Need Advice on Entering the Tube World

youngjj

With two kids in college and one getting married soon, I should probably not even be asking, but...

Last year I moved up from Heresys (bought new unfinished) to Choruses (used OW beauties). To power them I went with the HK 630, then later the 730. I usually labor over purchases for a long while. Now is my time to start planning for a move to tubes. However, I need to walk before I run. Money is definitely an object (of concern). What advice can any of you give? Please don't get too technical with specs. My knowledge is limited, but I have been around a little. It was almost thirty years ago when I graduated from Small Advents to the Heresys. When Forum members write about the quality of '70's audio equipment, I remember, because I was there! Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

[*-)]

About a year ago I took a first dive into tubes. From the information I gathered from this forum I chose to keep my eyes peeled for an HH Scott 299 integrated amp. I was lucky enough to find one (299D) in good condition for $200.00. I used it for a short time before I had it looked at by a tech in my area who was an authorized Scott service tech back in the 60's and 70's, until Scott folded. He replaced a few capacitors and put a few new tubes in and gave it a clean bill of health. I am using it right now in my main system. I alternate between it and my McIntosh MC-2105 C-26 combo. I really enjoy the Scott. It seems to me that technology has come a long way, but , even though the Scott is from the early 60's it does it for me. Great sound is great sound. I suppose in a few years or so I will venture into a more expensive tube realm, but, I am satisfied for now. I think that a Scott would be a good starter for a small price.

Tom

I have had vintage and new production tube gear and I must say that I prefer new production tube gear. I wouldn't go vintage unless your handy with a soldering iron or have a great local tech or get something that has been thoroughly rebuilt.

There is alot of tube gear for sale on audiogon vintage and new production. http://buy0.audiogon.com/cgia/fsb.pl?intatube&1&ctg&st1 There is a nice rebuilt Eico HF81 posted right now. The is something for every price range. If you go that route be sure to google for reviews for what your looking at as this has saved me a number of times. You can also buy and sell on audiogon until you find an system that suites your likes and needs.

Good luck and have fun

My first tube amp was a Scott 299 rebuilt by Craig (NOS Valves) which i still have and use. Since then i have gotten in really deep water, but i will not get rid of the Scott 299, it has a tonal quality about it that i just love. I don't think you can go wrong with one of these.

Jay

My first tube amp was a Scott 299 rebuilt by Craig. An integrated amp like the Scott or a receiver like the Fisher 500C or 500B are good options. The option is sort of pricey if you buy the original unit and pay for the restoration. Let someone else take the hit on that. There are folks around who have one of these for sale that has been recently restored. These units should be attainable at more reasonable prices.

There are some used current manufactured units around too. I don't have any experience with those, though.

I was going to ask the same type of question! After I purchased my La Scala II's and reading all the information on Tubes in this forum, I have been looking for something instead of my Denon PMA700 for 2 channel listening. I have been looking for a Scott 299, there was one on E-bay last week, rebuilt but the reserve was 500+ I thought that was kinda high, are is it. I know nothing about tubes and I don't know anyone that can work on them. A friend just gave me a Sansui 500a he found at an estate sale, he didn't want it. There is not much info in this forum about them, or on the web. Does anyone know anything about Sansui's? is it safe to connect it to my La Scala's without having someone check it out first? Is it worth even messing with it? From what I have read on this form I think I would rather have a Scott 299. I'm so confused[*-)]

Fantastic responses!  Thanks to all.  I will be looking out for your recommended amps.  Newer used models versus rebuilt vintage is an intriguing question.

Newer models will most likely give you less troubles IMO. I love vintage but it is like an old classic car they have their individual strengths and quirks. If you can work on them yourself they are great. I just bought a hakko soldering iron and am starting to work on small things just so I can fix my own tube gear if necessary. If I get good enough at soldering and don't see the electric blue jesus I'll get some vintage gear again. There are so many types of tubes and tube amps out there to listen to so try as many as can and keep what you really like. HAVE FUN.

I A friend just gave me a Sansui 500a he found at an estate sale, he didn't want it. There is not much info in this forum about them, or on the web. Does anyone know anything about Sansui's? is it safe to connect it to my La Scala's without having someone check it out first? Is it worth even messing with it? From what I have read on this form I think I would rather have a Scott 299. I'm so confusedConfused

It pays to be cautious around tube gear you don't know anything about. Sansui's are highly thought of and fully reconditioned will probably sound very good.

Here's what I would do in your place. First I would twist all the knobs back and forth a couple of dozen times because they will probably be very noisy after all this time. Second, remove the top cover and pull out each tube and replace in exact same spot. Look for cracked tubes or tubes that are frosty. Pull out the fuse and if it's broken then stop right there because something is obviously wrong. Look closely at the capapcitors (metal tube thingies) to see if the ends have swelled or if they are leaking brown stuff.Then find the cheapest speakers you have in your house, old computers speakers small bookshelves etc. and wire them up so you have a load on the amp. Set the volume fairly low and then turn it on. If it's a receiver set it to FM and hook up an antenna or piece of wire to the antenna connection.

Flip the switch and watch carefully as the tubes warm up. If you see a red glow around the edges of any of the plates (the tall metal strips inside the glass) particularly on the larger power tubes, turn it off. Same goes with any smoke or large crackling sounds. After a few minutes put your hand gently on the transformers, which are large metal blocks. If the transformers are not covered with a metal box do not do this. If they are very hot turn it off.

Dial in a station and see how it sounds.

A variac is often used ot bring up old gear slowly but if something is going to blow I doubt if a variac will save the day.

For safety sake do not leave room while this machine is on ever. This stuff is old and should be reconditioned. Craig (Nosvalves) is the best at this but you can probably also find a local tech to work on it. I've several old amps that have played fine for months and months without problems but they could go out at any minute. 50 year old electronics like 50 year old bodies are subject to failure.

Here's a link providing some info on your Sansui:

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/archive/index.php/t-5214.html

Listen to what this guy is saying. I bought a Dynaco ST-70. Fantastic, wonderful amp. Now, after an additional $1K that I put into it replacing old parts. I thought I was getting a deal on a $300 amplifier but these old amps always have something that needs to be replaced. Unless you can solder think buying new. There are plenty of options in the under $1,000 range that should suffice. If you can't solder you can still buy used equipment that is just a few years old that you can ship to a tech but vintage is a whole nother animal. But if you can solder, or have someone around who can help you figure it out, the best deals are easily in vintage and kit equipment.

I have never seen those amps before.  They look like they could be a lot of fun.  Wow.  A little too rich for my blood at the moment unfortunately.

Those went for a little more than I expected.

How do you like the bottlehead amps? I am thinking about trying the single ended eXperimenters amp.

Thebes's advice is spot on...except IMO if you ever buy any vintage tube amp, you should NOT power it up under any circumstances unless it has already been repaired/restored/modified by a qualified tube amp technician first, period! The reason being any 30+ year old tube amp may very well have blown resistors, leaky caps, and a solenium rectifier just waiting to catch on fire! If you plug in and power up any unrestored tube amp, it's a crap shoot whether it'll work or not anyway (although most do...to a degree). But why take the chance in having that beautiful Scott, Pilot, EICO, or Fisher tube amp possibly go up in smoke, just because you're excited and wanna hear how it sounds first?

I don't believe in using variacs and slowly bringing up an amp just to see whether it'll operate properly or not, especially if it's been sitting around unused for years! Old tube amps behave differently than older solid-state amps and special care has to be observed or a possible fire can flare up (and I've witnessed first hand a solenium rectifier catching fire as soon as my first Zenith tube radio warmed up...I quickly learned my lesson afterwards)!

Buying any vintage tube amplifier is exciting, and even more so after hearing one driving your Klipsch (i.e. my bro's '60s Magnavox single-ended 6BQ5 console amp that was upgraded by its previous owner...driving my dad's Cornwalls was a revelation in sonics we never experienced before with SS amps). I know how excited one can be when first receiving a classic EICO or Scott tube amp and wanting to power it up right away to hear what others always talk about (that glorious tube warmth)...but if the amp hasn't been restored or at least touched-up by a qualified tech, then you could get lucky and never experience a problem...or the amp could very well crap out or worse-case catch on fire! To me it's just not worth it to be impatient. Have it looked at first by a tech before trying it out...it'll definately last longer and you'll enjoy it for many more years to come.

Just my two cents...

I bought a Scott 299 on Ebay for $300 that was supposed to be touched up by a tech. I'm not very knowledgable about tube gear so didn't even power it up before I sent it to Craig @ NOS Valves. It cost around $400 for the deluxe rebuild. The total of $700 is a very small price to pay for a tube amp with a very good phono stage imho. I couldn't be happier.