The Gallery

Ok, it's a cheesy way to use this thread I started in error. Here's an initial shot of the Colter Photography Gallery which will now be used for a 2channel listening/testing room. No TV allowed. That's 1" real plaster walls and ceiling in the 1950 house, 3/4" Brazilian Cherry floors (1.8x denser than red oak), wool carpets and plenty of nice seating.

post-10755-13819367404328_thumb.jpg

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Some further notes on the room. I now have the speakers in better order. From left to right they are:

KBWO - H OO cane - CW III blk - Jamo D830 - H III ch - Syn F2 - spare ~~~ H OO cane - CW III blk - Jamo D830 - H III ch - Syn F2 - spare - KBWO

I arranged them this way instead of symmetrical in pairs so that the sound stage would be the same width between each pair. The Jamo C830 were also called the Concert 8 and were the European speaker of the year in 1997. Spectacular sound. I have the Khorns hooked up to speakers A on the Sansui and speaker B outlet is routed to a Niles switch box with volume controls (the Colter Comparator from early experimentation with Doc). The Comparator sits on the Left CW III and is wired with variety of dual bananas, single bananas, spade lugs for connection to anything that walks by. Note that although there are 6 pairs of speakers, I have reserved one set of wires so we can hook up anything else for a quick A/B comparison.

I still need to remove excess Klipsch inventory from the wall far left so the sofa can be moved back a bit. The room is 15x23 approximately so seating nearly against the back wall gives a good soundstage for the Khorns. Ceilings are 8', and the L:W ratio is 1.533, so very close to the golden ratio. I'll check dimensions tonight.

Hmmm now where to put the Jubilees?

M

Really nice room Michael! I love the floors and the spider-backed chairs in particular.

Is your plan to eventually keep just one pair of speakers in there? Two pair max? It would look much nicer that way me thinks (but what do I know?).

Thanks Gary, I put the floors in myself. There is $3,000 worth of cherry on that floor. The furniture is a mix of inheirited family pieces, some refinished antiques, and some I had custom built (like the spider-backed chairs). The Gallery was for selling my photo services, so it was my 'girly' room in all soft colors and comfy furniture. It was intended to look upscale but homey.

The stuff in the middle will go so there is just one WALL-O-Klipsch. It's not so much for me but for demoing product. I may end up being the only guy in the US with all the new Heritage one day. And I definitely want to keep it up through the Pilgrimage so we can do some comparisons just for fun.

You see that wall? The wall opposite is completely filled with speakers up to about 4 feet high. Some older like KP250's in oak, some new in box like Trey's Rock, outdoor subs etc. And the Anni-K's are still neatly stacked in their original cartons.

Maybe I could become a dealer?

I need to get the workshop built.

M

Nice room, Michael! I love the floor. Now you just need some color on those walls Smile

why THANK YOU AMY!

But that IS a color it's 'champagne tint'. The idea was to let the art stand out and lot of it is black and white. (you're looking at the color wall). But you'd like the two bedrooms - mine is deep green and the rock poster/Warhol room is lavender. Now THERE's some color for ya!

I'll take a 'tidied up' pix tonight. More floor will show. I know it is kinda busy in there but that's the way I like it. Do you know how long it took to make the wiring harness for 2 in-12 out of that Niles selector? It's all color coded too so you know which speaker is on which channel.

You're welcome on the Bolin, Kaiser. Thanks for the reminder, I need to get my check out.

I'm debating whether to move the LP storage unit from about 30 feet down the hall into that room. That's a lot of vinyl to move.

• Moderators

Very nice looking, glad you kept most of the photo's, I wish I had your eye for composition, and lighting. You can have 100 people take a pic of the same subject and it is clear which ones stand out, and yours did.

Ok now about speakers, was that the Jamo 830 I listened to in that room, they were about a foot tall and on stands I think ? They sounded VERY good, I would think most people on the forum would never believe that kind of sound could be produced from something that size.

If you were to arrange the room with just 3 or 4 pairs split between the 2 corners I would bet people would never guess it was the Jamo's playing.

How do you move the bigger stuff around, like the giant boxes that almost made Jay have heart failure over " he was actually hugging them ", ask Doc it's true.

The room does look nice, bet it sounds good also.

Really nice room Michael! I love the floors and the spider-backed chairs in particular.

Is your plan to eventually keep just one pair of speakers in there? Two pair max? It would look much nicer that way me thinks (but what do I know?).

I was thinking liquidate and buy one pair of Jub's and one pair of P39's. The Jubs go in the corner so the P39's can go in the room's neutral zone. Great music available and those beautiful floors can be seen.

• Moderators

I was thinking liquidate and buy one pair of Jub's and one pair of P39's. The Jubs go in the corner so the P39's can go in the room's neutral zone. Great music available and those beautiful floors can be seen.

Never going to happen, the liquidate part at least !