Crown XTi 1000 review from the expert!

runandwin

i think the crown xti's sound awesome. how's that for a short review ( i am not an expert and i didn't sleep at a holiday inn last night).

take care,

roy

roy,

you have though, had lunch with two ducks at Amigo Juan's!

Those are expert credentials for sure!

hey DD,

you know why i was pouting in the picture you took? i thought you said we were having duck for lunch at Amigo (i love duck!!). but it turned out to be i was having lunch WITH ducks........ Indifferent

take care,

roy

now that made me laugh!

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dee,

I have always let a low level signal run though it over night never tried it without music playing but I suspect it really doesn't matter one way or the other, When I'm working in the shop they play at normal listen levels. On new amps I usually let them burn in for 3 or 4 days mostly to weed out infant mortality of the tubes or passive components....... I go down to the shop every few hours and check things out like bias and so on if I'm not working down there or sleeping.

You have to realize with vintage gear I may replace some 40 or 50 components in an amp but 100 or more resistors are still original and most likely benefit from a good warm up to dissipate all the moisture they have taken on. So this break-in is probably a two fold thing with them. The new parts burn-in with full voltage applied and the old originals being shocked back into life. You would be amazed at the moisture that bubbles out of an old AB carbon resistor if an over current condition exists. Lots of moisture builds up in these vintage AB carbon resistors when not in use.

Craig

Nice Wendy, you could have just posted the pic with the POS sign for me[;)]

Just ribbin' the crowd a little. I would think for bottom end on a bi-amp situation the XTi would be a fine amp. This whole XTi thing reminds me of auto audio where noisy amps are not good for your highs and mids (never heard a Fosgate thumper that I liked on the top end yet) and it might be why the XTi is sold as a pro gear amp and not specifically for home rigs[:|]

Take it from our expert, she even knows you need the right tool for the job[:o]

Now, the world don't move to the beat of just one drum,
What might be right for you, may not be right for some.
A man is born, he's a man of means.
Then along come two, they got nothing but their jeans.

But they got, Diff'rent Strokes.
It takes, Diff'rent Strokes.
It takes, Diff'rent Strokes to move the world.

Everybody's got a special kind of story
Everybody finds a way to shine,
It don't matter that you got not alot
So what,
They'll have theirs, and you'll have yours, and I'll have mine.
And together we'll be fine....

Because it takes, Diff'rent Strokes to move the world.
Yes it does.
It takes, Diff'rent Strokes to move the world.

"Wutch U Talkin' Bout JB?"

I am agast. How does a SS device break in? Do the molecules reset themselves for maximum performance? Are there nano machines manipulating the molecules for better performance? How do they tell the difference between good performance and bad performance? Do you bake the amplifier in an oven at 350 degrees for an hour? What happens if it is overdone? I was unaware that SS amplifier designers had circumnavigated the laws of physics.

JJK

I'm glad to see that you are available as a well of knowledge for all of us to drink from. FWIW I am agast at your combination of ignorace and arrogance.

Hi Wendy,

You sure don't pull any punches gal. I warned JC ahead of time but he still got it.

The Crown XTI is not an audiophile solution for home use. No no. I gave it every benefit of the doubt in endless listening tests that went nowhere. However, I think it is a good amp and DSP section for its intended use which is for DJs and portable sound reinforcement. It has good power. It is also a very good tool for tweaking a bi-amped speaker setup to find optimum settings. It has a great SW interface in the Harmon PC SW too. However, it is easily exposed at home as you found out.....and it hisses like a wild cat. I never heard an amplifier make that much noise before.

I'm glad someone finally spoke up and said it in plain english. I agree with you 110%.

Now what will you do with it? Big Smile

When I use an XTI with my JM Peach, it sounds like, well............crap.

However, if I use XTI's in a bi-amp configuration with the Peach, or any other of my preamps(Marantz, Denon) it sounds simply awesome.

I suspect the XTI-Macintosh combination mirrors the XTI-Peach combo.

Solid state components are generally "burned-in" as part of a QA process. They need to be at operating temperature to sound their best in your home which involves anywhere from 1 to 20 minutes (for certain amplifiers.) Break-in? Nope - not. Your cables won't get any better either and anyone claiming they require break-in to sound better is, surrendering to psycho-acoustics and would likely surmise an alarm clock could make their system better as well.

Microsoft should jump in on this solid state "break-in" thing with a new commercial.

"Tech support?"

"Yes, my computer keeps crashing. You suck."

"No, sir, your system is fantastic. Have you allowed the computer to break-in yet? No, ok, just leave it running and it will start performing better."

Microsoft. What do you want to believe today?

I have no comments regarding analog components.

However, if I use XTI's in a bi-amp configuration with the Peach, or any other of my preamps(Marantz, Denon) it sounds simply awesome.

(bold added by me)

Can you explain that a bit more? I'm reading that to mean when you use the Xti with your Peach, it sounds like crap yet when you use the amp in biamp configuration (does that mean you're using two of them?), with the Peach, it sounds awesome.

It sounds like crap and awesome with the same preamp?

btw, I'm not picking on anything here, I've got a couple Crown amps, not Xti's though... and also a Peach. Just looking for some clarification on what you're saying. I'm a techno-dummy type.

tigerwoodkhorns:

I have this large bridge in New York for sale but it has to be "broken in" so the price is reduced for a quick sale.

JJK

Why am I answering a troll? I'm not sure.

Anyway,

Read my original post.

"I have never heard this amp and am not for or against it, but I was going to say the same thing. Doesn't it need a little break in time? I really don't know. My QSC sounded awesome from day one and that is the only brand new amp that I have bought."

I then mentioned that SS does need time to warm up from a cold start. Get this, my system sounds harsh in the winter when I first turn it on, but in the summer it sounds pretty good right from the start. Hard to believe huh? In most of the country its still fairly cold right now, isn't it?

I have had other electronics change (a little) over time from when they were brand new, like an upsampler on an AH! CD player.

I think that the real problem here is that any moron that can type their initials and hand out insults can create an account.

This is my last post on this topic.

(bold added by me)

Can you explain that a bit more? I'm reading that to mean when you use the Xti with your Peach, it sounds like crap yet when you use the amp in biamp configuration (does that mean you're using two of them?), with the Peach, it sounds awesome.

It sounds like crap and awesome with the same preamp?

btw, I'm not picking on anything here, I've got a couple Crown amps, not Xti's though... and also a Peach. Just looking for some clarification on what you're saying. I'm a techno-dummy type.

No problem, Coytee.[:D]

Using the Peach with an XTI-2000.......not bi-amped.........the sound to my ears is very "forgettable".

Using a Marantz 3600 preamp with an XTI-2000........not bi-amped..........the sound is good but nothing to brag about.

Using a Denon 3805 receiver/preamp with XTI-2000.........not bi-amped........the sound is good but nothing to brag about.

Now, with the above preamps used with two XTI-2000's in a Fool's biamp configuration........they all sound awesome........especially the Peach!!

I know that quite a few guys don't beleive in the Fool's bi-amping "tweak"............all I can say is I've gone back and forth so many times and I always go back to this method. It sounds to me like it may only be scratching the surface of "true" bi-amping...........and if I had the equipment and the know-how, I'd do it in a heartbeat. Nothing scientific to back it up, just my two ears...........matters the most in my book.[:D]

I think that the real problem here is that any moron that can type their initials and hand out insults can create an account.

Great! JJ has been around here for quite some time and never stomped on anyone as best I can recall. I think he made a serious comment that deserved a little more of a serious answer. You have a bad day or something?

Great! JJ has been around here for quite some time and never stomped on anyone as best I can recall. I think he made a serious comment that deserved a little more of a serious answer. You have a bad day or something?

Marvel, maybe I missed something here, but talking about a bridge is not exactly serious.

Wutch U Talkin' Bout JB?"

I think the man owns a Crown !!!!!!!!!!

Hey Bucky...........Gary Coleman!!!!!!!!!Wink

I believe Phillip Drummond also enjoyed Crown Amps.

Yes, I remember Phillip and Willis arguing about a hissing noise.