Our SON is gone (no not dead! sorry OT)

Cal Blacksmith

Title edited to reduce heart failures and such but it sure feels that way.

No he is not dead but it sure feels like it. Just a week ago, we packed him up and he is now in Navy boot camp in Great Lakes Il. It has been a week since we have talked to him and it will be at least two more, unless they get an unexpected chance to call on Christmas.

My head KNOWS it was the best thing for him but my heart says otherwise! I setup a website for him to help pass the time. It is the first website I have ever setup so it may not be as professional as here but it is my best effort to date. Just Saturday we received his street clothes in a box. The only thing that he was able to keep from what he packed to go (there wasn't much of it either!) was his shaving kit and toothbrush. The TSA made him throw out the shaving cream and toothpaste before he could get on the plane to Chicago. I think this airline anti-terrorist thing is a little out of hand!

Ah well, just venting. I know some of you have children in the service and can relate. It sure didn't seem so bad when I did my turn 33 years ago with the Army but my folks said yep it was!

The site is http://WWW.adaminthenavy.com not much there I guess but it made me feel better.

Ya............................ boot camp............................ good times! [bs] I'm sure he'lll be able to call on xmas. When I went through in 02 (A.F), we had to earn the privilege of calling home. If you jacked up at all during the week, NO CALL for you on Sunday! It was sort of "prisonish". We saved up our minutes we had earned, and sold them to the not so fortunate. And, of course with supply and demand in full effect, it was about 100 bucks for 15 mins of time! Of course, I NEVER did such a thing.......................

I've got one in the Navy now and another set for next August. Both will have gone through the Great Lakes training center. Son #1 is on a super carrier. It is a fine legacy they follow and a wonderful way for young men to flesh out and learn their limits. They go in on unsteady legs and come out marching strong and confident. There are many ways for men to enter into adulthood. I have one in prison, one in college and these 2 in the Navy. Congratulations and stand proud with your son.

Thanks everyone, yep it was harder on me than I think it was on him! He was egar to go, ready to take on a new life that is quite different than the last several years. The first several weeks were the worst for me when I went through Army basic in '75. After the inital shock of actually getting physically active things got better and by half way, it was much easier going but those first few weeks sure were tough! I don't seem to remember much about phone calls home but I think we were only allowed to call on Sunday. We did not need to earn minutes but the line at the pay phone was a long one and you were under pressure to hurry up from everyone in line. I don't know what Navy basic is like but once you look past the pain and the yelling, I do have some fond memories of basic. As Adam would say.... Good TIMES!

Cal,

I say Congratulations to you for not talking him out of joining. The military needs good people. It amazes me the number of parents who feel the military is not for their sons or daughters when they have not served or know very little of the military experience. Had I not served, I'm not sure which side of the fence I would be on with the US and world politics as it is today.

My son joined the US Navy in 03 March of this year and went to Great Lakes bootcamp. So, I thought I would inform you of some things based on my son's experience. His only day to write letters will be on Sunday, if they are not too busy. Once the bootcamp gets rolling, you could receive a letter every Thursday or Friday. Phone calls, when allowed, occurred maybe 4 times. It will vary, dependent on schedules and how well his company is doing with their training. He will buy phone cards at the Navy exchange or NEX as they call it. About a month into bootcamp you will receive a letter stating that his orders after bootcamp may not allow time for him to take leave before going to his A School. That is what happenned with my son. He got home for the first time since bootcamp Friday night. It has been a long 9 months, especially for his Mom. What made the time away bearable for our family was his cellphone. We probably talked 2-3 hours every weekend while he was in A School. He is between schools now and has a year of school to go, so it may not be until next Christmas before we see him again.

I wish your son the best. Please thank him for me. I hope the Navy gives him time to call home this Christmas during his breaks from shoveling snow. I know it will mean the world to you and your family.

And thankyou for serving as well.

Also, be sure to tell your son that during the last few days of bootcamp when your son will have liberty, that he must follow the rules precisely. My son told me of two sailors that violated the no smoking rules. One was set back 2 weeks for lighting up. The other sailor was set back to the beginning of bootcamp for bringing a pack of smokes back to the base. I guess the company commanders felt they had to instill their military might on these guys one last time. I bet they learned a lesson that day.

Have a Merry Christmas.

Wrinkles

Wrinkles;

Thanks so much for a rough idea of what is in store. I knew that Sunday would be the only letter writing day and I don't think there will be any chance of him comming home before A school (avionics tech), his start date for basic was based on when the A school started so I can't see any break in time for him to come home and we are prepared for that. I will send him his cell phone when he gets to A school if he is allowed to have it, I don't need it and we are paying for it anyway and there is 1000 minutes to share between our 3 phones. The wife uses MABEY 10 minutes a month and I am under 100 so that leaves 900 for him to call home on...... and his friends. The free nights and weekends, long distance and roaming will help a lot also.

Thank your son for us espically now that he is home for the holidays, give him a big hug!

Thanks to you also, us vets need to stick together, we share some things that only can be experenced in the millitary. No matter what branch a person serves with, they are better people for having done so.

As to talking him out of it, I was actually the one who nudged him into it. He was drifting around with little aim or goals. He got into a situation with traffic ticketts and fines where it looked hopeless to him and I told him that if he went in the millitary, I would fix the problem (the bail and fines due were quite sizeable and he had no source of income to pay them with) I know the millitary made me grow up and I am so much the better for it. I do beleave that it will do the same for Adam.

Also, be sure to tell your son that during the last few days of bootcamp when your son will have liberty, that he must follow the rules precisely. My son told me of two sailors that violated the no smoking rules. One was set back 2 weeks for lighting up. The other sailor was set back to the beginning of bootcamp for bringing a pack of smokes back to the base. I guess the company commanders felt they had to instill their military might on these guys one last time. I bet they learned a lesson that day.

Man does that bring back memories! Although it has been 30 years (I guess I'm getting old after all), I went to Coast Guard boot camp in 1978. I remember on graduation morning, being asked "do you have anyone coming to see you graduate?" After answering yes, I was told "Use the phone in my office to tell them not to bother showing up."

Due to some pre-graduation festivities the night before, in which I was NOT a participant BUT it was my idea, I was not allowed to graduate with my class and was reverted to a junior company. And in the typical military fashion, they made me guard an area that was "off-limits" to visitors; but, where all the luggage for the graduates would be picked up after the ceremony. That way I had to watch all of my friends pick up their luggage and go.

Quite the sucky day; but, I laugh about it now--all part of the growing up experience.