My newly veneered Decorator Heresys Ambrosia Maple

whamo

Hey all, Just figured I'd post a quick picture of my first veneer job. Here's the Decorators I got from Doug ("tuned4life"). I used the Titebond II method with an iron. They came out pretty good. Right now I'm waiting for the linseed oil to dry before I poly them or whatever I'm going to do. I'm not sure yet. The camera is cheesy and doesn't really do these justice. The grain starts at the top of the speakers and is lined up with the front and bottom. In retrospect I wish I had mirror imaged them instead of having the grains match perfectly. They're still keepers though. Thanx to Greg Roberts for the nice pictorial and the rest of the forum who I used to make this project successful. Mark

post-17845-13819354162842_thumb.jpg

The veneer came from certainlywood.com. It's Ambrosia Maple. It has holes in it caused by the Ambrosia Beetle which also creates all the wild colors in there. It's inexpensive too $.99 a square foot. I didn't want to spend alot on my first attempt and wreck it but I also wanted something unique as well. Thanx, Mark

Very Nice! Please post the finished results.

I'm not sure I'll ever post my first veneering attempt from 20+ years ago... [:$] - the contact cement and pray method...

I'll have to start taking some notes and collecting info from all the great information posted here for when I get up enough courage to try again.

Aside from the crack top to bottom on the side(s) and maybe top and or bottom, it looked OK - I suspect my enclosures and veneer weren't in the same environment long enough? I used cherry sheets large enough I didn't have to make any splices... not sure it wasn't more than $1 a square foot then, and definitely not as distinctive.

Reminds me of the lamps my uncle used to make from wood he found walking his woods in northern Wisconsin - a fungus or something turned the wood green in places, really quite stunning and definitely very interesting.

Great looking work. The titebond II method is really easy to use as long as things go well. I've now done 2 Belles and a huge set of double bass bin Cornscala-type speakers. Those were Cherry, bass bins were 48x24x24, very large. I've had very little trouble with bubbling or delam, but it's always an adventure getting the joints to stay tight. The unbacked veneer from Certainly Wood is good to work with because it's thicker than backed veneer and can be sanded and worked