong? I want to understand this.

Craigs amps are the best I've heard yet, clairity and sound dynamics are beyond comprehension.

Wow, maybe I should buy a pair!

I think you need to hear more amps.

Not a clue whether this is a delusional or coherent comment.

Hmm, mind if I use that last line as my signature?