Why must I buy speakers???

SilverSport

Does anyone know why some get the disease causing you to buy more and differing speakers from, say a company like Klipsch???

Four years ago I hadn't found this place and I was happy and content with one 2 channel receiver (Nakamichi TA/2A) and my kg2 speakers...I came here trying to finally put together a Home Theater and liking my kg2s so, I wanted to stay Klipsch...

A short time after being infected (carriers/enablers all) I added a pair of Heresys...I bought these because I originally wanted Heresys (heck I wanted Klipschorns) but couldn't then afford them...I met a great guy (Chicago_Pete) and soon they were mine...then a Bob Crites crossover...then another pair of Heresys...then 5 Heresys for an All Heresy Home Theater...then Quartets...then another pair...then Klipschorns...that I had to revive (with Klipsch's help) from the brink of death...many others in between...RB-5s...KSB 1.1s...KSP-S6s...Academy...KLF-C7...KSF-S5s...ProMediaUltra 2.0s...KG 5.5s...KG 4.5s...Home Made Cornwalls...perhaps I am missing some and some have been sold or traded but why do I do this...I get myself happy with what I have...then I read a little on here...then I start cruising the classifieds...craigslist...ePay...audioGon...

Does anyone else here suffer from this infernal affliction and what if anything is the cure...?

Thanks for letting me vent...Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!

Bill

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi my name is Bill H. and I purchase too many speakers............

First it started in 2000 with Quintets..........then I discovered this site and like a fool I have since bought and traded KG 4's, then 2 separate pair of Heresy's

Then 2 sets of Fortes, RF3's, RB 35's (given to my son), Cornwall and I thought I was done, but Noooooooooooooo . Finally Jamo E640's.

To add misery to company , I am getting ready to move and leaving these at my old address, to start Fresh at my new Home.

Finally though, it looks like when I get to Florida, my new place will be bigger and I can get my Cornwalls again..........or maybe I'll do the Jubilee experimentation route.................

Does it ever end ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

I've bought four pairs of Klipsch speakers and a sub since joining this forum.

I started with cornwalls in 1976. Still own them.

I bought a pair of KG2.2V for my giant tube TV a while back (10-15 years ago?)

I joined this forum about two years ago.

Then I spotted a pair Khorns on Craigs. Bought 'em.

Then Groomslake offered a bunch of speakers. I got two pair of heresys.

Then m00n had a pair of fixer cornwalls. Got them.

I also bought a KSW-15.

I check craigs almost everday, and ebay.

There is no cure.

jerol

I just think with knowledge comes curiousity, and curiosity drives interest -- and it's part of the fun to try different things. I don't think it's an illness at all -- I worry about the poor folks like Craig that haven't made a gear change in five years.[:S] I've taken some criticism for moving though a lot of gear over the years, but I sure ain't never been bored.[:P]

I cured the speaker affliction by getting what I wanted in the beginning - BIG HERITAGE. I did make the mistake of "underbuying" on the center and sub of my HT system (which taught me a lesson - wait and get what I really need for the job). But I learned to keep away from buying with intent to upgrade or just as extra - buy less and buy right when I do buy. Good speakers, good amps to drive 'em, and clean sounding simple components to tie these things together......and in the case of my "vintage" components, the appropriate restorations (amp internals, crossovers, etc).

All my purchases are done within the context of two systems that are planned out: a 2 channel vintage rig (basically done, with exception to a table which I will finally get motivated to fix eventually).....the Belles, McIntosh MX110 and two pairs of MC30s are fully restored and fully operational, and save for a chip upgrade for my Ah! disc player and a few quads of outputs for my MC30s, it's close to done. The 2 channel/theater system is much the same stage: 6 Cornwalls and 2 JBL theater woofer cabs, prepro, CD, DVD, and VRDs driving the mains (Outlaw or Mac SS driving the rest). This needs a new HD display and 2 channel preamp with HT passthrough (Peach, probably. Still thinkin' about it).

My "affliction" is mostly in the tube realm, where I feverishly have sought out stock to fill my slots for the foreseeable future. But even here the "want list" is relatively short now, having gathered the majority of my forseeable tube needs, and save for a few KT88/6550, 6L6GC/KT66, 5U4G, maybe 8 Philips family 7308, 12BH7 (oh and a few Mullard 12AX7 and 12AU7) I'm almost done with what I consider a lifetime supply. I could obtain that supply in about 70 good tubes total and be done. My "tube library" was probably my most difficult project, but was made easier by having a tube expert here locally with a huge battery of calibrated equipment. He weeded out all the bad stuff[:D], and taught me a lot of lessons about tubes in general and specific.

All of which is to say......it's all planned. Every move, a painstaking and deliberate assemblage of "the empire", intended for a lifetime of "full spectrum dominance". I've known for some time where this was all leading, it's just been a matter of filling in the pieces to the puzzle, one by one. There aren't many pieces left.

All other leftovers (like a pair of Heresy, Chorus, and KG4) were given as gifts...and most other "seek and shop" time is for hooking up others with thier audio needs. I've kept plenty busy helping other audio seekers, both local and personal friends and acquantences nationwide, and online. It's amazing that I still get questions about MC30s from posts two years ago.....I'm still helping many of those people find thier MC30 bliss, as well as more modern stuff like VRDs and such.....so I've got many reasons to keep busy with audio by "paying it forward" if I'm not doing it for myself. So this satisfies any itch to stay "involved".

I'm the "Anti-Dean" - I buy gear for life[:D] I make an occasional mistake, but I like to do it once and right - and be happy.

Really I can stop anytime. Tongue Tied

Now that is really funny...

I know what you are talking about. From my first post asking about the RB line to finally getting my first pair of Klipsch, which was the RF-83 setup. It has been all down hill for me. I have since purchased, in order, a pair of Heresy from OH, a pair of Cornwalls from OH, another pair of Cornwalls from GA. I also have changed out everything that I originally had in the HT equipment rack, my friend has every piece and his gf doesn't like it when I show up with something "new" for him. I also have three vintage receivers that I got along the way, and to say that I have a problem..... No not me....

Just don't ask my gf the same question about me....

James

Audible...I get your point and this is the conflict I feel...I see many on here with one or two nice systems and they seem totally happy...I just seem to leanmore towards the Dean camp...there are many of these speakers and componants that I either wanted to try way back when or just am curious about now...

An example...I never really heard the Quartet/Forte'/Chorus Family...I thought they were similar to the kg4...I remember not liking the kg4 way back then so I never took the opportunity...then I heard the Quartets after reading all those that love the Forte' and not being able to locate any Forte' close to home...WOW...when properly placed these unseated my beloved Heresys...and I was able to indulge that curiousity...

The same with Tube equipment...Daddy Dee had an EICO HF-81 for sale here that was right in the right price range for me to try it out without going to the poorhouse...I found out it reawakened this love of Tube sound and reminded me of my youth listening to Dad's Tube gear...

Being on here more than any other place has sparked more curiousity than I ever thought possible and so much is a curiousity that I can indulge expanding my knowledge base (which apparently was a bare shelf... [;)] )...

I enjoy this but I am no good at the selling part...mostly because I just don't want to be bothered with packing it up and then the worry or sending through any of the shippers (several bad experiences) and since I seem to have stereo everywhere...I am hoping one or more of the nephews might share this love of music and perhaps I can move some of this to them but I fear it would only make room for me to get curious again...[:D]

Bill

Yeah, just a slight affliction. I check C-List several times per day. I did find a very cheap pair of 5.2's last month that were just 5 miles down the road from me. My best deals have been at garage sales, and have been lucky to try out various speaker brands on cheap. In any case, Klipsch is my favorite and would still like a pair of KLF 30's and/or Cornwalls sometime down the road. Or maybe some Altecs, or ADS, not real picky. Prior to the 5.2's, I found a nice pair of Koss CM/1030's, and those were only a mile from me.

So, if they are local, cheap, and I can sneak 'em past my better half, Iemme at 'em!

NP - Golden Earring - To the Hilt

The madness started 10 years ago with a Kenwood HTB 5.1

I discovered Klipsch about 8 years ago, my first system was a 7.1 RF 3II ( which I still use today).

Since then I had 8 RF 3, 5 RC 3, 5 RS 3, 2 KSF - S5, 3 RF 7, 4 RC 7, 2 SB 3, 2 SB1, 2 RF 83, 2 RC 64, 2 RS 52, 2 RSW 15 , 1 RSW 12, 1 KSW 10, 1 Sub 12, 2 heresy.

I'm glad I ran out of room or I will probably have got a few heritage series such cornwalls and K-horns. I came close though.

To be honest I have been very happy with my RF 3 and my RF 83 systems. Some of the speakers were bought for comparison purposes others for friends to get started in this wonderful madness. I also wanted to experiment different configurations such towers all around, or RC 3/7 across the front etc.

I like to know what I'm talking instead of guessing, I really don't care for people who start the suggestion by someone told me ..., kind of pointless.

There is a lot of BS in this industry and honest people who actually know there stuff are hard to find, that is for a simple guy who is trying to get started.

Strange I feel that way about collecting music, hence why I moved to a music server storing my collection via FLAC. I want all those tunes/albums that I have heard in the past even if for a short time that meant something to me at the time. Most of my time is spent on music vs. collecting equipment per say. I can control my music library via a lap top (not stored on my laptop, but via a oliver OPUS 4 linked to my homewireless network along with a MELODY) to play songs as I fancy at any moment in time. I love my RF-7s and Cornwalls, but they are the means to a bigger end, the enjoyment of music.

but I like to do it once and right - and be happy.

I've done it once and right every time I've done it and been happy every time. So you see, I've been happier a whole bunch more than you. :)

I beg your pardon Dean. (and everyone else who is still changing compnents frequently in hope of finding the perfect synergy). (disclaimer: this is not intened to incite anyone)

Personally, from my perspective its impossible to do it "right", and "right every time" without an ideal (or close to it), acoustically correct listening space.

Like it or not, the room is just as important as any other component, maybe more so. Until you go through this exercise you will NEVER actually know what your speakers, or anything else, actually sounds like. You cannot compensate this through the use of electronics and/or any combination of equipment!