• Recent Topic Activity

• Recent Posts

• All accurate points. And I still wouldn't pay $17k for the newest collab. I'm absolutely the target demographic for this sort of stuff, and sometimes I bite.
    • So you should be darn happy with the pricing on what they came up with together and announced last week.
    • Go bigger !!  80 wpc minimum... Pioneer or Kenwood from the 1970s sounds luxurious.  🙂🙂🙂
    • @Thaddeus Smith isn't a dinosaur like me. He saw the possibilities a decade ago.    It might be because @Thaddeus Smith is a generation younger, or has younger children, or raises goats, but he clearly had the insight long, long before anyone else.    He has always been on the forefront of technology on computers, music streaming, and other things. He also struck me, when I met him, to be deeply philosophical, I think Devon Turnbull is also, maybe that's why he could see ahead.     
    • We can't understand it because we are dinosaurs.    Well, maybe there is some historical precedence for this? Did PWK collaborate with other speaker makers, and designers to develop speakers? Sold, as "Klipsch"? Other brands? Has Klipssch co-branded speakers in the distant past? I don't think they have. PWK associated himself with Orr Tape (Shamrock), other products. Recent past? Yes, Capitol Records, Klipsch Museum Editions, and McLaren).
    • I know why but won't state. I'd probably be banned for life.
    • You are like the rest of us dinosaurs. (I had the advantage of getting up to speed on him when I heard this might be a possibility a few years ago, and then more recently leading up to this announcement is the only reason I found a lot of what is below).    Devon is part artist, visionary, and engineer, I'm not sure I have seen anything like it. Devon Turnbull, like a lot of DIY hobbyist folks, spent years and years messing around with speakers, modifying them, changing them, and experimenting, along with tube amplifiers and other things related to audio. It's a passion of his apparently. The major difference between Devon and even the most advanced  DIY speaker builder is he builds and sells his speakers. He even is set apart from the the typical speaker company. His pricing modal for speakers is something that the typical dinosaur like me has difficulty appreciating until you know more about him.    His speakers sell for what appears to be the utilitarian value, with the other external factors thrown in like supply/demand, economy, etc. (like most speakers), plus an artistic value, plus a "designer label" demand because this celebrity/sports star has them, plus a built-in scarcity factor.  We are not used to/familiar. The speakers that he has built in mass production (runs of 25 to 50 pairs) all sell out, quickly.    His systems are just as likely to be displayed in a modern art museum as they are an audio/speaker showroom.    https://www.sfmoma.org/exhibition/art-of-noise/   This article discussed the hype a couple of years ago - https://www.nytimes.com/2022/07/25/style/devon-turnbull-ojas-speakers.html   "It is audible conversions like these that have made Mr. Turnbull something of a shaman for discerning speaker heads. His clients have included the designer Virgil Abloh (an Ojas setup is included in the posthumous retrospective of Mr. Abloh’s creative life at the Brooklyn Museum); Don Was, the president of Blue Note Records; the rapper Tyler, the Creator; and Ben Gorham, the founder of Byredo (who collaborated with Mr. Turnbull on a speaker-inspired scent diffuser)." "High fidelity comes at a price. Ojas equipment is made to order, starting from $2,000 for a D. I.Y speaker kit to $46,000 or more for special commissions, including an 11-foot-tall speaker that was installed at Prada’s flagship store in Manhattan for a party in May, before it was shipped to a nightclub in Mexico. Each speaker takes Mr. Turnbull at least four months to make in a warehouse in the Brooklyn Navy Yard. A 30-inch woofer could take years to track down from an audio dealer in Tokyo. Vintage Altec Lansing parts are sourced from an old manufacturer in Oklahoma City."   Again that was a couple of years ago.since then the word is he has designed multiple $1,000,000 plus systems in residences in Japan and the US. He is in high demand.   As to what or who determines if someone is special, I can't tell you. In this world where 20-something "influencers" make six figures from every IG post they make to the big time elite who make 2 to 3 million PER POST on IG, we are not going to have any way of understanding what is that makes them so special, only that they are, to the right people, in the right numbers.   All I can tell you is that whatever it is, Devon Turnbull has it.*   Travis   *At least as of now
    • It sounds like the M1 is the best of all worlds for you.  The Stereo70s is down at 75W per channel but has an extra subwoofer out if you want to go up to 2.2.  Unless you are planning to step up to 5.1 and you want to consider the Cinema70s or NR1510 you may just end up where you started. Good Luck!    
  • Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
      2.4m
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    Jeffrey Dano