THE BEST (value) KLIPSCH SPEAKER OF ALL TIME (drum roll.......)

dkalsi

Big Smile

"At SPL's exceeding 110db, the mids start to chew your legs off "

I really like those technical terms I can understand ! Yes

Elden,

IB a technican. Educated at the University of Arkansas, and keep my diploma on the dash of my car. That way I can use handicap parking.[8-)]

tc

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm with you guys on the chew your leg off. I find the old Marantz gear actually sounds alot better on the more analytical Chorus II's than it does on the colored Cornwalls.Marantz has a nice warm flavor already and doesn't appear to need the extra colorations from the speaker.I haven't heard it yet but I would bet my pocket change that the Cornwalls do indeed sound much better on tubes than ss. They are a great speaker at low to moderate volumes.

Cornwalls sound their best with tubes and can sound harsh at high volumes, but over 110dB it does not seem to matter much.. I prefer the presentation of the Chorus II to the Cornwall.

Cornwalls sound their best with tubes and can sound harsh at high volumes, but over 110dB it does not seem to matter much.. I prefer the presentation of the Chorus II to the Cornwall.

The Chorus II is a heck of a speaker!

I noticed you enlisted into the Klipsch forum exactly 10 days before me. [Y]

Big Smile

Elden,

IB a technican. Educated at the University of Arkansas, and keep my diploma on the dash of my car. That way I can use handicap parking.Roll-eyes

tc

Beautiful!

I prefer ALL horns, with subs below 50 hz.

OK Claude, you are officially a BASS headWink

I'm a DETAILED bass head. I don't turn on the subs for music, just the MWMS, which don't get anywhere near 20 Hz. (maybe 45 and little blip at 31.5). I like it all and ALL the horns give it to me for sure.

Bucking the consensus, as far as best bang for the buck, I'd take Fortes over Cornwalls. Corns are "larger sounding" than Fortes, but I prefer both the Forte I and Forte IIs' midrange to the Corns' mids, and to my ears the Fortes provide a more balanced sound than Corns. And yes, I've owned both.

Of course, YMMV and I can see the opposite point of view...........

Carl.

That's because 12's have a smoother handoff to the mid horns, so there is more detail coming from the 12 than the Cornwall's 15. Yet the still go LOWER than the corns by way of the passive, giving up a little efficiency in the process, but it's flatter and more accurate.

Big Smile

Who was it who used to say 'sounds like a Sawzall going through a boiler tube'? The CW is abrasive at the top db levels. Agreed once again.

Thanks for sharing your opinions. I am new to the forum and am quite interested to read everyone's opinion of how the various models compare. I am a long time Infinty (pre-Harmon days) fan. The speakers in my main system are Infinity RS 9 Kappas, which I have owned since new in 1991. My first impression of Klipsch came from a friend of mine in the early 90's who had a pair of LaScalas, driven by the small Adcom GFA-535, which was fed directly by an Adcom GCD-575 CD player via its variable output. That was a very simple system, but delivered incredibly good sound.

Now years later, I finally brought a pair of Klipsch into the house, picking up a pair of truly near mint Forte IIs for $325. These are used in my home office, pushed by an Adcom GFA-555II. The sole source is CD, which comes from a Marantz DV-4001 DVD player serving as a transport, into a PS Audio Ultralink Two DAC. A PS Audio 5.6 Preamplifier in "straightwire" mode acts as a passive volume control. I have been EXTREEEEEEEEMELY happy with the Forte IIs in this system. The Forte IIs replaced a pair of B&W DM 602 S3s, and are a HUGE improvement. I have yet to compare them head-to-head with my 9 Kappas, using the same components driving each, but will be interested in the result.

While I haven't had enough experience with the various models to add directly to this thread, I can certainly support the position that the heritage Klipsch models represent a tremendous value on the used speaker market, when compared to many other vendors' offerings.

Rob

Who was it who used to say 'sounds like a Sawzall going through a boiler tube'? The CW is abrasive at the top db levels. Agreed once again.

Tom Brennen's description of a LaScala I believe. Personally, I think all of the Heritage stuff suffers from that. A bigger throat is the cure. Steep slope filtering is the best bandaid.

After thinking about it for a week, I'm putting my vote towards the RF-7.

Tom Brennen's description of a LaScala I believe. Personally, I think all of the Heritage stuff suffers from that. A bigger throat is the cure. Steep slope filtering is the best bandaid.

After thinking about it for a week, I'm putting my vote towards the RF-7.

While I don't think the "issue" with the small throat in the LaScala is as extreme as Tom's colorful metaphor would suggest, the issue doesn't show up until you really crank things up to earbleed levels.............nontheless, I did finally hook up the EV960 horns/DH1A 2" throat driver to my main system instead of the LaScalas. I also have a used (new to me) midbas horn with a 5" throat and phase plug to take care of the midbass. So, yes bigger horns with bigger throats sound better, if you can afford the dollars or the space.

Otherwise, pretty much all of the older Klispsch speakers can be had for $400-1,000/pair and are tough to beat, even with small throats.........vs. "the competition."

• 2 years later...

I'm familiar with the Cornwalls, and they are great. Without the long story, I ended up giving my Klipschorns to a family member when I moved to Europe 10 years ago. Recently I started looking at coming back to the USA. I tried to get my Klipschorns back, but it was no deal. Staying with my son, who gave me a room at his house to use, started a simple bedroom system. I saw an add on Criag's list for some KM-6's. I had never heard of them, but the price was more than inexpensive..Hey they have a KLIPSCH brass tag, can't be that bad. It was about 120 degrees and we met at a location and transferred the dust laden speakers to my truck. they were big, and quite heavy.. I wasn't ready for that I wanted bedroom speakers.. but OK.. the guy apologized for the dust.. lets say Dirt. Cleaned them up and set them up. In another Craigs list deal, I bought some little JBL's for my son's computer.. they offered a free Pioneer Receiver, with no remote.. maybe middle of the line. Then plugged my laptop into the amp, hey, they work.. little big.. but OK. ALL Klipsch speakers handle the high range to my liking.. their horns just fit my need and make even speakers much more expensive sound not as good to me... and trust me, I've had arguments against $20,000 speakers. I checked the internet and found the KG6 was a military knock off of the KG 5.5.. I didn't know that model either.. thinking.. maybe I've got a cheaper model.

While my low quality MP3's were playing through this free Pioneer amp.. with no remote to adjust anything.. I started rolling the power on a little. They were displaying an uncanny control over low volume.. very strong inner presence.. remember the Chorus II? OK, not possible Chorus' were great and a long time ago. Little more power, Elton John's piano is pushing my Klipschorns.. Impossible.. this is a 2 way system.. not the array tweeter horn on a Klipschorn. My son gets home from work to see what I have bought... his pride is a pair of Matthew Polk SDA/SRS's standing over 6 feet high.. we start switching songs.. him bringing in his favorite sound bites. Then we got serious and took them to performance level... I'm running stereo, but sound is surrounding the room... My Klipschorns by now have been dusted, my memory of the Chorus, Cormwall, Le Scala are getting thrashed. My son, a musician was stunned.. these cheapo Klipsch were taking on the heaviest sound we have and not even blinking, in spite of the nasty piece of masking tape put on one woofer dust cover. Neither of us could understand this.. I contacted Klipsch.. the KM6 and KG 5.5 are identical.. the difference is marketing.. the only reasonable answer was they were the last of that era working on improved Bass, without a subwoofer. From their time, most configurations expected you to have a sub.

These in my opinion could actually be the best of all time.. as ridiculous as that sounds, given the competition. What I do know, is Klipsch will service them for years and these will not be lost, they of course need to be the mains in a proper living room system.. and I'm not going to loose these.

I'm familiar with the Cornwalls, and they are great. Without the long story, I ended up giving my Klipschorns to a family member when I moved to Europe 10 years ago. Recently I started looking at coming back to the USA. I tried to get my Klipschorns back, but it was no deal. Staying with my son, who gave me a room at his house to use, started a simple bedroom system. I saw an add on Criag's list for some KM-6's. I had never heard of them, but the price was more than inexpensive..Hey they have a KLIPSCH brass tag, can't be that bad. It was about 120 degrees and we met at a location and transferred the dust laden speakers to my truck. they were big, and quite heavy.. I wasn't ready for that I wanted bedroom speakers.. but OK.. the guy apologized for the dust.. lets say Dirt. Cleaned them up and set them up. In another Craigs list deal, I bought some little JBL's for my son's computer.. they offered a free Pioneer Receiver, with no remote.. maybe middle of the line. Then plugged my laptop into the amp, hey, they work.. little big.. but OK. ALL Klipsch speakers handle the high range to my liking.. their horns just fit my need and make even speakers much more expensive sound not as good to me... and trust me, I've had arguments against $20,000 speakers. I checked the internet and found the KG6 was a military knock off of the KG 5.5.. I didn't know that model either.. thinking.. maybe I've got a cheaper model.

While my low quality MP3's were playing through this free Pioneer amp.. with no remote to adjust anything.. I started rolling the power on a little. They were displaying an uncanny control over low volume.. very strong inner presence.. remember the Chorus II? OK, not possible Chorus' were great and a long time ago. Little more power, Elton John's piano is pushing my Klipschorns.. Impossible.. this is a 2 way system.. not the array tweeter horn on a Klipschorn. My son gets home from work to see what I have bought... his pride is a pair of Matthew Polk SDA/SRS's standing over 6 feet high.. we start switching songs.. him bringing in his favorite sound bites. Then we got serious and took them to performance level... I'm running stereo, but sound is surrounding the room... My Klipschorns by now have been dusted, my memory of the Chorus, Cormwall, Le Scala are getting thrashed. My son, a musician was stunned.. these cheapo Klipsch were taking on the heaviest sound we have and not even blinking, in spite of the nasty piece of masking tape put on one woofer dust cover. Neither of us could understand this.. I contacted Klipsch.. the KM6 and KG 5.5 are identical.. the difference is marketing.. the only reasonable answer was they were the last of that era working on improved Bass, without a subwoofer. From their time, most configurations expected you to have a sub.

These in my opinion could actually be the best of all time.. as ridiculous as that sounds, given the competition. What I do know, is Klipsch will service them for years and these will not be lost, they of course need to be the mains in a proper living room system.. and I'm not going to loose these.

I thought you said without the long story? Just kidding of course and welcome to the forums!

From the non-paragraph formatting of your post I'm going to guess you're using a Mac with Safari as the browser?

Old thread, but I still stand by my thoughts: I believe the best "value", bang for the buck, most versatile, can be used anywhere, small footprint, easily maintained, "upgraded", easy to move around, etc., etc., is the Heresy. Best current "value" for the money are used Cornwalls. And used Klipschorns are fast approaching the "best value" arena...

[H]

...After thinking about it for a week, I'm putting my vote towards the RF-7.

I don't know if Dean still feels this way but how many speakers could you buy new 8 years ago and sell close to what you paid for them. If the criteria is kept Financial Value as well as Klipsch reissuing them in their Reference Home Theater system, I think the clear winner is the RF-7. [Y]

Now that I think about it...I will make the same argument for the RB-75s which aren't being reissued this year but could be the BEST surrounds for any RF-7 based HT. On that criteria I could make a profit on my investment, but I am not selling my 2 pairs. [8]

I will make the same argument for the RB-75s which aren't being reissued this year but could be the BEST surrounds for any RF-7 based HT

I have to disagree, RF-7s make the best surrounds for RF-7s! [H] I do think the RB-75's are awesome speakers and they should start making them again. I just picked up a pair of Forte's last night, very nice speaker! These things surprised me!