THE BEST (value) KLIPSCH SPEAKER OF ALL TIME (drum roll.......)

dkalsi

The one and only - Klipsch Cornwall. (at least in my opinion)

I've pretty much heard them all (except Jubilees ofcours).

I've owned Heresy, Cornwall, La Scala, Klipshorn w/ ALK universal, Klipshorn with AK-2, and Klipschorn with ALK ES and Forte II (actually my brother found a pair).

And as good as all the aforementioned speakers are, IMHO - the Cornwall is the best.

I am sure that if we get into all the technical stuff and take measurments and this and that, all other speakers might beat the Cornwall, but if your

simply talking about enjoying music --- then I feel it has to be the Cornwall. Now Yes, my Khorns with ALK ES networks and trachorns and JBL 2404 tweeters sound better, but it took too much money and time to get them to that place.

The Cornwall can be found on the used market for approximately 600-700. Add any cheap HK twin powered receiver or a Trends 10.1 and you've got yourself one heck of a system.

The reason why I am posting this is because I've always wanted to listen to Forte II and I finally got a chance to listen to them. As amazing as the Forte IIs are -- IMO the Cornwall simply walks all over them.

I think many of you, who have visited GaryMD, would agree with me that, although he has one heck of a Khorns systems, his Zebrawood Cornwalls + Craigs rebuilt Scott - 299B was also one of the sweetest systems we have heard.

(Disclaimer: this is just my opinion - don't mean to start any arguments here)

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I certainly agree that the Cornwall is probably one of the best values. I picked mine up for 400 (some slight nicks and the guy was in a hurry...) and they have sounded great. With their efficiency and impedance, they are easy on an amp in many ways and many amps sound great with them.

However, are they the best overall? Well, I still have a very soft spot in my heart for the Klipschorns. Mine are now gone, but that was a fantastic speaker (if you have got the room and corners).

-Tom

Yes, my Khorns with ALK ES networks and trachorns and JBL 2404 tweeters sound better, but it took too much money and time to get them to that place.

You're welcome to your opinion, but "your favourite" doesn't necessarily equal "best". Wouldn't best mean "best-sounding", not "easiest to get its full potential out of"?

Finally, I haven't heard the Jubilees either, just JubScalas, but based on everything I've read, the Jubilees would be it, in my opinion at least.

Islander,

Your absolutely right. I guess when I meant "BEST" - I actualy meant "best value".

I really enjoy my Khorns as they sound spectacular with the upgrades I have made. However, I will add that

my Cornwalls are not far behind and cost me less than 1/7th the amount I have invested in my Khorns.

imo

Best Klipsch value is the Heresy III. I was listening to these the other day and they are just a great bargain. It also sounds bigger than it is.

Best Klipsch speaker of all time. Klipschorn and Klipshorn Jubilee.

Cornwall is ok but bass horns rock. I'd have to rank La Scala and Belle ahead of cornwall.

For the last few months I have just been listening to my MWM/402/CT125 system, and here and there my lascalas. I think tonight I will haul the corns out on the patio and do some outdoor listening late into the night with the grill smoking away and a few cold ones, maybe a cigar too.

Thanks for reminding me that I should be listening to my cornwalls too.

I am humbled by your comment regarding my Cornwall system although I really had not much to do with the sound other than being in the right place at the right time with my purchases. Has more to do with Craig, Paul W. Klipsch and the guy who built my house. Thanks very much though. I happen to agree 100%. [;)]

My take on Khorns vs Cornwalls is this.................

If you play a superb recording on the Khorn system (preferably some good sounding vinyl on a really good TT setup) and sit in the sweetspot, that sound is really, really really hard to beat, even if you spend considerably more money.

Play a mediocre CD on a mediocre CDPlayer on the Cornwall system and it'll sound fantastic 95% of the time from any seat in the room. Sit in the sweetspot playing a really well recorded LP and it's amazing. Still won't beat the Khorn system at its best but amazing nonetheless.

I happen to agree with Dhar that the Cornwall is BY FAR the best Klipsch speaker for the money on the used market. Some folks just will not stray from horn-loaded bass and I can understand that. Others prefer Fortes or Choruses (Chorii ??) to Cornwalls, That I have a more difficult time understanding. However, $600+/- for speakers that sound as good as Cornwalls and can be enjoyed with inexpensive gear is about the best value in audio out there (IMHO of course).

For us pipe organ lovers the K'horn remains the cheapest thing you can get that does those big pipes realistically. However, I suppose it that isn't your cup of tea then I'd have to agree on the value proposition for the Cornie.

Dave

I am humbled by your comment regarding my Cornwall system although I really had not much to do with the sound other than being in the right place at the right time with my purchases. Has more to do with Craig, Paul W. Klipsch and the guy who built my house. Thanks very much though. I happen to agree 100%. Wink

My take on Khorns vs Cornwalls is this.................

If you play a superb recording on the Khorn system (preferably some good sounding vinyl on a really good TT setup) and sit in the sweetspot, that sound is really, really really hard to beat, even if you spend considerably more money.

Play a mediocre CD on a mediocre CDPlayer on the Cornwall system and it'll sound fantastic 95% of the time from any seat in the room. Sit in the sweetspot playing a really well recorded LP and it's amazing. Still won't beat the Khorn system at its best but amazing nonetheless.

I happen to agree with Dhar that the Cornwall is BY FAR the best Klipsch speaker for the money on the used market. Some folks just will not stray from horn-loaded bass and I can understand that. Others prefer Fortes or Choruses (Chorii ??) to Cornwalls, That I have a more difficult time understanding. However, $600+/- for speakers that sound as good as Cornwalls and can be enjoyed with inexpensive gear is about the best value in audio out there (IMHO of course).

Well gary, corns are great. There are those who have lived with both and have done extensive comparisons and end up liking the Forte I's the best. Forte's are also cheaper than corns, so in a bpd environment, the equation gets sticky. I have forte II's and have heard cornwalls quite a bit, and like I said, the equation in a bpd environment is a hard call. Forte's take up less real estate, that might be important to some, Forte's take some time to dial in regarding placement. We are all aware what the frequency response curves say about both. Usage comes into play also. I guess in the two channel room we are talking about strictly two channel, but without a sub in a multi-channel environment? So yes there is a more difficult time with understanding, but as things get more complicated you might change your mind about just how difficult it is to understand why a lower cost, smaller and yet deeper bass response speaker might be preferred.

For us pipe organ lovers the K'horn remains the cheapest thing you can get that does those big pipes realistically. However, I suppose it that isn't your cup of tea then I'd have to agree on the value proposition for the Cornie.

Dave

Dave,

Got my copy of Virgil Fox Vol 2 yesterday and yes, it's amazing on the Khorns! The LP was in perfect condition and was delivered right to my office. I plan to play side 2 shortly.

Thanks again for the recommendation.

Well gary, corns are great. There are those who have lived with both and have done extensive comparisons and end up liking the Forte I's the best. Forte's are also cheaper than corns, so in a bpd environment, the equation gets sticky. I have forte II's and have heard cornwalls quite a bit, and like I said, the equation in a bpd environment is a hard call. Forte's take up less real estate, that might be important to some, Forte's take some time to dial in regarding placement. We are all aware what the frequency response curves say about both. Usage comes into play also. I guess in the two channel room we are talking about strictly two channel, but without a sub in a multi-channel environment? So yes there is a more difficult time with understanding, but as things get more complicated you might change your mind about just how difficult it is to understand why a lower cost, smaller and yet deeper bass response speaker might be preferred.

OT,

Like I said, it's just my preference. I've had this discussion more than once. Maybe it's because I've owned CWs my entire adult life and it's the Klipsch sound to which I have grown accoustomed. Also, I've only heard Fortes in other's systems and never a/b'd them in my own home. Your points are well taken and you are not alone in your opinion. We will just have to agree to disagree. At least we both have what we like and like what we have.[:)]

BTW - I'm talking 2-channel only. I use my Corns as fronts for my HT but I'm not a serious HT guy.

Khorns are fussy and need proper feeding but they kill Cornwalls on almost anything.The few hundred dollars difference used is chump change for what you get. So forget price but for versatility it's hard to trump Cornwalls. Bye the bye I own Cornwalls.

Never heard Forte's but at some point somebody at Klipsch Conglom decided which one to keep and....

they stuck with the Cornie.

At the time, OT head a decision was in the offing and immediately fired off an angry letter urging retirement of the Cornwall and a new marketing program for the Forte. They looked at his online moniker and replied:

Depends

Now Gary's Cornie setup and room is about as pretty as it gets but the counterpoint is you have, at some point, to look at Gary's smug mug and that just totally ruins the experience.[:D]

Great post Dhar and food for thought.

Look the price of the entire Heritage line as compared to the the enire speaker Hi-Fi marktet. The Klipsch heritage line is an incredible Hi-Fi bargain from Heresy to Khorns. Much better than those skinny speakers.

I'd like to hear a comparison between Cornwalls and Chorus. I own some Chorus II and they're amazing! I'll own a set of Cornwalls someday! Cornwalls using a horn loaded designed woofer as a direct radiator and putting out the bass that everyone says they do, blows me away. I heard some Cornwalls once, but at a low volume. Love my Klipschorns too! Rock on Klipsch...

Gary, I'm not sure we really disagree, just giving a reason why you might have a better understanding. If someone drove up to my house and said "here take these cornwalls" you know I'm not going to do anything but help unload them.

Thebes, well, you're thebes. Who could argue with that. BTW, what's wrong with my avatar?

• Moderators

Look the price of the entire Heritage line as compared to the the enire speaker Hi-Fi marktet. The Klipsch heritage line is an incredible Hi-Fi bargain from Heresy to Khorns. Much better than those skinny speakers.

Very true there Mr seti .

THE BEST KLIPSCH SPEAKER OF ALL TIME= Any heritage and the last one is the best sounding. IMO

(/) Skinny speakers

Gary, I'm not sure we really disagree, just giving a reason why you might have a better understanding. If someone drove up to my house and said "here take these cornwalls" you know I'm not going to do anything but help unload them.

Thebes, well, you're thebes. Who could argue with that. BTW, what's wrong with my avatar?

Ok, it was lame, not up to my usual stuff, but, er, Oldtimer= depends . I'll try to make it up to by pretending to insult you next Friday.

This is just a working concept, mind you, but

A circus midget, a ballerina, a French Fop and OldTimer walk into a stereo store...