Who here uses a pro amp to drive his speakers ?

TheEAR

But to suggest that these whimpy pro amps are in any way "better" than good SS audio amps is simply false at every conceivable level - technically, sonically, or any other way.

I don't know that anybody on this forum ever said that they are "better"...........rather a good alternative because of the price/performance.

........"Whimpy pro amps" ?Surprise

I use the term "whimpy" to describe the XTi which is the exact term I picked up on another "pro audio forum, where the real pros were laughing like hell about the "whimpyness" of the XTi. I just followed their terminology. Again, just try to get 1400W out of that thing, and then report back!

Big Smile

I did..........and the display said "Get a good tube amp with some balls!!"[;)]

But seriously.......in my listening room with four RF-7's.......the opposite of "whimpy" comes to mind.[:D]

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Bob Damato: Heck... he's BUILT his own amps, he can do whatever he wants (retired EE and has MAYBE 3 posts on forum?)"

If you had ever met Bob, you would rephrase that to "Can and WILL do whatever he wants."

I dunno what he is using for amplication or his Jubilees currently. I emailed him the other day about some audio gear I scored, and he did say he was working/tweaking on the Jubs.

You've conversed with Bob enough to know his preference for tube amplication with respect to his Jubilees. I wouldn't doubt he's still using the EV DX-38 with the pair of Mac MC-275's, but not certain about that.

Bottom line is pro amps get a bad rep from fluff lovers. Prejudice based on hoopla and ignorance. The main negative is the fan noise.I am talking quality pro amps here ...Crown iTech ,QSC PowerLight...and company. Not Behringer EP2500 amps or another budget amp where part quality has to suffer and design is around cutting corners due to price target.

So far I am impressed with pro amps. And I have some audiophile and even purist amps,the quality pro amps can hold their own in SQ and far surpass the home amps in output.

[8-|] let me close the bunker door...the storm is comming.

Bottom line is pro amps get a bad rep from fluff lovers

I'm shitfaced right now..........gonna go let my pro-amps and stack of subs rip my face off...........Klipsch always comes through whatever the occasion[Y

I love my Klipsch man...........[:D]

SWL. #%$&faced and posting at 1:45 am. Were you pounding some Godsmack on those RF-7's...or did you get to the point of listening to Pantera or Slayer? That is where I wrapped things up last night.

jc

Completely true. We agree totally on that. Not everyone is an audiophile and cares about sound quality. Some people just want a bigass stereo to play loud as hell so they can hear it over the nailgun, or chainsaw they are running.

That's it... a Crank It Up Contest for home stereo. Sign me up![:D]

Don

Honk if you love Horns

Bottom line is pro amps get a bad rep from fluff lovers. Prejudice based on hoopla and ignorance. The main negative is the fan noise.

So far I am impressed with pro amps. And I have some audiophile and even purist amps,the quality pro amps can hold their own in SQ and far surpass the home amps in output.

FACT.

Even the low price Crown XLS have great specs. I have measured them myself on the AP. Fan noise can be dealt with with a little ingenuity and modification to slow the fan down - you're not in a club using the amp balls to the wall for hours on end.

Prejudice based on hoopla and ignorance.

That bears repeating.

Bottom line is pro amps get a bad rep from fluff lovers

I'm shitfaced right now..........gonna go let my pro-amps and stack of subs rip my face off...........Klipsch always comes through whatever the occasion[Y

I love my Klipsch man...........Big Smile

let um ripp[Y][8o|]

FACT.

Even the low price Crown XLS have great specs. I have measured them myself on the AP. Fan noise can be dealt with with a little ingenuity and modification to slow the fan down - you're not in a club using the amp balls to the wall for hours on end.

Prejudice based on hoopla and ignorance.

That bears repeating.

Yeooouch, Andy ...

I would never say the XLS ...

issa Great sounding Amp ..

and Spec's ..

well ... maybe ..

don't have a lot to do with Critical Listening ...

not that I'm ..that kinda guy ..[;)]

jus' check my Signature line ...[:)]

I am no longer worthy of the snoot club ! [:o]

That is fine,I am mostly into electronica ...where the refined tube amp is out of place. And no I do not listen a break neck SPL and never try to cover the noise produced by my big framing Skilsaw. I play loud to piss those around me and to scare the rodents out of my place. [:D]

Thos with 7W and 15W purist tube amps are funny people....WAIT I have 15W OTL's...never mind I said nothing. [:S]

Bottom line is pro amps get a bad rep from fluff lovers. Prejudice based on hoopla and ignorance. The main negative is the fan noise.I am talking quality pro amps here ...Crown iTech ,QSC PowerLight...and company. Not Behringer EP2500 amps or another budget amp where part quality has to suffer and design is  around cutting corners due to price target.

Geeked  let me close the bunker door...the storm is comming.

Really REALLY strange statement from a guy with Tenor amp$.

Been using Crown amps for 30 years and MacroTech's for about 20 years.

KP-115's & Heresy's - MA-2400 using 115's x-over to feed Heresy's

LSI-BG - MA-600 & DC300A in a bi-amp configuration

EAW FR-253's, SB180's &JBL2405's - MA3600vz's, MA2400 & D150A in tri-amp & sub configuration

[|-)]

• 2 weeks later...

Using this QSC allows mw to hear all the instruments at very low volume. The fan is being kept in a drawer in case I ever need it or someone else wants to use it when I pass this amp on.

For the money a pro amp seems like a winner to me.

I use the Panaflows in my QSC's also. You've got to have your ear right next to the amp to hear them. It's a great mod. I've got 3 done and one more to go. As far as the XLS amps go, they're a great bang for the buck amp. To me, they sound good up till you hit about 9/10'ths. Then they get a little harsh. The PLX2's never get that way.