OT Southern BBQ Ribs

seti

Well I cleaned up the Smoker for the Fathers Day cookout and man was it a good one. I fixed a Brisket that was too big for one rack so I cut it in two and put it on 2 racks. Then later 3 racks of ribs with a dry rub, beer can chicken and finally smoked sausage. I used Jack Daniels wood chips and about 8 hours later a feast was had by all. The hard part drinking only half a beer for the chicken stand at 9am.

Did anyone ever venture to this site and list serve? At times the discussions would get heated and I think that is why the finally went down. But there is still some good info there.

http://www.bbq-porch.org/list.asp

Well I cleaned up the Smoker for the Fathers Day cookout and man was it a good one. I fixed a Brisket that was too big for one rack so I cut it in two and put it on 2 racks. Then later 3 racks of ribs with a dry rub, beer can chicken and finally smoked sausage. I used Jack Daniels wood chips and about 8 hours later a feast was had by all. The hard part drinking only half a beer for the chicken stand at 9am.

Did anyone ever venture to this site and list serve? At times the discussions would get heated and I think that is why the finally went down. But there is still some good info there.

http://www.bbq-porch.org/list.asp

Good site.

Here is what they said about my favorite.

Sim's

Reviewer's comments: The original Sims, on 13th Street, is the best barbecue place I've
ever eaten at (and I've eaten a bunch of barbecue). It's also Clinton's favorite and, no
matter what your opinions of politics or character might be, you have to admit he knows
his food. This is a very unusual mustard-based sauce. Beef and pork available. Both
are great, but the sliced pork sandwich is the best.

Reviewer's Comments: The neighborhood may be rough (better go to the location
at 1307 Barrow Road after dark) but the barbecue is little short of perfection.
Sliced pork is available but the ribs are the ticket. The ribs are small, chopped
with a cleaver, and served with a tangy, sweetish, mustard based sauce. For the
truly adventurous a rib sandwich is available. Squeeze bottles of hot sauce are on
the tables. The lunch crowd ranges from neighbors in this African-American
neighborhood to suits from the business district. The location on 33d is a couple
blocks west of Arch Street Pike, south of downtown Little Rock. The Barrow Road
location is best reached by taking the Barrow Road exit south off I-630 about 1/2
mile.

I go there often on Friday nights without issues.

The Beer can chicken is AWESOME!!!!! We even did a turkey with one of those Foster's oil can beers. It is great at keeping them birds moist.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Reactivated................ for football season.

Saturday Georgia plays Georgia Southern and I can't decide what to grill for Georgia's first game. Georgia is also debuting a new bulldog (UGA-VII I think) as the last UGA died during the off season.

Not sure if I want something kind of quick like Brats or sausages / burgers and dogs............or an all out weekend smoke athon and do some butts and ribs.

I went to a barbeque last weekend and had some fantastic grilled brats which I hadn't had in a couple of years. Just an awesome treat.

What are you thinking about for weekend's cookout?

They had an amazing funeral service for the UGA that died. They showed portions of it on TV and I couldn't believe the lengths they went to and the VIP attendees. Maybe my question is answered and I should grill some gourmet hot dogs this weekend.

Normally I'd be grillin ribs this weekend, ribs on the 4th and labor day are kind of atradition in our house. Unfortuneately I got food poisioning at BWI yesterday and all I can keep down is soup.Ick!Angry

I report restauraunts that food poison me to the Health Department. Then they get inspected :)

• 4 weeks later...

Seti is the man!

Met Seti and Tony Reed at the Cross Eyed Pig for lunch in Little Rock. The ribs were excellent.

Seti even picked up the tab! Tony and I tried to talk him out of it, but hey, we didn't want to refuse his hospitality!

Thanks Iain! That was a real treat for BBQ and Klipsch Heritage talk.

http://www.crosseyedpig.com/Cross-Eyed_Pig_Home.html

Seti is the man!

Met Seti and Tony Reed at the Cross Eyed Pig for lunch in Little Rock. The ribs were excellent.

Seti even picked up the tab! Tony and I tried to talk him out of it, but hey, we didn't want to refuse his hospitality!

Thanks Iain! That was a real treat for BBQ and Klipsch Heritage talk.

http://www.crosseyedpig.com/Cross-Eyed_Pig_Home.html

Thanks it was great seeing you guys again. The ribs were pretty good.

Have to "get up" with Dee and the gang again in March for another trip to a real BBQ place!!! Nothing left here in Okeechobee that even comes close to "southern BBQ". Last place went out of business couple months ago.

Simm's is still the BBQ King here in Arkansas. I have practically quite buying and smoking my own ribs. Per slab I can buy them at Simm's cheaper than I can buy ribs, charcoal, and wood chips.

I'll agree on Simm's!!! Lookin' good for possibly Christmas with family and hopefully the March trip to Hope with my son. He really liked the Simm's BBQ chicken!! 10 year olds love chicken, in any form.... Just about got him to eat other meat, but he still insists on chicken whenever he can get it.

BTW, What's around Hope in the way of BBQ places?