Direct TV & HD "update"

Coytee

I had an issue with my DTV HD receiver so I called them yesterday. During the chat on how to manually reboot it (so it would force the download of their software update) I found out the following...

They have recently put a new bird in the sky. Somewhere in September they are supposed to bring it on line and doing so, will add 70 HD channels. Within a year, they are supposed to add ANOTHER 70 HD channels.

If you have a HD box, you will need to have a "BBC" (B-Band Converter). This is a little 2x4 inch item with a coax pigtail on it. Cable comes out of the wall, into this pigtail and then into your receiver.

If you do NOT have this BBC connected when the new bird comes online, you will NOT get the new channels. You should have had one of these included with your HD receiver but if you did not, you can get one for free from DTV, just call them and when prompted say "b-band". You can also order one online (like I did) but prior to doing so, you must know your account number.

You can go online here http://directv.com/DTVAPP/global/contentPage.jsp?assetId=P4310204 and scroll down to the BB converter.

I have been waiting for this since they only having 7 HD channels it was certainly not worth the extra montly payment and HD box. Once they have the HD channels available then I will call them to set up and I get the newest HD receiver for free to boot.

I had an issue with my DTV HD receiver so I called them yesterday. During the chat on how to manually reboot it (so it would force the download of their software update) I found out the following...

They have recently put a new bird in the sky. Somewhere in September they are supposed to bring it on line and doing so, will add 70 HD channels. Within a year, they are supposed to add ANOTHER 70 HD channels.

If you have a HD box, you will need to have a "BBC" (B-Band Converter). This is a little 2x4 inch item with a coax pigtail on it. Cable comes out of the wall, into this pigtail and then into your receiver.

If you do NOT have this BBC connected when the new bird comes online, you will NOT get the new channels. You should have had one of these included with your HD receiver but if you did not, you can get one for free from DTV, just call them and when prompted say "b-band". You can also order one online (like I did) but prior to doing so, you must know your account number.

You can go online here http://directv.com/DTVAPP/global/contentPage.jsp?assetId=P4310204 and scroll down to the BB converter.

but you have to have the receiver to accept it, the older boxes won't work with the adapter.

We have Dish network. They have around 30 HD stations right now, with similar plans to what Direct TV has announced. This is what my dealer told me. The HD on Dish is excellent but it is on a satellite that is low in the sky (129). I had to cut down 4 trees. I guess that's why they are talking a new bird. technical issues. The 119 and 110 are easy to see.

We must have over 200 channels total and I watch about 4 of them. [:D]

I like the DTV satellite.... except when there is a big thunderstorm (or a hurricane....) it does not work very well - actually does not work at all..... FM tuner is the only thing that works out here under those conditions. We don't even get the regular antenna broadcast TV channels very well. Cable? Forget it; very rural, Adelphia does not want to string the cable unless more people want it. Other than those minor issues, we've had DTV-HD for a year and it works quite well. Both receivers have the "b-band" pigtail (DTV even gave me a spare...), and the antenna array is embedded in a concrete slab. It had no issues with the hurricanes, so that reduces the maintenance. Gotta clean the bird sh*t off every couple months.

I ordered a replacement for my two year old HR10-250 DVR and 3 LNB dish on Wednesday.

My new 5 LNB dish, BBC and HR20 HD DVR will be installed tommorow. Total cost: $19.95 shipping. No contract and no increase in monthly bill, but soon to be many more HD channels.

DTV said I could do whatever I wanted with the "old " DVR, so I plan to put it up on Ebay. Looks like they are selling for $100 or more there. That'll offset my cost and give me a few bucks to buy a couple new SACD's. [:)]

Yup, gotta brand new HR-20 HD-DVR sitting on the living room floor still in it's box (and yes it does include the B-band converter dongles - two of them, since this is a dual-tuner unit), awaiting somebody to come out and install a new 5-LNB dish. They actually sent somebody out on the 1st, but it seems they neglected to tell me about it, thus I was not home. So now, I have to wait until the 22nd before somebody comes out. Was damn tempted to return the thing and get Dish instead. Their excuse for why it is taking so long to get anybody out (used to be maybe a two-three day, at most wait) is because it seems everybody is upgrading their service around here to take advantage of these supposed new HD channels. I wonder what kind of programming they'll have for 70-odd HD channels. Would not be surprised if a bunch of it is worthless tripe that is not worth watching (although I bet it'll look pretty in HD, though [:P]).

Well, this sucks...

Received my "new" HR20-700 via FedEx today. While removing it from the box, I heard something rattling around loose inside the DVR [:'(]. I also noted that the shipping box indicated that it contained a "reconditioned" unit, not a new one. They didn't tell me I'd be getting a refurbished unit when I ordered it. I looked at the bottom of the unit to see if I could take it apart and remove the loose component, but I didn't see any screws. I decided to just leave it alone and call DTV. I talked to a rep for a few minutes, then got cut off when she put me on hold. I called back and told my whole story to another rep. She tried to get in touch with the local company that was doing my install. They thought maybe the installer could "stop at his office and pick up a replacement DVR" before he got to my house. Naturally, the installer wouldn't answer his phone,so I had to wait for him to arrive and hope he had one with him. At least I didn't get cut off while I was on hold this time, so maybe my luck is changing. for the better...

About 30 minutes later, the installer arrived. I asked if his office had contacted him and he said they had not. I told him about the rattle and he asked if I wanted him to plug it in and try it anyway to see if it worked. I told him no, I wanted a replacement unit. He said I'd have to call DTV again and order the replacement.

Fortunately, he was able to install the new "5 LNB" dish and have it work with my "old" box until the replacement DVR arrives. At least I won't need to take more time off work to get the install finished. I'll be able to replace the box and get it activated myself.

Another 40 minute call to DTV and I THINK they finally understood what the problem was and agreed to send me a replacement unit. When I asked the rep if they could send me a new unit instead of a refurbished one, she said I'd have to pay $299 if I wanted a new one. I told her to just send me another refurbished one ($19.95 shipping), credit my first shipping charge, and pay for the return of the defective unit. During our conversation, she also mentioned that there would be a $300 charge if I canceled the service during the first two years; they did not tell me that when I placed the original order two days ago either.[:@]

I guess I should consider myself lucky that I can at least watch TV this weekend. Maybe I'll call them again after everything is working and try to get a few months of free HBO or something for the inconvenience...[:)]

• 3 weeks later...

I like the DTV satellite.... except when there is a big thunderstorm (or a hurricane....) it does not work very well - actually does not work at all..... FM tuner is the only thing that works out here under those conditions. We don't even get the regular antenna broadcast TV channels very well. Cable? Forget it; very rural, Adelphia does not want to string the cable unless more people want it. Other than those minor issues, we've had DTV-HD for a year and it works quite well. Both receivers have the "b-band" pigtail (DTV even gave me a spare...), and the antenna array is embedded in a concrete slab. It had no issues with the hurricanes, so that reduces the maintenance. Gotta clean the bird sh*t off every couple months.

I have had Dish Network for many years. My father has DTV & I was almost convinced of switching to DTV also since they had some local channels in HD (and Dish doesn't) but then I found out that you can't record the music channels on DTV like you can on Dish. Not only can you record all the digital quality music on Dish, but you can also back it up (rewind) and start recording at the beginning of a song that you hear come on that you like. You can't do that with DTV. That was the biggest deal breaker for me.

Depends on how you have it hooked:

In how I do it here, the DTV signal goes to the Esoteric Sound Super Connector (ESSC); and from there goes to the amps (either #1, #2, or #3, or all, etc.) These amps (Sansui AU-11000's) only see a standard 150mv analog signal on their tape circuit. If I want to recrord that signal, I simply use tape-1 to tape-2 copy on one of the amps (in this case it's the center LaScala's 11000) and off it goes to the TASCAM CC-222-III unit. I can record either CD or cassette as desired. The trick is to get the "music" into analog mode with the amp(s), then send it over.

Hope that helps.

I hate f'n DTV!

I hate them too... but the Dish Net boys are just as bad, and cable out here in the swamp is worse.... So it's a pragmatic decision. Or disconnect and see two TV channels out of West Palm Beach (78 miles as the crows fly) with the fuzzy lines (and that's with a 30' ROAN antenna tower that every time we get a hurricane gets "bent"...). Gotta' do whatcha' gotta' do in this case.

"PhilMays"I hate f'n DTV!

Why?

I am really thinking about going Direct TV.

I have Charter and they are so lame. I use them for Hi speed and cable. In 2 years I have had only one trouble with Hi speed, but it is an everyday problem with cable. Missing channels, have to reset the DVR every couple of days. I have taken off from work to meet them and they never show up.

I was thinking just using Charter for Hi speed and Direct TV for tv watching. I may watch tv once a week if I'm here by myself, more now that football season has started and baseball playoffs are in site.

Just reading this thread if you had it to do over again would you guys have stayed with cable or gone Direct TV.

Thanks

Danny

I have had Dish
Network for many years. My father has DTV & I was almost convinced
of switching to DTV also since they had some local channels in HD (and
Dish doesn't) but then I found out that you can't record the music
channels on DTV like you can on Dish. Not only can you record all the
digital quality music on Dish, but you can also back it up (rewind) and
start recording at the beginning of a song that you hear come on that
you like. You can't do that with DTV. That was the biggest deal breaker
for me.

Depends on how you have it hooked:

In how I do it here, the DTV signal goes to the Esoteric Sound Super Connector (ESSC); and from there goes to the amps (either #1, #2, or #3, or all, etc.) These amps (Sansui AU-11000's) only see a standard 150mv analog signal on their tape circuit. If I want to recrord that signal, I simply use tape-1 to tape-2 copy on one of the amps (in this case it's the center LaScala's 11000) and off it goes to the TASCAM CC-222-III unit. I can record either CD or cassette as desired. The trick is to get the "music" into analog mode with the amp(s), then send it over.

Hope that helps.

What I was referring to was the ability to record digital music from DirectTV's music channels to a DVR unit.
It is because of the "buffering" feature of a DVR unit that you can pause and rewind a live TV broadcast. Most DVR's can backtrack (rewind) up to an hour.
With DirectTV this feature is totally blocked out for the music channels, but functions perfectly with Dish Network.
Here's an example of how I use this feature with Dish: With a satellite digital music channel playing, a song comes on that I really like so I grab the remote,
back-up (rewind) the song to just before it starts and then record it onto the hard drive of the DVR unit.
From there I can listen it anytime I want or copy it to another media source.
You cannot do this with Direct TV. Whenever you are tuned to a digital music channel on Direct TV the record, pause & rewind features not functional.
I can only assume that this is a music licensing / copyright thing why this feature is blocked.
DirectTV uses "XM" satellite music and Dish uses "Sirrius".
I just wanted to clarify that to anyone who would be upset about the lack of that feature of DirectTV before they sign a 2 year contract.
My father did, and he's not happy about it, and I almost made the same mistake.
As I said before, that was a deal breaker for me.

Hope this information is useful to someone.

What I was referring to was the ability to record digital music from DirectTV's music channels to a DVR unit. It is because of the "buffering" feature of a DVR unit that you can pause and rewind a live TV broadcast. Most DVR's can backtrack (rewind) up to an hour. With DirectTV this feature is totally locked out for the music channels, but functions perfectly with Dish Network. Whenever you are tuned to a digital music channel on Direct TV the record, pause & rewind features not functional. I can only assume that this is a music licensing / copyright thing why this feature is blocked.

DirectTV uses "XM" satellite music and Dish uses "Sirrius". I just wanted to clarify that to anyone who would be upset about the lack of that feature of DirectTV before they sign a 2 year contract.

Interesting!! I see what the problem is. I'm probably not running into problems for two reasons; first is because the signal is being treated as an analog signal (my choice... sounds fine to me...), and the CCC-222 has an auto "track separator" that senses the source drop below a certain threshold and simply goes to the next track when the threshold comes back. Took me forever to get it right, but when I get finished with a CD, I just go back and slect the tracks I want to keep, etc. I use more CD's, but the only other option for me is, unless I'm really quick and have paused the unit at the end of a song off XM, I can easily lose the first second off the front end. When I'm doing that, I use the "fader" feature so it's not really noticeable. But I can see where you would get really upset by not being able to record digitally straight out via the DVR. There is another possibility for you; does your TV have an "out" set of jacks or an "out" HDMI slot? You could try running the DVR from those instead of the direct off the back of the DTV receiver. That might help because it might strip that coding?

What I was referring to was the ability to record digital music from DirectTV's music channels to a DVR unit. It is because of the "buffering" feature of a DVR unit that you can pause and rewind a live TV broadcast. Most DVR's can backtrack (rewind) up to an hour. With DirectTV this feature is totally locked out for the music channels, but functions perfectly with Dish Network. Whenever you are tuned to a digital music channel on Direct TV the record, pause & rewind features not functional. I can only assume that this is a music licensing / copyright thing why this feature is blocked.

DirectTV uses "XM" satellite music and Dish uses "Sirrius". I just wanted to clarify that to anyone who would be upset about the lack of that feature of DirectTV before they sign a 2 year contract.

Interesting!! I see what the problem is. I'm probably not running into problems for two reasons; first is because the signal is being treated as an analog signal (my choice... sounds fine to me...), and the CCC-222 has an auto "track separator" that senses the source drop below a certain threshold and simply goes to the next track when the threshold comes back. Took me forever to get it right, but when I get finished with a CD, I just go back and slect the tracks I want to keep, etc. I use more CD's, but the only other option for me is, unless I'm really quick and have paused the unit at the end of a song off XM, I can easily lose the first second off the front end. When I'm doing that, I use the "fader" feature so it's not really noticeable. But I can see where you would get really upset by not being able to record digitally straight out via the DVR. There is another possibility for you; does your TV have an "out" set of jacks or an "out" HDMI slot? You could try running the DVR from those instead of the direct off the back of the DTV receiver. That might help because it might strip that coding?

In both my case with Dish, and my father's with Direct, the DVR is built into the proprietary HD satellite receiver as one unit, so that wouldn't work.

I just think that "XM" is really strict about how their music is being used (or recorded).

With just the standard satellite receiver installation, the DirectTV digital XM music is only going to operate like a standard radio. The user has no control over it whatsoever.

This is where Dish beats Direct hands down. I just hope that Dish & Sirrius doesn't do the same thing as XM in the future.

Whoops, maybe I shouldn't had said anything, I hope there aren't any Dish or Sirrius people on the forum here.