Crown XTi 1000 review from the expert!

runandwin

Hey Guys and Gals,

I know it has been a while since my last post, so for those of you that don't remember me...I am the lucky wife of JC. JC came home from the hospital tonight and invited me downstairs to listen to a few songs. He threw in a Jack Johnson CD, and at first I was thinking about how nice it is to listen to Jack sing, but before he can even make it to the chorus I'm thinking..."man, I wish he would hook everything back up to the old amp, because this amp is making a fuzzy mess of one of my favorite songs...the cymbals aren't crisp at all, really just an irritating distraction and the bass is horrible." JC says, "the bass on this song is always a little fuzzy, so let's try this one", and he puts in some Keb Mo. Again, the same disappointing result. So...I felt inspired to present my review in picture form. Now don't take it too hard if you are a Crown supporter, but if I were you I would buy the kind of crown that goes in a glass and spend your money on a different amp. Speaking of crown that goes in a glass...I think I'll have some [;)]

Wendy

post-27587-13819366884662_thumb.jpg

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pretty funny... I'm not terribly picky about booze, though I do have my preferences. I would, however, rather be sober in a room full of inlaws than drink pretty much any Canadian whisky. That being said, I would rather drink a quart of warm Crown Royal in the morning than revisit any of the Crown amps I've heard in a non-PA setting.

I have no opinion on tennis shoes.

Talk about not what I was expecting here....

I anticipated a complete rebuttal of Mark's non-assessment and a hundred technical reasons as to why what we all surmized from the technical stuff was off-base.

Lovely surprise.

If only all audio reviews could be this simple.....

Hey Guys and Gals,

I know it has been a while since my last post, so for those of you that don't remember me...I am the lucky wife of JC. JC came home from the hospital tonight and invited me downstairs to listen to a few songs. He threw in a Jack Johnson CD, and at first I was thinking about how nice it is to listen to Jack sing, but before he can even make it to the chorus I'm thinking..."man, I wish he would hook everything back up to the old amp, because this amp is making a fuzzy mess of one of my favorite songs...the cymbals aren't crisp at all, really just an irritating distraction and the bass is horrible." JC says, "the bass on this song is always a little fuzzy, so let's try this one", and he puts in some Keb Mo. Again, the same disappointing result. So...I felt inspired to present my review in picture form. Now don't take it too hard if you are a Crown supporter, but if I were you I would buy the kind of crown that goes in a glass and spend your money on a different amp. Speaking of crown that goes in a glass...I think I'll have some Wink

Wendy

So Wendster,

What do you really think?[st] You go girl![H]

tc

Hi Wendy,

You sure don't pull any punches gal. I warned JC ahead of time but he still got it.

The Crown XTI is not an audiophile solution for home use. No no. I gave it every benefit of the doubt in endless listening tests that went nowhere. However, I think it is a good amp and DSP section for its intended use which is for DJs and portable sound reinforcement. It has good power. It is also a very good tool for tweaking a bi-amped speaker setup to find optimum settings. It has a great SW interface in the Harmon PC SW too. However, it is easily exposed at home as you found out.....and it hisses like a wild cat. I never heard an amplifier make that much noise before.

I'm glad someone finally spoke up and said it in plain english. I agree with you 110%.

Now what will you do with it? [:D]

Nice job Wendy, you have more cajones then half of the men on this forum.

Thing is if half the men on this forum came out so bluntly negative about this amp they would of been pummeled for it by those that rave about how great it is.

Craig